1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gates is out of Pro Bowl

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Jan 28, 2009.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Gates is out of Pro Bowl
    By Kevin Acee

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/chargers/2009/jan/28/gates-out-pro-bowl/?chargers
    Posted: 2:25 p.m. Wednesday January 28, 2009
    0 Comments

Antonio Gates had to pass up the Pro Bowl for the second straight year.

A severe ankle injury suffered in the regular-season finale hobbled him in the playoffs, though he still caught eight passes for 87 yards against the Colts in the Chargers' wild card victory.

He withdrew from last year's Pro Bowl due to a toe injury that later required surgery.

Gates has been voted to five straight Pro Bowls

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    so all we will have is Dielman?

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    No need to chance injury in a popularity contest.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Im not going to watch it anyways. When i do, it is usually by accident because i always forget it is on.

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I don't want any of our guys there. 2008 is done, focus on 2009.

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    since we're on the subject of the pro-bowl...

is Rivers a pro-bowler this year?

Favre is even though he's not playing but he was voted in, Collins will play, he's the second alternate, Rivers was first alternate, had a chance to play but couldn't, so, if the second alternate is a pro-bowler, is the first alternate one also?

not that it's important but still I'm curious :icon_shrug:

7. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I'm pretty sure he's still regarded as a pro bowler. Not that it really matters since every single NFL analyst believes that Rivers got screwed out of a nod to the Pro Bowl, so they all know that he should have been most likely starting instead of just an alternate.

It feels weird for analysts to agree with me regarding my team. :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  8. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Bummer if he wanted to go, other than that I am happier that he not.

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I only want Dielman there. He's good for at least one "look out" block when Cutler's back to pass. :abq1:

• Like Like x 1
  10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :icon_sleep:

11. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Ditto :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  12. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Thats 2 years in a row that gates got hurt in the playoffs, hes 29 years old, and he just has his worst year as a starter of his career. Hes washed up, we should trade him ASAP while he still has some trade value!

• Like Like x 1
  13. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    we could bundle him an LT and call it the "walking wounded combo"

i bet we could get at least a 4th rounder for the two of 'em...:unsure:

14. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Gates really didn't deserve to go this year anyway for the AFC. He didn't have the greatest year, in fact it was his worst since his rookie year stat wise.:tdown:

But still among the overall best among the other TE's in the league, and he's not the main "go to guy" like others such as Witten, or Gonzalez.

15. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    This is something to root for.

16. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117

We don't have anybody good enough to replace him. His "worst' year as a starter is still pretty damn good among TE's in the league, and also he's not the "go to guy" like Gonzalez, or Witten, so his numbers are going to be lower anyway if he's not the primary target.

Our recievers are not "top notch" to the point where we could trade him away, and do without him. He's hardly washed up. 8 catches for 87 yards against the Colts in the playoffs, with a bum ankle is pretty good. We've had what...one 1,000 yard reciever in the last 8 years at the WR position (Jackson in '09).

Getting hurt in the playoffs against the Titans last year wasn't his fault, but Rivers fault for throwing the pass at his ankles (when he didn't have to), and then getting a shot by the defense when he was basically down anyway.

Hardly someone who is washed up.

Maybe we should get rid of "Buster", after all he is living up to his name...:icon_rofl:

17. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    There is your culprit. All the defender had to do was touch him and he was down. Blaming Rivers is a joke.

18. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117

It was a very poor throw to a wide open Gates. It didn't need to be that low towards the ground. A better throw, and the hit doesn't happen. That's all I meant.

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Are you serious???? Rivers was getting the hell knocked out of him all game long, at least he got the ball off. get real dude.

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There are too many people buying into the LT or Gates is washed up theme. Neither on has suffered a career threatening injury and both of them work their butts off to stay in shape. Both of them will start the season in good shape. Right now, there is no one on this team that can displace LT and next season 2/3 of the teams in the league would be more than a little improved with him on the roster. If Gates went on the block, there would be a very long line for his services.

21. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117

Dude I am real. I'm not knocking the chosen one, I'm just saying it was a poor throw, and he had the time to get it to his waist, not his ankles.

That happens, the hit doesn't happen.:no:

Either way...it was a cheap shot by Tennessee.....