1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gates Not Ready to Run, Injury Questions Loom

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, May 31, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sdg.scout.com/2/758476.html

2. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I hope this isn't like the Roman Oben situation; he said "I'll for sure be ready for training camp", and never really came back.

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    IMO Gates career will never be the same. Toes don't bounce back. Think "knee" in the 70's.

I think that Gates best is behind him.

4. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    me too better safe than sorry i would think:no:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Patience. I have had this injury. Gates and the therapists and the docs merely have to exercise due diligence. This is nothing like knees in the 70's. Simpler anatomy, more advanced medicine and meds.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Thanks for the input!!!!
    I say "let Gates sit out of training camp, preseason, and let him come into the regular season when he's ready." Let's say by week 8 we're at least 6-2 then a healthy Gates comes into the roster!!! Imagine having a healthy Gates in post season!!! :bolt:

7. matt1187

matt1187 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    With our roster the way it is, we really don't need him until late in the season (so he can get in-game reps for the postseason.) Naanee, Chandler, Manu, and the WR's will benefit from this. I just hope Gates can be 100% like his old self by January.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Gates will be a loss, but not an insurmountable one. Opposing teams have not really seen what Naanee & Chandler may be capable of doing, plus we have a much more capable set of WRs than in past years. LT may well play a much larger role in the passing game again, too.

While I hope Gates is ready to go on day 1, if it takes a little longer so be it. Healthy for the playoff push is OK for me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Gates will have his most productive season this year.

• Like Like x 2
  10. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Look for the tight end position to less featured this season and the Chargers going deep down field this season. Go Bolts:bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Word. :icon_banana:

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm hoping for November at the latest. That will give him 9 months - plus I want to see him play on 11/9!! :yes:

13. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    IMO, Naanee is the guy who figures to get more additional reps than anyone else during whatever time period Gates is absent.

I'd love to see what this guy can do....:tup:

14. dmercado70

dmercado70 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    reading into this thread i am somewhat bugged about this now =(

get healthy antonio asap homey !!! :bolt:

===================================================
    the earth will quake as the heavens reign above the charger blue skies !!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    He did have one HUGE catch against the Colts when they let him run free down the middle that put us deep in their territory.

I'll take RC's advice for now and hope for the best.

16. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Why is everyone mentioning Naanee?
    Not only is he not big enough to be a TE, but with him changing his number to a WRs number, i think Norv/Shelmon are giving up on him being anything more than just a WR.

If Gates cant go, Manu will be the starter, and Chandler will be the pass catching TE when needed, but with how deep our WR core is right now (Jackson, Chambers, Davis, Naanee) plus having great pass catchers out of the backfield (LT and Hester) will really limit just how much we need a pass catching TE not named Gates

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Its still a month plus til training camp so I'm still wanting to wait and see what happens

• Like Like x 1
  18. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I'll believe it when I see it. Big toes aren't connected by much. Ripping that apart means massive scar tissue, and while you experienced something similar, I doubt you were relying on being able to make cuts on a 6'5" frame at 100mph to succeed at your job.

I would be willing to put money on the fact that he will have more surgery on this before it's said and done.

Thank you AJ for bringing in Chris Chambers. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  19. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I totally agree! If he needs to sit out till mid season so be it. I rather see him playing at 100% near the end of regular season than try to play before he's ready.

20. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Let naanee take his place.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If Gates isn't healthy - hell, yeah. A combo of Naanee, Chandler, & Manu.

22. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    I question all of this Naanee talk too. I think that the emphasis will shift from TE to WR this year in the passing game. Gates has had all of his success with a sub-par receiving corps. that is no longer the case, hence his absence will not be as devastating as everyone thinks.

23. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Then again, we could be undervaluing what his presence does to a defensive scheme (i.e. how does it help the other guys on our team when they line up). Going along the lines of what the article states, just the mere fact that D's have to help cover Gates with a CB is big. Not having a healthy Gates or Gates at all will have a big impact on how D's play us. I realize people are trying to be positive, but losing Gates for more than a few games sucks arse.

24. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Terrible news.:no:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Gates has always been used as a receiver in addition to tight end. That's what makes Naanee a strong possibility to get a big chunk of reps for whatever time Gates is out. Naanee isn't "tight end big", but he IS big compared to most to the DBs who'll get assigned to cover him.

I see Legedu causing some very interesting coverage mismatches.