1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gates suspended 4 games for PEDS

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I :poop: you not.

Antonio Gates suspended four games for PEDs

Chargers tight end Antonio Gates has been suspended for the first four games of the 2015 season for violating the NFL's policy on performance enhancing substances, the team announced on Thursday.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    April Fools in July?:(

Fawk!

3. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    And I was scoffed at when I had mentioned another (ex) Charger player and issues relating to potentially using PEDs. This is a dirty professional game, from the locker room to the front office. Those puritans who wish to believe that it is not so, then look up NFL.com today to see how many other teams' players were also among those suspended for PED use.

4. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Here comes the "next man up" proclamations.
    Mr. Green..your turn.

5. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    Tell me it ain't so Antonio....

6. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    Finally get to see Ladarius on the field at least. If he blows up, Gates may just get that reduced playing role he's been wanting.

7. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Really disappointing......but not really all that shocked.
    I mean, let's face it.....dude is gett'n old.....sh*ts' start'n to break down.....gett'n a little slower......here comes the young pups.........gotta try and get an edge somehow, someway........
    Gotta admit.., his role these past 2 years has been slowly on the decline....less and less...
    Love Gatesy., he's a first ballot HOF'r no doubt. Even though it's wrong and cheating., I guess I can't blame the guy for try'n.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The San Diego Cheaters :bolt:. Have to love em though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

9. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    Hmmm!!! He may have considerably hurt that 1st ballot HOF talk!

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Doubt it. He has how many seasons of clean tests versus one time popping hot in the preseason?

The folks who actually vote for the HOF are more wise than the regular Joe Fan that "performance enhancing drug" doesn't always (or even often) mean steroids, as well as that "responsible PED use" is actually a pretty regular occurrence in the league. Or did you think these guys were just getting massively bigger, stronger, quicker, and healing and faster and stronger from major injuries because of nothing more than human evolution?

11. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    Apart from the 1st ballot HOF'er, I agree with you. Just see the 3rd post on this thread ;)

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Either that, or stem cell therapy. ;)

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    What?!

BilltheCat.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Honestly, it'll be interesting to see. Unless you were an all-time great or a media darling (i.e. the player has, since retirement, shilled like nobody's business for the media; see Bettis, Jerome), 1st ballot's not a guarantee simply because the pool is oversaturated with guys from the same era and previous eras still trying to get in. Gonzalez will get in 1st ballot - and he deserves it (despite having the poor taste to spend the majority of his career playing for the Chiefs). Gates has a decent shot at it - if only because he became a definite trendsetter in that high interest in guys like JerMichael Finley, Jimmy Graham, Julius Thomas, Jordan Cameron, and Eric Ebron owe the big demand for players of their type due to the niche that Gates pioneered. The "move-TE" was certain in use prior to Gates' breakout, but they were generally used quite different.

15. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    Not buying his "explanation," at this level, years in league, money and legacy on the line. It's hard to imagine how anyone in the NFL, let alone Gates, wouldn't be hyper vigilant about any supplient or whatever they take. How can you not, unless you are trying to get an edge via strength, or faster recovery, or whatever reason. It's not like he doesn't have a multi-billion $$ resource (NFL) to help him determine what's allowed. He still my top 5 bolt, not that means anything to anyone.:D

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
  18. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    Agreed wholeheartedly on Tony Gonzales as a 1st ballot HOF'er precisely because of the reasons mentioned. Antonio Gates casted a new mold and was trailblazer for many of the current TEs in the NFL. That combined with his statistics will garner him a HOF place.

The reason I was not very optimistic about his HOF induction as a 1st ballot nominee was because in none of the recent rankings (say last 4 years, coinciding with Chargers demise from atop AFCW) he even barely broke the top what, 30? Granted because of his multiple (foot) injuries plus age, he had slipped as a dominant TE. But he did have a resounding bounce back last year and IMHO, this will only taint that bounce and will hurt him.

As for the Chargers potential future HOF'er, I think that only LT is a shoe in and now even that pillock Clayton, disagrees with me :D

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    And Magee doesn't even think he was the best Chargers RB. ;)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  20. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    Well to be quite honest with Ya, it's hard to forget about Jermaine Fazande :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'd sooner believe that Santa Clause was real or the Easter Bunny was on HGH

I've seen so many idiot Bronco/Chief/Raider (that's easy, you can tell by the lack of spelling and grammar) fans claiming that Gates has been cheating his whole career

To which I reply

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I believe he was referring to Paul Lowe. ;)

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Gates has done nothing but give his best to the club, sure this is a bump in a very long road and I don't have enough facts to actually say he was "cheating" or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Gates should be a first ballot HOFer. He is something like 4th all time in receptions among all TEs and he should pass Shannon Sharpe this year even with the suspension. He is 2nd all time in TD receptions among TEs and tied for 9th in receiving TDs among all receivers. He needs two TD receptions to take over sole possession of 7th and needs 13 more to take over 1st all time among all TEs.

It is that final hurdle where the suspension will hurt him because barring an incredible 12 game season, he will not catch Gonzalez this year in TD receptions. He will likely need exactly one more season after this year to get that done. Barring a complete regression this year or an outrageous contract demand, the team should re-sign him for one more year.

