1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gates Restructures Contract

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Report: Antonio Gates restructures contract
    Posted by Mike Wilkening on September 8, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT

One of the Chargers’ stalwarts reportedly has reworked his contract to give the team more salary cap space.

According to NFL writer and salary cap observer Brian McIntyre, Chargers tight end Antonio Gates has had $3 million of his $5 million salary for 2014 turned into a signing bonus.

This gives the Chargers an extra $1.5 million in cap space this season, McIntyre said.

Per NFLPA records, Gates’ 2014 salary is now $2 million. And indeed, perRotoworld and Spotrac salary data, Gates was on the books for $5 million in salary this season.

According to the NFLPA’s salary cap records, the Chargers have about $7.1 million in salary cap space.

The 34-year-old Gates led the Chargers with 77 catches in 2013. He is questionable for Monday’s season opener at Arizona with a hamstring injury.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  2. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Dang, this front office NEVER stops working. And I for one love it!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Big FA signing after week one? ;)

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Vickerson is still out there. Although after losing DeVito I think KC will be the main suitor for his services.

5. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    KC can sign Danny DeVito for a fraction instead and save some $$$ since they are not going to go far this year!

6. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    No, I think Mrs. Rivers may be expecting again! Philip has loads of mouths to feed and Antonio, nowhere as many!

7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +943
    Trade or signing could be imminent.. Interesting what the FO has done with these contracts. I wonder if we're also trying to get Rivers locked up before he puts up another numbers year and his price goes up. Same could go for Matthews, Liuget, Gilchrist/Flowers/Wright..

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I'd imagine there is a d linemen coming from somewhere. luckily for us, we'll have enough money to sign all of these players who are FA next year. It also appears there is enough hope and belief in this locker room that players are openly willing to rework their contracts and sign for lesser money just to be here. I can imagine Rivers and Weddle could be extended for lesser than their value same can be said about Flowers (who has already established himself to the city and the locker room). The biggest wildcards would be Mathews and Liuget, I fear they'll be chasing that big contract

9. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    No need to worry about Liuget's contract. He's already been extended :)

10. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I'm pretty sure that Liguet has already been locked up because of that new CBA and rookie contacts for draft picks higher than 1 - 10 in the 1st round. However if I'm wrong, I stand to be corrected.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The Ninja King :ninja: is Awesome!

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Chargers do have more money to play with though with the recent injuries, Vickerson will have alot of suitors unless they agreed to a deal before hand.

Imagine this is also a question of what happens at nose tackle.

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I wonder what it would cost to trade for Zach Kerr...;)...he may be a 2 down player but he looked like Jamal out there last night. He just doesn't go backward.

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 29s
    Chiefs sign DL Kevin Vickerson to one year deal, per league source.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't know what Gates market value is but I'd consider throwing him into a trade for some up the middle help on defense.

• Like Like x 1