1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gates signs five year extension

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jul 28, 2010.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Per Chris Mortensen ESPN twitter

Antonio Gates will be highest paid TE. Agrees 5 yr extenson @ 7.235 mill per yr. $20.4 mil guarantees w Chargers.

Nicely done AJ, nicely done :tup:

That's how you do it, AHEM VJ AND MCNEIL???? :trout:

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Sweet.

Hopefully we can move onto McNeil now.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Good, lets move onto Mathews and McNeil and get the season started

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    AWESOME news.

5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Get some!!! :abq1:

6. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Who cares, he was gonna play this year anyways

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    http://www.chargers.com/news/article...3-ea622a9192d6

I'm getting a Gates jersey next week for my b-day. The dude is MONEY. :abq1:

8. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    OutSTANDING!!!! :tup:

9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    5 years is way too long. He is past his prime and with his health concerns I would have only done a 2 or 3 year extension.

10. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    If (BIG if at this point) the current rules apply later in some form after the CBA, it should be somewhat front loaded, minimizing cap hit at the end if we have to part company.

Anyone have the year by year structure?

11. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    THIS IS AWESOME NEWS... :abq2:

12. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Atleast someone else sees this

13. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    That's $36.175M guaranteed... WOW

14. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Best news in a long while. He was the most important of our signings as he opens up so much for this offense with the mismatches he causes. For those who think 5 years is wayyyy too long....see Tony Gonzalez (age 34) and Shannon Sharpe (played at a high level all the way through age 35). HOF caliber TE's who are more receiver than blocker can have long tenures in this league. He is the second most important player on this offense and maybe the team.

Now....hopefully we see some sort of movement...not just with Mathews...but McNeil...please?.....and if possible...mend fences with VJ and let's go win a championship.

15. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    If I read it right it looks like 20 is guaranteed but the other 16 is not. Dependent on deal specifics that might not be that bad.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Atleast someone else sees this[/QUOTE]

[​IMG]

17. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Good deal a locks up Rivers favorite target. Mathews will be next and it should happen tomorrow.

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I wonder if VJ is finally beginning to realize how bad he screwed up. He'd have a more than decent contract for this year and be in line for a lucrative extension instead of a probable trade to the NFL equivalent of Siberia. McNeil will be down the road after Matthews.

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Good to see Gates being locked up with the Bolt's. Next up????

20. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I'm glad to hear this. Perhaps Gates and Rivers will play out their ENTIRE careers and retire as Chargers, like Fouts did.

If Gates can stay healthy, he could easily play until 35 and be like Shannon Sharpe, and Tony Gonzalez.

21. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I'm hoping Mathews and Merriman will sign in a few days... :yes:

22. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Glad to hear it!:abq2::icon_toast:
    Now get McNeil done

23. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Mathews will sign once more top 15 draft picks start to give him an idea about the urgency.

24. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    The out years aren't guanteed. Only 20M. If he has only three years left in the tank, no problemo.

There is almost zero difference signing a three year or a five year deal except if he does last past three years we can keep him relatively cheaply. The smart move by AJ is signing him to the longer deal.

25. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    He said in the NFL.com article i saw this break in that he is lookin forward to being one of those players that finished his career a 1 team player. I love that!! Mucho:tup:

I have been waiting for this contract news since PRs nice chunk of change hit the net. I had to wait a while, but I am damn proud that he is gonna be highest paid *for now* TE in a league that doesnt even look like it will exist in 2011.

Since we got Mathews now, he does take precidence over MMac. Course Mac is frickin not doin himself any favors far as my fandom goes in pullin a VJ.

PR is bald.
    MY BOY legs will take the #1 receiver spot in VJs stead *as per Norv and NFLN*
    AG got his due.
    Man im have to shave my head for the season opener and get a gates jersey. Legs in time I wish i could afford to buy more than 1 jersey a year heh.

I really am thankful for VJ giving up his roster spot to let my fav SD drafted WR shine. THX VJ!! Hope you land somewhere I can continue to cheer for u... Like Marshall to Miami I love that move. 1 no more fkin Bmar and 2 i kinda like the new Phins. Thigpen rocks, I wish they would trade him and let him get a shot on a NFL field again. KC is brainless specialy the new regime changes of late. Tho this latest might get them back in business.

Read it if you want it is ranting I wont lie, but man what a WEEK it has been already!! HOF game will be here in no time!

26. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Where's DenverBolt preaching about how AJ and the Chargers refuse to pay their stars?

