1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gates feeling, playing like old self

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Chargers.com

Casey Pearce
    10-30-09

With his major toe injury now fully healed, Chargers tight end Antonio Gates feels better than he has in two years and is playing that way.

When Chargers tight end Antonio Gates[​IMG] caught 60 passes for 704 yards during another Pro Bowl season a year ago, it was common thought that he was completely back to the player he was before undergoing major toe surgery in the winter of 2008.
    “I was getting there, but I wasn’t all the way there yet,” Gates said this week.
    His head coach agrees.
    “I think everyone assumes that he was 100 percent because he had good numbers but it’s obvious that he wasn’t,” Norv Turner said. “It’s obvious when you look at these guys that it does take time to get back to full speed. It does take a while till you’re back to being yourself. It’s obvious now that he’s all the way back.”
    Now, six games into the 2009 season, Gates believes he is physically back to the place he was before the injury, and it’s showing in his play. With 34 receptions for 474 yards, he’s on pace to easily surpass the numbers he put up last season.
    “When I'm out there, it's like, ‘Wow! I know I feel good,’ ” Gates said. “Just the running after the catch or trying to run to make a play is different. I'm turning it loose. I'm out there playing.”
    Gates has caught at least five passes in each of the Chargers’ six games this season. Among all NFL tight ends, he ranks third in receiving yards and fourth in receptions, and each of the players ahead of Gates have played in one more game than him due to the Chargers’ early bye.
    Also impressive, his eight receptions of 20 yards or more are tied for 10th most in the NFL and are the most among tight ends. His 25 first downs are second most at his position.
    “It’s unbelievable how much better I feel and how much more confidence I’m playing with,” Gates said.

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think Gates is going to have a great game Sunday against the Faiders. :tup:

3. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Gates is going to own the Raturds! :tup:

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It would be nice to see Gates have a big game tomorrow.:tup: