1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gates & English getting back in form

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    NOTEBOOK: Gates taking positive steps

Antonio Gates finished a full practice on Sunday, running and cutting and feeling good.

“It’s a really, really good sign,” Gates said. “It actually put a smile on my face. This was a really positive day for me.”

Gates had done only individual drills Saturday, his first time in practice in more than a week. That he was able to push it the next day is significant progress for the Pro Bowl tight end as he battles through a recovery from plantar fasciitis. It also lends credence to the belief he will be ready for the season.

Nuts ‘n’ Bolts

• Outside linebacker Larry English practiced for a second straight day and looked unfettered, still taking most of his reps with the second team after sitting out the first two weeks of camp recovering from foot surgery. Travis LaBoy, who signed as a free agent, continues to take the first-team snaps and sometimes appears to put on a clinic with his ability. LaBoy will get plenty of snaps in the season. Said Turner: “He’s very familiar with the defense. He’s a very sudden player. He’s a very physical player. When we’re at our best, we’re able to roll three or four guys in there, and that’s what we want to do.”

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What form did English ever have that he is able to get"back in form"?

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Would you prefer "shape" instead? ;)

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Sure.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    If LaBoy outplays him, then English will be backing up anyway. As long as we have a decent bookend to Phillips, we should be OK.

6. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    You know, that is an excellent question, and I was thinking the same thing when I read this earlier today:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...five-players-who-could-have-a-breakout-season

After being drafted 16th overall by the Chargers in 2009, Larry English played in every game including the playoffs for the Bolts his rookie year. By all accounts his play exceeded expectations and English was touted as the heir apparent for the once-great Charger linebacker, Shawne Merriman.
    Fast forward one year and the talk around town is not whether English is the next great Charger linebacker, but whether or not he is a complete bust. Repeated injuries and a second season that saw him garner a paltry 12 solo tackles and three sacks in only eight games (two starts) means there are more questions surrounding English than answers.
    He has recently come off the Physically Unable to Perform list (PUP) and has resumed practicing with the second team. English has demonstrated that when healthy, he can be a force at the outside linebacker position. If he can stay away from the injury bug this year, there is no other reason why English can’t live up to his potential and make an impact for the Chargers with a breakout season.

Did I miss something? I'm fairly sure that 'by all accounts' did not include the accounts on this board. No idea who who would say he EXCEEDED expectations...

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I remember thinking he was raw and needed time to develop, but I don't recall him playing in every game and I absolutely don't recall him exceeding expectations. What i remember from his rookie year was that he played hard, that he was always a second away from a sack and got a ton of near misses. I remember thinking development wise he wasn't too far away. But injuries for two straight years don't inspire alot of confidence. If I remember correctly Buster Davis played a decent amount his first year then proceeded to get constantly injured. When he was on the field he did alright but sure as heck not as well as a first rounder should play.

8. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Just a note... 'Bleacher Report' also claims in their power rankings that the Chargers are the 19th best team in the league. Behind such power houses as: Arizona, Tampa Bay, NYG, KC, Jax, etc. So they obviously know their football...

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Bleacher report is garbage. I am not sure who realizes it, but anyone that wants to, can write an article and have it posted. It is more like a group blog than a legitimate new source

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Kinda like this place. ;)

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What that anyone can write an article, or this place is garbage?

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    How nice would it be if English bust's out this year to everyone's surprise???

• Like Like x 1
  15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    ahhh... His first sentance was about garbage... Thought I was gonna have ta scream mortal combat and such....

Next time, perhaps?:)

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    The backpedaling will be hilarious.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    We could use a little comic relief around here. ;)

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    There would be a serious run on the 20/20 hindsight glasses.

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    101 ways to serve crow.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It's a cook book!

IT'S A COOOOK BOOOK!

Oh wait, you mean the bird and not the CB?

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm just hoping this team can finally break out and win something. I want Ryanna to be the next Muncie and I believe he can if he works for it. Maybe a little bit of Tolbert will rub off on him, and he sees it takes hard work and commitment to become the player we all would love him to be.