• Like Like x 1
  27. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers show 'Gatesy' the love: 5-year deal

Extension makes him highest-paid tight end

By Kevin Acee , UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Originally published July 28, 2010 at 5:09 p.m., updated July 28, 2010 at 9:18 p.m.

Chargers tight end Antonio Gates has been to six Pro Bowls and been named All-Pro three times.

They got “Gatesy” done.

A.J. Smith doesn’t go out of his way to forge even cursory relationships with many players. He calls very few by nicknames.

But the affection with which the Chargers general manager has always talked about tight end Antonio Gates is rivaled by only a handful of players that have ever worn blue and gold during Smith’s reign.

Wednesday, that admiration became tangible when the Chargers rewarded Gates with a five-year contract extension that will make him the NFL’s highest-paid player at his position.

“I wanted to see what they thought I was worth,” Gates said yesterday, shortly after the ink was dry. “They couldn’t have put it any better with their first offer. I was so grateful for that.”

Gates will be 35 when his deal runs out in 2015, perhaps ensuring he will remain a Charger throughout his career, one that seems destined to ultimately be immortalized in the Hall of Fame.

Gates’ 59 career touchdowns are more than any of the seven tight ends already enshrined in Canton. An undrafted free agent in 2003, having played college basketball and not football, Gates has led the Chargers in receptions every year since 2004 and has been voted to the Pro Bowl after each of those seasons.

“Gatesy represents everything we are looking for in a player, both on and off the field,” Smith said. “His production speaks for itself. He has been a major part of the growth and success of the team and his professionalism and attitude is unmatched. The entire organization is thrilled that Antonio will be with us for many years to come.”

The Chargers and Gates’ agent, Tom Condon, began talking about an extension in May. Gates met face-to-face with Smith last Friday.

“It was so smooth,” Gates said. “I wanted to be here. They wanted me to be here.”

Gates’ deal guarantees him $20.4 million and averages $7.235 million over the five years. He is due $3.625 million in 2010, the final year of the contract he signed in 2005.

“I outplayed that contract last year,” said Gates, who had arguably his best season in 2009, catching 79 passes for a career-high 1,157 yards. “I was anxious to see what they were going to offer ... All the things I’ve been through as a player, so many different things to help the team elevate and be competitive. Hard work pays off. They respected me.”

The ease with which these negotiations were completed was similar to the last extension the Chargers did, quarterback Philip Rivers’ six-year, $92.5 million deal finalized exactly 11 months before Gates’.

Rivers was ecstatic his primary target in each of his four seasons as quarterback is now scheduled to be part of the team as long as he is.

“Awesome,” Rivers said. “There’s nobody more deserving. I’m glad my locker neighbor is going to be here the next six years.”

With those two cornerstones set, attention now turns to other players the Chargers have on their priority list.

Gates’ signing could prompt movement with left tackle Marcus McNeill. General manager A.J. Smith would not discuss McNeill, giving his standard, “If we have another signing to announce, we’ll let you know.”

The sides have not talked since mid-June.

Also preparing to sit out into the season and perhaps throughout it is wide receiver Vincent Jackson. Jackson, however, is not in the Chargers’ long-term plans.

Smith has cited uncertainty over the labor situation as one reason for the team not doing long-term deals. He has also alluded to the numerous players the team has to sign in the next year as their contracts are set to expire.

“We never said we were going stop signing players until everything was resolved on the labor front,” Smith said yesterday. “We said we have slowed down and would proceed cautiously and give much thought to what we would do and when. We have many decisions to make in the year ahead, but at this time we just felt that Antonio was our top priority. We hoped he would accept our contract offer and had great confidence he would.

Gates was the Chargers’ top priority for some time, and McNeill has long been right behind him in line.

McNeill’s refusing the Chargers’ one-year tender of $3.268 million and preparing to sit out into the season is complicating that agenda but likely will not preclude a deal getting done.

Said Smith:”We will now take a step back and continue to assess our team.”

28. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    yep, this is where mcneils and jacksons agents didn't realize who they were dealing with. IF you are a team player the chargers will give you big compensation. A.j. has always made it so good players that wanted to be part of the team would get paid big.

So far I'm putting all the blame on the agents of mcneil and jackson for not knowing how to play the game with the chargers.

29. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    and the dominos begin...

30. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Right about now I expect McNeill's and Jackson's agents to be ******** their pants because their players are PISSED.