1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gates’ status for rest of season up in the air

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Dec 13, 2010.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Antonio Gates' status for rest of season up in the air - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

San Diego Chargers star tight end Antonio Gates(notes) isn't sure if he's going to be able to play again this season because of his torn plantar fascia in his right foot.

Gates was unable to play Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs.

“This week it didn’t feel right,” Gates told the San Diego Union-Tribune.. “I didn’t feel I would be able to contribute. I’ve always been week to week, up and down. Over time I’m going to have make a decision … Does it make it difficult for the coaches to put the proper gameplan together? I don’t know. I think that’s something we will definitely talk about this week.

Randy McMichael(notes) started in Gates' place. He may need to do for the rest of the year at this rate.

“I’m going to take another look at it, see how I feel going into this Thursday night game. If not, I’m going to try to get an estimate how much time I need to get back healthy. If that’s two weeks, four weeks, that remains to be seen whether or not I should make some decision about finishing the season or continuing to try to fight through this injury.”

2. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I think Gates is such a mature and level headed guy that brings a lot of class to the team. Obviously he's a tremendous player, but he has come through for the Chargers at every opportunity. Even back with his contract status issues. He has certainly come a long way from the day I heard we fielded a basketball player at TE. Hope he is healthy for years to come and gets back to starting as soon as he can.

3. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    He needs to heal so we can have him in the future. He has such an impact as a player but lucklly we have guys that have stepped up till he's ready.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I would vote don't play the rest of the regular season, but don't go on IR.

If in 4 weeks his foot starts feeling great, he'll only regret not being able to help us in the playoffs (if we get there of course).

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Saw this coming before the plantar faciitis. Yea sit the rest of the way if needed, AG you are much more needed in the post season *help granted*

I am not that down on McMicheal. He has done pretty well to be a realistic option to throw the ball to.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    There are times when McMichael just can't get open, it concerns me in the long run against teams that are better against the pass.

If Gates' injury was carrer threatening the trainers wouldn't have let him play at all to this point. I think he needs to stay on the active roster until the season is over, just in case it starts feeling better. No practice squad grunt is going to make that much of a difference from here on out.

7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    If we make the playoffs gates has to play no matter what. He should actually play now. HIs toe may never get better. But we didn't hire gates for his toes. WE hired him for his hands and big body and agility to catch a football. He never did move that well so I don't know what the problem is with him playing him. Get out there gates. We don't care if you limp. You've got great hands and body agility at catching the ball. Thats why you your an nfl player.

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Great! More bad news. Looks like things are falling apart before January this year.

9. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I would take this article more seriously if it wasn't written on Yahoo! Sports (home of Mike Silver) and from some guy with the handle "RavensInsider" ..

10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Foober's right, we need him the Playoffs and the mentality right now is that the team is already in the Playoffs, but not Playoff teams. That is the sole source of relief. He needs to stay active into January (assuming the team makes it) so that he may step up, and sit out, when it's necessary. And it WILL be necessary.

11. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I am OK with keeping Gates on the active roster but letting him rest and heal. VJ showed enough against the Chiefs to cause him to draw the attention Gates usually gets, which should allow our other WR's to operate against single coverage most of the time.