1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gartrell Johnson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 26, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Gartrell Johnson, RB

Now that's what I'm talking about! Impact rookies! Look, I don't mean to be rude, but if you think that Gartrell isn't going to be seeing a lot of time on the field this season you're nuts. The Chargers management always realized that it would probably benefit LT to have a power back to handle the short-yardage situations and put-the-game-away situations. The problem was that the coaches loved the idea of LT getting the ball in his hands. Not only was he a lock to get that one or two yards, there was a chance he was going to break a big run! This coaching style drove away Jesse Chatman (4.3 Yds/Car in 2004) and Michael Turner (6.3 Yds/Car in 2006). The compliments just didn't get the ball in their hands enough. Finally, when management said "to hell with it, LT or bust!", we got bust. LT wound up playing injured all year and being completely ineffective or absent during the playoffs. We had no way to get the short-yardage by way of the run. The offensive line turned into a decent pass-blocking line instead of a bull-rushing one. Gartrell is here to change that. I'm looking for 120-150 carries from him, a Yds/Car average over 4, a more balanced offense and 3 healthy HBs going into the playoffs.

http://www/2009/5/23/884415/the-san-diego-chargers-?ref=CBS

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I highly doubt he gets 120+ carries this year. Even the year MT averaged 6.3ypc he only had 80 carries, and that was the year Sproles had a broken leg so it wasn't even like he was splitting time at #2 RB.

With LT, Sproles, and Hester ahead of him the only way he breaks 50 touches is if one or two of those guys are injured.

Consider also that Norv has made this Philip Rivers team, with the increase in pass attempts it only means LT and Sproles will eat up the 20-25 run plays per game.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Anything is possible.Lets just see how they come out of Training Camp.

I would love to see an old fashoined 3 back set with 2 running backs and a full back.