1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gates excused from Minicamp

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,453
    For personal reasons........

Antonio Gates has an excused absence from Chargers Park.

The team is giving him the time he needs.

The veteran tight end was not present Tuesday for the start of mandatory minicamp, and it is expected he won't be Wednesday or Thursday either. Gates is back home in Detroit for a circumstance that's drawn support from coaches, teammates and other members of the organization.

A player who misses an entire minicamp for unexcused reasons can be fined up to $69,455. Coach Mike McCoy made it clear that such isn't the case here.

"He is excused for a very personal situation," McCoy said.

Gates has not been seen this offseason at any team workout open to media. Those close to him in San Diego have reached out, offering their support. Gates, 33, is entering his 11th NFL season. All have been spent with the Chargers.

"You tell him you love him, support him and you're with him," quarterback Philip Rivers said. "Come back when you know it's right. I think Coach and everyone have handled it great. You hate it for him because I know he's one of those guys, and I'm much the same way, that enjoys the locker room, joking around. He enjoys that part of it. I know he misses being around everybody.

"When the time is right and everything is taken care of, he'll be back. We look forward to getting him back."

Tight end Ladarius Green has taken Gates' reps on the first team. He punctuated a two-minute drill Tuesday with a 15-yard touchdown catch. Tight end David Johnson also has been extra active, running more routes and seeing more passes than the 6-foot-2, 260-pound target would otherwise.

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    Damn...sounds like a death in his family.

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,453
    And Hardwick was injured (minor by the sound of it).........

Nick Hardwick's first minicamp practice likely also will be his last.

The Chargers center exited practice early Tuesday and did not return. Amid a crowd of linemen, he fell to the ground during a team drill, was helped up, and limped into the athletic training room under his own power, appearing to favor his lower right leg.

Early indications are the injury is not severe.

Mike McCoy traditionally exercises a head coach's right to be less than forthcoming with injuries, the benefit to maintain a competitive advantage. In the offseason, he has less obligation to disclose medical information, given injury reports aren't required to be submitted until September.

McCoy, asked how Hardwick was, said "he's doing good." Is he OK? "Yup."

Quarterback Philip Rivers was a little more open, saying he was "just glad it wasn't too bad." Rich Ohrnberger filled in for Hardwick at first-team center.

"(Nick's) one of a kind now," Rivers said with a smile. "He's so tough. He had a big smile on his face and says, 'Get Rich. Get Ohrnberger. I'm done.' (I asked,) 'Are you all right?' 'Yeah, I'm all right.' It seems to be he'll be fine. He'll get a five-week and two-day break instead of having to work these next two days." "

For injuries, this as good a time as any.

Two years ago, fullback Jacob Hester injured his shoulder on the final day of minicamp. That allowed him five weeks to recover before the start of training camp. Camp started, and he was back on the field.

Hardwick has a little more than five weeks before the first Chargers training-camp practice on July 24. The team will continue minicamp Wednesday and wrap up Thursday.

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +447
    Hardwick seems to getting more and more injury prone. I fear for him this year.... and it's not like we are set at Center should he go down. Ohrnberger is number 2 right?

5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +316
    In a U/T chat dealie, they said Ohrnberger filled in for Harwick and played well.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Thinking of Gates... :(

7. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +577
    Well, why did you have to break up with him? :D

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports