1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gates boots the boot, works out

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Nov 24, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Source: <a href="http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/11/25/sports/professional/chargers/112405193155.txt" target="_blank">North County Times</a>

By Jay Paris

SAN DIEGO ---- Antonio Gates' boot was made for walking, but not playing football.

Thursday, the boot took a hike when Gates shed it and practiced with the Chargers for the first time this week.

Gates, who sustained a sprained right foot in Sunday's win over the Buffalo Bills, was able to participate in part of the workout. He did some running but didn't take part in the team portion of the practice.

"I tested it out, and basically I'm going to wait until (today) and see how it feels,'' said Gates, the team's top pass catcher with 56 receptions for 784 yards and seven touchdowns. "We'll just decide from there to see if it's sore or I have any pain.

"Still, it feels better, obviously, than it did (Wednesday). So that is a good sign."

Gates' ailing foot had been encased in the walking boot since he was hurt in the third quarter of Sunday's game.

Coach Marty Schottenheimer was also upbeat about his All Pro's return to practice.

"He did some work out here today,'' Schottenheimer said. "(His availability) is going right down to game time. We are cautiously optimistic. He ran and he cut. It was positive."

His limp was also gone.

"I'm going to constantly prepare to play this weekend and take care of the foot,'' Gates said.

Quick hits

LT Roman Oben (foot) and ILB Ben Leber (foot) didn't practice on Thursday. Oben, who's listed as questionable, likely won't play on Sunday. Leber is undergoing surgery next week and is expected to be placed on injured reserve, which would end his season. ... WR Kassim Osgood's mother invited the players without family in the area to Thanksgiving dinner. ... The team works this morning, then will depart for Washington for Sunday's game. The weather for Sunday is forecast to be clear with temperatures possibly reaching the 50s.