1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gasol to the Lakers!!! Bye bye Kwame.

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by sickswonnyne, Feb 1, 2008.

1. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-grizzlies-lakerstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    They gave up way too much to get him.

3. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Don't like giving up Crittenton, but you got to give something to get something, and if you're going to keep Kobe you can just wait for guys to develop.

4. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    Even with this trade, I don't see the Lakers going deep into the playoffs. Especially if Bynum isn't 100%. Plus Kobe can still opt out of his contract next season. Or is it the season after that?

5. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    Why? Because of Crittenton? Kwame is garbage, the 2 1sts are going to be at best in the twenties (in a two round draft, that's not great), and Gasol is a YOUNG 27 yr. old stud (especially compared to 30 yr. old Jermaine O'Neal and 32 year-old Garnett) who'll pair up with Kobe and Bynum for at least 3 years. Farmar is going to be the pg of the future, and even though Crittenton might become a stud, Farmar will still solidify the position for years to come. He is a legit starter now, but Fisher just knows how to run the offense so well.

C- Andrew Bynum Chris Mihm
    PF- Pau Gasol Ronny Turiaf
    SF- Lamar Odom Luke Walton
    SG- Kobe Bryant Trevor Ariza
    PG- Derek Fisher Jordan Farmar

plus Sasha Vujacic, and Vlad Radmanovic, that's the best depth we had in years.

6. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    I hope you don't think he's gonna opt out NOW? Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for the Finals this year, but do u really think Kobe is gonna leave, especially after he got what he wanted? Shaq's gone and after a few looong years now he has his superstar bigman sidekick in Pau Gasol, to go along with the ever improving Bynum. Odom can be the third scorer like he should be. And the pgs are solid with Fish and Farmar. The future is tooo good for him to leave now.

7. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    You know how Kobe is, he's Mr. Drama. A first round exit this year, and he'll be complaining again. So do hold your breath and hope that he doesn't opt out.

If I were Jerry Buss, I'd try to deal him and get a couple of high draft picks, then build around Bynum.

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Hey, as long as the Celtics don't win the NBA Championship in June, I really don't care about who actually wins it.

Kobe can get another ring for all I care, even though I'm a fan of LeBron and the Cavaliers now.

With the Patriots quite possibly winning the NFL title tomorrow, can you imagine how much more obnoxious Bostonians would be in June if they owned all 3 major sports championships?

They already have MLB with the Red Sox.

They are likely going to have NFL with the Pats.

God help us if they get the NBA title with the Celtics.

Even worse would be if they also got four by winning the NHL title with the Boston Bruins (although that's unlikely since the Bruins are just average right now).

9. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    I with you there. But I don't think that the Celtics even with Garnett, can get past the Western Division Champs. My prediction is that the Suns win the title over the Cavs. I'm a Garnett fan, but Lebron will lead his team past the Celtics.

10. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Kobe can opt out after next season is over. So the Lakers have him this year and next. If Kobe complains again they could deal him next season and still have Farmar, Odom, Gasol, Bynum and whatever they got for Kobe, which would at least be 1 quality young player, but most likely 2 and a potential guy.

11. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    I'm actually not at all above trading Kobe if he becomes a burden. I believe he is the best player in the game today, mostly due to the fact he can play amazing offense AND defense, which few can. But if he starts to cause major turmoil for my Lakers, than hopefully he can be traded away for a few guys who could come close to his production, like Gilbert Arenas or a couple of the Bulls' studs. I still believe we could build around our twin towers in Gasol and Bynum, with Odom and a guard scorer, and still compete for the finals. But I doubt we'd get even return for him.

But the question is, why would Kobe ***** and moan AFTER he got what he wanted? You think he would be traded to a contender that's better than the one they built in L.A.? Obviously it depends on how the rest of the season goes, but even if they're one-and-out this season, they still have a bright future over the aging Spurs and an aging Nash-led Suns. Would a going-to-be 32 year-old (in 2010) Kobe risk getting traded to team that's not as far along as the Lakers? Or earn his glory at home? The Lakers championship window was blown wide open with the Gasol addition, plus he can remain a hero in LA. Why leave?

12. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    Because he's shown in the recnet past that he has no patience. Now that the Lakers have finally made a trade for a legitimate sidekick for Kobe, he has nothing left to complain about. But he does need to show that regardless of how this season ends, he has the maturity and patience to commit himself for the long run.

If he complains yet again, get him the hell out of LA.

13. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Kobe isn't going anywhere. Take him out of that lineup and the Lakers lose beaucoups revenue. Jerseys on backs and butts in seats sell because of Kobe not because of anyone else on that team.

Gasol causes the Lakers to have (with a healthy Bynum) one of the best forecourts in the league...probably able to compete with Boston, Detroit, San Antonio, and definitely Phoenix.

Kobe will end his career as a Laker. Book it.