1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gartrell Johnson RB

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Apr 27, 2009.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think this guy is going to surprise some people:

Hell, even Joey Porter Chestbumped Johnson on this awesome run for a TD!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Whatever, I don't think we'll see him at all this season, preseason probably but not regular season. Prove me wrong Gartrell, prove me wrong.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Wouldn't be surprised if he got a few carries a game as a power back, I'm just willing to line him up and see what happens.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    They all look good in shorts.

I dont think he even makes the practice squad personally. Who was that guy Thomas we drafted last year? This is the same kind of pick.

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You are not impressed my anything, are you?

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    To be fair, I probably could have scored a TD on that play. The blocking was that good.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    After re-evaluating I get what AJ was doing with this draft class. I ranted week in and week out last year about how little heart this team showed, and AJ must agree because he passed on more talented players to aquire the high motor, high character, relentless players that make up teams like Pittsburgh and Tennessee. Its about time AJ went after some "nasty" players.

I like what I see from Larry English, Louis Vasquez, Terrell Green, and if Vaughn Martin is for real he could easily replace Jamal Williams someday.:tup:

But the Johnson pick made no sense when we already have Hester and Tolbert, both of whom are more complete players.

8. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Tolbert couldn't block if his life depended on it and Hester has not played a whole bunch. Besides I'm not sure this guy was drafted to be a fullback as much as a Michael Turner type running back. Who knows though. I really don't know much about Johnson other than the two videos shown, but I can tell you that he might of ran a 4.75 officially, but he sure didn't look slow on that TD drive.

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I hear ya LaDeezie, that's what I thought too. Too much emphasis is placed on that damn 40 time when it's frontline speed without pads. I mean it's nice to have speed, but being a solid football player was based purely on frontline speed in a 40 yard dash then all we would need to do is draft trackstars (like Al Davis does...) I don't know if GJ is going to be the next Turner but like I always reiterate, AJ and the scouting team are privy to a lot more info then any of us, having been scouting players for YEARS and their livelyhood depends on picking the right guys for this team. We just pick players like it's fantasy football or something. I like what I see in Gartrell, but only time will tell. I heard the same things about the Burner back when he was taken.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Eh, but The Burner was a NIU superstar and about two votes away from being a finalist for the Heisman Trophy. And the reason for that was his uncanny ability to plow through anything. Guys were all over him and he just kept on getting yards. It was impressive. Now, for Johnson I've seen him play in person and I watched him at least twice on TV these past two years. He's nothing special. Usually he's wrapped up unless he can plant and shoot, kind of like LT of this year. If he had nowhere to go he was done. But Johnson didn't have the vision LT had so 9 times out of ten the lane could be there and he just couldn't get there. However, one stat I seriously missed is MWC rushing leader. It might not take much in that conference but that is something. So maybe, I just didn't get a good enough look at him and he will show up in the regular season, with a TD or a couple important rushing yards. I certainly hope so...

11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
  12. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Absolutely. Not only are we not familiar with these guys but there is more to picking a football player than pure speed. Even if GJ ends up being a wasted draft pick, it really didn't cost the bolts much so it's no biggie. The risk is worth the reward.

Time will tell who pans out and who doesn't, that's the great part of this time of year, we get to be excited about the season all over again.

I LOVE FOOTBALL!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Totally; I love that we don't go for the first round supposed stud rb's; this guy is a hammer and will compliment the other backs in camp. He may be another later round gem like the burner or sprolesie...

14. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Dude looks like Eldra Buckley. :icon_huh:

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I'm not going to call this guy a hit because of some practice plays in shorts, but I also don't think it's fair to call him a bust just because they drafted some other RB who turned out to be a non factor last year.

The Chargers also drafted some no name RB in the 5th round in 2004 who turned out to be fairly good.

And no, I'm not calling Gartrell Johnson the next Michael Turner. I'm simply pointing out the irrelevancy of calling him a non factor because of a previous draft pick who played the same position.

16. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree. It isn't fair to compare Johnson to his predecessor at that pick or any other pick for that matter. If he's truly an NFL caliber RB then he'll make it and impact the team's progress positively. But personally, from what I've seen out of him, I don't see that happening. But as I pointed out before he lead the MWC in rushing and put 284 rushing yards on Fresno State, who many experts touted as a BCS spoiler due to their defense and who's defense actually was spot on all season. He could be a lot better than I originally thought. Maybe he's developed into a smart, powerful RB and will progress into the type of RB Norv wants on the field.

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Johnson was picked to move the pile in short yardage situations. He runs hard and seems to slash. The Chargers have an interesting mix for short yardage situations and third downs. LT, Sproles, Hester and maybe Johnson.

18. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
  19. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Hollywood Leo is right Gartrell Johnson is no new Michael Turner, but a possible back up as RB for LT and Sproles.
    Hester and Tolbert got to fight for the FB spot.

20. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Let's be honest...Michael Turner is a pretty high standard....We're talking about a guy who was a steal when we drafted him and is now a pro-bowl back. A do-over of the 2004 draft would have had Michael Turner going in the 1st round...not the 5th where we grabbed him.

To put in into perspective, this year's 1st round backs, Moreno and Beanie Wells are unlikely to produce like Turner either.

We just need Johnson to be productive in his limited opportunities...to provide a breather for LT and grind it out while playing well on ST. We have two backs who are going to shoulder the important carries for this team.

21. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715