1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gates loses weight to gain longevity

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Gates loses pounds to gain longevity
    Written by
    Micheal Gehlken

A lighter Antonio Gates is looking toward the future.

The Chargers tight end has chosen to trim his playing weight this season, he said Tuesday, cutting it down by five pounds.

It's not just something Gates wants to do.

It's something, he believes, he must.

"I've always felt deeply that as you get older, you have to lose a little weight," said Gates, who turns 32 next week. "I've always played at 260 (pounds). I felt like this year, I can play at 255 ... That's just the key. When I watch guys who have longevity and played for 15, 16 years, one thing I continuously hear is guys maintaining health, maintaining weight. They control their weight."

Gates, naturally, knows his 6-foot-4 body better than anyone, and he's noticed it doesn't burn calories as it once did.

In the earlier years of his career, to play at 255 pounds would mean weighing 265 or 270 in the offseason months. Then, during the summer training camp, the extra pounds would drip away.

The eight-time Pro Bowler goes about things differently now.

Taking a slower metabolism into account, Gates says he's currently about 258 or 259 pounds, much closer to his target weight for the Sept. 10 season opener in Oakland.

"It's got to be a good weight, too," Gates said. "I don't want to walk around and feel like I don't have power, or fatigue sets in because you've lost too much weight.

"I see these commercials of people who lose 10 pounds in one day and all this crazy stuff. I ain't on that plan. I'm at one pound a week where when I eat, I'm still at a good weight. I don't want to be 255 on weigh-in day and then eat a sandwich and be back to 263."

This isn't the first time an elite NFL tight end made a diet change at age 31.

In 2007, the Falcons' Tony Gonzalez made a dramatic shift, becoming vegan for a short time before turning to a less strict but still plant-based diet.

For Gates, the diet change is constant but less complex: maintain moderation over every meal and portion.

He can still eat like himself.

And, he's proving this offseason, he can still look like himself, too.

At the Chargers' organized team activities, Gates is running strong and stringing together consecutive practices, something that rarely occurred when dealing with plantar fasciitis the past two seasons.

"You can't discredit the fact that I've played going on 10 years," Gates said. "The aches and pains of playing are always there. But in terms of my foot, I'm able to get to practice at a rate that I wasn't able to do in the past. From that standpoint, I'm feeling great."

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,154
    I love this guy!

If he could be 90% of Antonio Gates in his prime, the Charger offense will be a mighty force.

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    I don't think I've ever seen this big a deal made out of dropping 5 pounds before. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,154
    Not a Carpenters fan, eh?

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Ouch!...
    I am glad to see Gates doing things the right way to be productive for this season.

6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    When I worked for NWA in San Diego in 2007 I'd always see Gates flying to Detroit. I remember during the offseason you could really tell a difference in his body tone from when he'd fly out during the bye.

7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,154
    I'd long been under the impression that NWA was out of Compton. Straight up.

• Like Like x 2
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    That's the biggest five pounds I ever seen, he looked like the Michelin man last year.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    A bit surprised by all the negative comments this article has spawn on the PFT site:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ts-to-lose-weight-to-add-years-to-his-career/

A few examples.......

"Too late. You’re done, fat boy."

"Gates is slow, fat and done.
    I remember when people used to make the Tony G. comparisons. Ridiculous. Gates never could carry Tonys jock."

"He can lose a useless 20 pounds if he cuts of his head!"

Doesn't paint football fans in a positive light. If they trash a solid citizen like Gates, who won't they?

10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

Un-f-ing-believable

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,154
    First, NOTHING I see fans post on PFT surprises me.
      1. Second, while lots of posters there ARE fairly well informed, they usually have
        a team they support, and are somewhat hostile towards players of 31 other teams...hence,
        a lot of negativity. Also, many of them have no idea what a "solid citizen" Gates is.

Third, PFT is notoriously fickle. I've posted nice things about Gates on there that got
        overwhelming support...some days lightning rods like Rex Ryan will be celebrated,
        but most days he'll be crucified...(pretty much depends on whether Jets won the previous day!)

Fourth, last, and maybe most relevant: all of those ugly comments were very unliked by two or three to one!

1. Too late. You’re done, fat boy.
          61 (like)
          133 (dislike)
        2. Gates is slow, fat and done. I remember when people used to make the Tony G. comparisons. Ridiculous. Gates never could carry Tonys jock.
          36 (like)
          98 (dislike)
          1. He can lose a useless 20 pounds if he cuts of his head!
            16 (like)
            48 (dislike)
            ...suggesting that our beloved Mr. Gates really is pretty well liked...

(Dang, my original post had PFT's little "thumbs up" & "thumbs down" icons before the numbers...ack! Can't undo bizarre [unwanted numbering] autoformatting :p)

• Like Like x 1
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    And I thought folks only hated on River's :unsure:

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406

The voting was actually much closer when I first posted the link. Perhaps, the Chargers fans were late to the party. ;)