1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gates, Dielman, Rivers voted to Pro Bowl (If you care)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Dec 28, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Gates, Dielman, Rivers voted to Pro Bowl
    BY CHRIS JENKINS
    TUESDAY, DECEMBER 28, 2010 AT 4:07 P.M.

Chargers tight end Antonio Gates and offensive left tackle Kris Dielman again were named starters for the Pro Bowl and quarterback Philip Rivers also was selected for the All-Star contest that's returning to Hawaii next month. The game will be played Sunday, Jan. 30, a week before the Super Bowl.

Selected as alternates were left tackle Marcus McNeill, nose tackle Antonio Garay and outside linebackers Shaun Phillips.

Although the Chargers have had the top-rated defense in terms of yardage allowed throughout much of the 2010 season, none of their defensive players were chosen to the Pro Bowl. Others may be added as replacements, especially when it becomes apparent which Pro Bowl players won't be able to play due to injury or their extended participation in the postseason.

Gates was selected for his seventh straight Pro Bowl, though there's a very good chance he won't be able to play in this one, given the foot issues that have sidelined him over the past month. Even as the Chargers were struggling through the first half of their season, Gates was a monster, scoring nine touchdowns while catching 40 passes in the first nine games. Despite missing five games, his total of 10 touchdowns ranks him fifth among NFL receivers.

The Pro Bowl will be Dielman's fourth in a row, his second as a starter.

This is the fourth time Rivers has been selected, but he has yet to play in the game due to injury (twice) and his son being born (last year). Rivers, who can wind up as the NFL's top passer with a big game Sunday at Denver, became the only Chargers quarterback besides Dan Fouts to throw for more than 4,000 yards in three consecutive seasons.

Rivers finished fourth in overall fan balloting for the Pro Bowl with 1,039,618 votes, but Tom Brady (1.87 million) of the New England Patriots and Peyton Manning (1.13 million) of the Indianapolis Colts were first and third, respectively. Second in fan voting was Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick (1.52 million). Selections are made via equal vote of fans, coaches and players.

Gates is the only Chargers player who led his position in fan voting.
    Gates, Dielman, Rivers voted to Pro Bowl - SignOnSanDiego.com

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Kaeding was snubbed.

3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I care because I will be there this year. My wife was talking about going to Hawaii, and I wanted to catch a Pro Bowl there before it goes away forever. So we're both happy. I hope Rivers decides to play this year, maybe we can hang out.

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    So VJ got snubbed too?

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    dont really care. only clicked to confirm what I already knew once again PR voted, but as a alternate.

This imo is one of those times where it gets murky for some. Some would see PR taking a start in the Pro Bowl with Brady at least bowing out if given the chance *not sure how* as being selfish.. I think its deffinatly about time he had a Pro Bowl apearance, previous misses exscused. Sucks that it is still before the SB... wtf BADell?

On another note NFL related *since not much else BUT NFL as a whole to cling to at this point being in the Off Season* DAMN suck *** Falcons couldnt keep my NFC Bucs alive in the playoffs ;/ Owell they have improved dramitcaly overnight and with not much major changing. I cant wait for next year, whatever year that is.

6. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    yep back when scifres was snubbed for lechler the argument was even though Scifres was a better positional punter, lechler had better statistical numbers...so Keading should have been a lock for statistically being an elite kicker.

7. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Dielman = overrated and overpaid

8. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Come on... I am running out of comebacks for these type of comments. :lol:

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Concur. Clary had as good a year and that is saying something.

10. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    That had better be a joke lol

11. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    If the Pats are in the Super Bowl, this will occur...

12. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Cue Leo with the "Sarcasm" sign...

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    [​IMG]

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Thought dielman had a pretty good year but yeah not a pro bowl year
    Clary was better but I still want to upgrade him

16. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Miami Leads the Nation with Most Pro Bowl Selections

Eight former Hurricanes on rosters for NFL's all-star game

Dec. 30, 2010

2011 NFL Pro Bowl Rosters | UM Pro Bowl History

For the fifth consecutive season, the University of Miami has more former Hurricanes on the National Football League's (NFL) Pro Bowl rosters than any school in the nation.

Miami easily outdistanced the University of Tennessee for the most former players to earn the NFL recognition as eight `Canes were elected. The Volunteers had five former players on the Pro Bowl rosters.

In fact, Miami has more players in the Pro Bowl than the entire Big 12 (seven players), Pac 10 (7) and Big East (4).

Michigan, Cal and Virginia Tech were the only other schools with at least three former players named to the rosters.

The 2011 Pro Bowl teams are filled with eight `Canes and headlined by AFC starters Andre Johnson (Texans), Reggie Wayne (Colts), Ray Lewis (Ravens), Ed Reed (Ravens) and Vince Wilfork (Patriots). Also joining their fellow alums in pro football's all-star game are Antrell Rolle (Giants), Brandon Meriweather (Patriots) and Devin Hester (Bears).

Last season UM placed a program-record 11 players on the Pro Bowl rosters and has had at least five players elected on nine occasions since 1999.

Lewis has been named to the Pro Bowl in 11 of the last 13 seasons, including five straight. Wayne and Reed have also been named to five straight Pro Bowls. Fellow starter Johnson has been in four of the last five, while rising NFL stars Meriweather, Rolle and Wilfork have been in the last two.

The Pro Bowl will be played on January 30, 2011 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawai`i, and be broadcast by Fox.

Miami Leads the Nation with Most Pro Bowl Selections - MIAMI OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE