1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gates deal done!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargersFan, Aug 23, 2005.

1. ChargersFan

ChargersFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Gates Agrees to Six-year Deal

Aug 23, 2:38 PM (ET)

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Antonio Gates agreed to a six-year contract Tuesday with the San Diego Chargers, three days after he was suspended for missing a team-imposed deadline for reporting to camp.

The All-Pro tight end will still have to sit out the season opener against Dallas on Sept. 11.

When Gates didn't report to camp on Saturday as the team mandated, it triggered an automatic three-game suspension that includes the final two exhibition games.

Gates had a breakout year in 2004, helping the Chargers go 12-4 and reach the playoffs for the first time in nine seasons. Gates caught 13 touchdown passes - a league record for tight ends - and led the Chargers with 81 catches for 964 yards.

2. ChargersFan

ChargersFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    What the heck was all the fuss about. I think I'd be lookin' for a new agent!!!
    What a complete waste of time, effort, and mental anguish!

Well, at least he's back!!!

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Woo hoo! That is awesome! They wanted a 3 year deal, now we get him for 6! It's too bad a deal wasn't done sooner and that he has to miss the 1st game. But we should be able to handle Dallas without him. :kegger:

4. SDITSURFER

SDITSURFER BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I came home and just found out! I dont care what the terms are at the moment at least its a done deal and he's camp

5. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +744
    Xtra sports reported that he signed a deal worth $24 million dollars witha $10 million signing bonus.

6. skiman

skiman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Now I can draft him in the 1st round with my other 2 1st round picks.Thats awesome...

7. ChargersFan

ChargersFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Uhhh.....well.....uhhhh....

I was just watching an interview w/ Gates after the deal was signed and it was mostly the obligitory congrats, etc. The interesting comments came near the end of the interview. Gates was asked about this "alleged" :wink: missed plane that caused him to be unable to report on Saturday and why, if that was the case, that no one bothered to call the Chargers and explain it. His reply was something along the lines of "Uhhh.....well.....uhhhh.... I'm just looking ahead now and am excited to be on the field". Hell yeah, we are too, but as I said before, Agent, smagent!!! You got PUNK'D. OK..time to move on.

I fully believe he would have got the same deal had he just come to camp in the first place. The Chargers have gotten better about meeting in the middle since the Leaf days.

That being said, it's time to show us that last year was not a fluke and get out there and score 15 TD's this year. I am also glad that I can draft him for my Fantasy league.

Oh, that reminds me, what the heck happened to the BoltTalk league. I am sure that many, if not most, of you participate in some Fantasy Football league, somewhere. Why not one more?

Click here: http://www.bolttalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23

OK...rant over. Gates, do what you do best!

Go Boltz

8. LT teh ghost

LT teh ghost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +313
    It seems that holding out is costing the players more than in the past

9. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +744
    There wasn't enough responses. We still have time. I'll create one on yahoo and if you guys are interested, then join up. I'll post details later today in the FF forum.

10. T10

T10 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I'm so happy that we signed the best TE in the NFL for the next 6 years.

11. skiman

skiman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Well just to let you know Guys My brother in law drafted him just right before me. Boy was I pissed. who could blame him. He is a awesome guys to watch. Theres is always next year.

12. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +744
    Skiman, I had him last year, and I won my FF league. This year, I was lucky to get him on both of my ff teams. I just hope that he produces similar numbers again this year.

13. Niners

Niners BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess the jury is still out to see if he really deserves the big time contract he has been pushing for all along. To say he is Gonalez or even Todd Heap or Shockey is still TBD. I find it hard to believe the Steelers are taking so long with Hines Ward who is more proven than Gates. 8)