1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gates knows toe injuries shouldn’t be underestimated

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Deb, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Jul 10, 2007
    Gates knows toe injuries shouldn’t be underestimated

San Diego Chargers tight end Antonio Gates understands that when it comes to injuries in football, “serious” and “toe” are two words that people tend to have a hard time putting together. And Gates said in a press conference that even his own father had a hard time accepting that a toe injury could present a significant challenge.

Gates fought his way through pain from an ailment that he said was much more serious than the assumption that he had turf toe, itself a painful injury that has slowed or shut down elite athletes in the past. Although Gates was able to get through the pain well enough to contribute for the Chargers during the playoffs, the recovery from the injury has caused him to be placed on the physically unable to perform list at the start of training camp.

“I think most people underestimate the situation,” Gates, who also explained that his “sesamoid bone had a whole tear," said.

While playing in pain was not a risk to permanent damage to the toe, it did contribute to making his six-month recovery start later. Gates made that choice while helping the team come within a game of making the Super Bowl.

Gates had surgery, wore a boot for a month and used crutches for a month. He is working out, but he's not ready to participate in practice, putting him in the same situation as three teammates – center Nick Hardwick, fullback Andrew Pinnock and linebacker Anthony Waters – who were also placed on the PUP list last Friday.

“There is no determinant on when and how fast I will be coming back,” Gates said. “As of right now, I am in the process. I feel good. It’s a little sore, but it’s tolerable.”

Gates said he has prepared himself for the idea that he will have to deal with more pain during the ongoing recovery process.

Meanwhile, Hardwick is slowed by a foot injury, while Pinnock and Waters are each coming off knee surgery.

The Chargers are hopeful that all four will be able to come off the PUP list and join practice sessions during training camp.

• Like Like x 1
  2. floridaboltfan

floridaboltfan BoltTalker

Jun 10, 2008
    I just hope he doesnt rush back we can win the first couple without him. I hope Waters comes back for the preseason, I think he has a chance to steal a spot in the starting lineup.
  3. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Waters will be fine. Gates will miss the first six games, minimum. I think the optimism regarding his recovery is unfounded.
  4. hypermikem

hypermikem BoltTalker

Oct 19, 2006
    Yeah, but on the flip side, so is the nagtivity regarding his recovery. Seems like they are just being cautious, as well they should. I'm quite sure the CHargers brass realize the importance of their star TE, but also they understand that the first 5 games of the season can have quite a bearing on what happens later in the season regarding seeding. If Gates can help accomplish something positive and he is able to contribute, I'm all for it. However, if he is not ready, I'm all for sitting him too, but for 6 weeks? Not in my opinion.
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

We can withstand that. Better to have him fresh & healthy for the second half push & postseason than to risk further injury.
  6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2005
    Gates will make the regular season opener.
  7. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Nov 21, 2006
    Gates said he is 70% or better. He could play at that level without much risk of hurting himself. I think by the end of preseason he should be near 100% with just a little soreness.

Chandler is looking very good, and we have an easy schedule. We don't have to rush Gates at all. Maybe for the first couple of games keep him on the sideline until we need him.

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Oct 13, 2006
    Let him sit out as long as needed.

We have a weak division to clinch and a fresh Gates in the Playoffs would shred all defenses!!! :yes: :bolt:
  9. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2007
  10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    Is there a double standard here, regarding Parker. Gates is legit. Why was Parker a puss?
  11. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Gates is an All-Pro player and hasn't missed a full season with a toe injury. :icon_shrug:
  12. Oakland Charger

Oakland Charger BoltTalker

Jul 26, 2008
    Yea but still, Parker just didn't have a chance with this team anyway with the young cheaper talent, process of elimination, that will be the only way we keep our core players under contract. The fringe players are dispensable hate to say it but, i.e. the Pats