1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

@#*!! Gas Price$

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lightning's Girl, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Found an excellent post on Craigslist:

I know you'd all like to think this is an oil company conspiracy, but you need to look to your own politicians first. Oil companies have been warning state legislators that this was going to happen, but every politician is to afraid to appear to be friendly to oil companies. Here are some proposals that have been proposed to reduce the refining crunch- but state legislators have refused to take them up:

1. Allow an increase in refining capacity. Although some new capacity has been added through efficiency increases, it hasn't increased nearly as much as demand. The regulation, needed legislation, and potential litigation doesn't make it worthwhile to try and build more here.

2. Change California emissions standards to match the rest of the country. Current requirements require different summer and winter blends (in California) only for pollution control. This requires both maintenance downtime, and significantly more complicated equipment- which needs more maintenance. Oh, and as much as you complain about maintenance downtime, how much would you complain if there was a refinery fire because of poor maintenance?

3. Be consistent with the environmental standards picked. The oil companies said MTBE was a bad idea from the beginning. They said it posed a greater environmental hazard than it offset. But california made a law requiring it anyways. This required refinery additions to be built costing somewhere near $400 million per. Not a small investment, even for an oil company.
    Then California turns around- outlaws MTBE, and sues the oil companies for the damage it caused. Do you think that encouraged investment in new California refineries?

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :icon_eek: :icon_wtf: :oops: :icon_rofl:

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I put a small box on the bottom of the right side column that lists the local San Diego gas prices (high & low). You can click on it to get all the lowest gas prices in the San Diego area. For thos of you that aren't in the San Diego area, you can go to http://www.gasbuddy.com and enter your zip code to find the best gas prices around.

Sometimes it might not seem liek a big deal to spend a little extra for gas if it's more convienent, but patronizing the higher priced gas stations just reinforces that those higher prices are ok to charge. If we all only patronized the lowest priced gas stations, they'll all have to lower their prices because the higher priced stations would get very little business.

Some of these higher priced stations are 20¢, 30¢, 40¢ or more higher than other station in the same area.

4. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Nothing like hitting the screamers in the face with facts. People should also keep in mind the fact that the politicians have NO INCENTIVE to do anything about this as they get massive revenues from gas taxes for their little programs especially here in the heavily Democratic State of California. Again the hypocrisy knows no boundaries........

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    So the high price of gas is the Dems fault?? :icon_eek: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

6. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    In California they're a large part of it; they've been running this state for a long time BFISA. Obviously it's not all their fault but what's been said in the last few posts is the truth. And IMO the Governator is a Conservative Democrat however I do like the guy as long as he stays strong on fiscal issues.

I paid $3.59 a gallon today for mid-grade.

7. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    :lol: It's all good man don't let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

You don't want to change your driving/transportation habits any more than anybody else so suck it up.

8. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    So how many people really CAN change their driving habits?? I live 12 miles from work.......sure as hell not gonna ride a bicycle, especially not when it rains for six months straight. And I'm not going to move closer to work---I like my home out in the country, where I actually pay less than I would for a similar house in town. Yes, I make fewer trips to town than I used to, and we use my husband's Hyundai for most of our errands; otherwise, we just don't have much room to cut back on gasoline. And I think it's safe to say many other folks are in the same boat.

The thing that makes me so mad is that the oil companies know this, and we're at their mercy because we need them so much. The politicos know it too, and since THEY'RE not being hurt, why should they worry? The prices can go higher than the sky for all they care; their contributors include Big Oil pooh-bahs, and both parties are, IMHO, equally guilty of selling out.

That's my rant for the day. Oh, and gas is actually DOWN five cents a gallon for Memorial Day weekend. Let's see how long it lasts.

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Holding steady at $2.88 at Ft Sam Houston!! :icon_eek:

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,353
    Paid $3.25 gal today. Thought it would be close to $4.00 gallon this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    'Round these parts, I've actually seen the prices drop acuppola pennies :icon_eek: :icon_huh:

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,183
    The calm before the storm!

13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word

14. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Yup..........summer ain't even here yet.

15. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Update: The price has actually gone DOWN 10 cents a gallon over the past week and a half. It started dropping just before Memorial Day weekend, and is now hovering around $3.29/gal. May this be the beginning of a nice, loooooooooong downward trend.........and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest the oil barons' armpits!:tup:

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I paid $2.85 at a cash only station today.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Paid $2.93 at a WaWa today. That's down 8 cents from 5 days ago at the same store.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I paid $3.18 a gallon yesterday at Arco; today it's $3.14 and dropping. This is DEFINITELY going in the right direction, although I'll feel a lot better when/if it goes under three bucks.

And not so many years ago, we used to think TWO bucks a gallon was unreasonable......hell, we groused when it shot up to a dollar during the energy crunch of the late '70s. Who'da thunk we'd ever see prices like these, and actually be relieved to pay less than $3/gal.?? (Those savings haven't reached us here in the Pacific NW, but with any luck............) WOW.

• Like Like x 2
  19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    $2.79 'round these parts!! :yes: :tup:

20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    [​IMG]

21. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,153
    It was edging down to $3.01 at the Chevron, and Arco was selling regular for $2.96 when I left for WA.:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I've heard of $2.77 around town :tup:

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  24. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I'm jealous!!!

Yanno, it's a pathetic commentary on life in these United States when we're CELEBRATING gas prices under 3 bucks a gallon.........but after paying almost $3.50/gal. for a while there, anything less is good.

Except..........now food prices are going through the roof........

25. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup.

In the next 72 hours, we will find out if the grocery strike will be back. Vons will be voting on the 21st to accept or reject a contract and all signs indicate, they will strike - again. The last strike lasted almost 5 months and was ugly.

My house is 1,900 sq. ft and the electrical bill is $400.000 per month easily. In Texas that same house costs me $90.00 per month.

**** is whacked in California and as a native, I am ready to bail and hang with sasquatch and tell the whole world to kiss my ***. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I gotta tankful today at $2.71!! :icon_eek: :yes: :tup: :abq2:

27. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Yep, that's why we moved to Oregon 19 years ago........and why we'll stay here, even though everything's getting more expensive all the time and I'd give *almost* anything to move back to Ramona.:no:

My 3,000 sq. ft. house on 2.75 acres is $1050/mo. and our electric bill runs about $85/mo. in summer (at Christmas time, it's >$300 because of all the lights:unsure: ). In the fall and winter months it runs in the neighborhood of $250/mo because I can't stand being cold (yah, I'm a wuss). For water, we pay about $35/mo. in winter and $45/mo. in summer. Not bad.

Now, if I could have something similar in SD County for the same amount, I'd move back in a heartbeat. ~SIGH~

28. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Getting ready to put in an offer on 3,000 sq ft on 1.5 ac in Ramona. Mortgage will be about $2,600.00. (Ouch)

29. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Posting a little about gas prices, yesterday was the first time I saw prices dip below $3.00 per gallon here in San Diego this year, more specifically Chula Vista.

An AM/PM had gas for $2.94 a gallon and the local Costco was selling for $2.92 a gallon.