Of course LT is a HOF lock. That really should not require any discussion.

And so is Rivers if he continues at his present rate for another 5-6 years. It is not crazy to think that Rivers could play for up to 6 more years because he would turn 39 toward the end of the that 6th season, having played most of it at age 38. If he averages 4,000 yards and even only 25 TDs in each of those 6 hypothetical seasons, he will finish with over 60,000 passing yards, over 400 TD passes and with a very high career QB rating. Anywhere in that range will be lock HOF territory.

Specifically, by the time he retires (including projections for other active players), that would make him in the top 10 in career passing yards and TD passes to go along with a QB rating that is among the highest in NFL history (presently 6th all time).

25. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    You will get no qualms from me on LA + AG. I merely stated that suspension will seriously hamper AG as a first ballot HOF'er precisely because he had such a tremendous bounce back last season, when presumably he had failed the PED test, after 2-3 seasons of sub par performances for Gate's lofty standards.

I will disagree with you on Rivers having 6 more years left in him, unless he assumes a diminished role as a starting QB after 3-4 years. It is not inconceivable for Rivers to remain in the League for another 6 years, because he actually sat on the bench for 2 years in 1994 and 1995, but I am still doubtful as to whether he will both have the stamina and the will to play till he is 39. Rivers has taken a lot more beating than P. Manning and T. Brady.

On his HOF chances, I would sadly assess him as a borderline possibility to doubtful if his career ended today. His HOF chances should improve considerably if he does not sustain injuries in the next 2-3 years and plays behind a solid OL with good to great supporting cast. LT's presence in Rivers' early formative years will overshadow Rivers' early successes and will hurt him. I will be flabbergasted if he plays at an elite level for the next 2-3 years and still does not get into the Hall at some later point. He will not be a first ballot HOF'er unless he ultimately wins a Ring, but it will be the height of injustice and prejudice if someone like Romo gets into the Hall and Rivers does not!

FWIW, Drew Brees will be a 1st ballot HOF'er so he will have to (reluctantly) give us a shoutout too during his induction ;)

26. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    My HOF two cents
    Tomlinson - 1st ballot no brainier
    Rivers - Needs a Super Bowl. QB's seem to be held to this standard and although he will probably end up with some gaudy numbers, as of now he doesn't have a league mvp or really even a "signature win"
    Gates - HOF no question. Not sure about first ballot, but he won't wait long. He'll play another year or two then the five year wait. This will be water under the bridge by then assuming no other incidents

Those are the only guys in the discussion for me. Weddle will probably hit the ballot but that's it barring a couple defensive mvp campaigns which is pretty far fetched in my opinion

27. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    I do not agree that QBs are held to the standard of needing a Super Bowl. Fouts never played in a Super Bowl and Marino, Kelly and Fran Tarkenton never won one.

Super Bowls mean nothing in terms of a player's accomplishments. Super Bowls are a team accomplishment. A team can get to a Super Bowl with a dominant defensive effort like the 1985 Bears, the 200o Ravens and the 2007 Giants (while in the playoffs). McMahon was an okay QB, but Dilfer and Eli Manning were/are crap QBs. Jim Plunkett won two Super Bowls. A Super Bowl says nothing, absolutely nothing, about a player's merit as a HOF candidate.

You are blaming Rivers because Kaeding couldn't kick a FG, McCree couldn't fall down on the ball and the defense couldn't stop the run or 3rd and 17. Does it matter that Rivers was the best player on the field in the playoff losses to PIT and NYJ?

LT and Gates are HOF locks and neither played/has played in a Super Bowl.

If Rivers plays the additional 6 years and puts up the numbers I have set forth, the NFL will have to stop inducting QBs into the HOF if Rivers is not enshrined.

Nobody is saying that Rivers is in based upon what he has done so far, but it isn't too difficult to project the additional years for Rivers. If he stays healthy and plays for even 4 more years, he will be over 50,000 yards and probably over 350 TDs with comparatively few INTs and a high QB rating (currently 6th highest career QB rating among all QBs ever). He'll be in on the numbers regardless of what the Chargers do. His career numbers should be that dominant.

And the only reason why Rivers does not have an MVP award is because MVP voters are idiots. In 2008, Rivers was virtually across the board better than Peyton Manning and they gave the award to Peyton Manning anyway.

My expectation is that when Rivers retires, he will be the best primarily AFC West QB ever to play (which includes Fouts and Elway, but not Montana and Peyton Manning).

28. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    Fouts, Marino and Tarkenton all had numbers that were so out there, that they couldn't be ignored. Kelly also had solid numbers and went to 4 straight Super Bowls (albeit losses, but he was still in the premier game and thus garnered a lot of attention).

I think it hurts Rivers a bit that he plays in a small market like San Diego. Not a lot of national attention and he isn't splashed all over commercials and Nike ads. He doesn't have the national appeal of Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers or heck even Roethlisberger or Romo for that matter. I live in Ohio, I can tell you people around here by and large view Rivers as a good, not great, quarterback. I'm not sure if that represents how the Hall of Fame voters feel, but I know he's not viewed in the same light as the aforementioned QB's. I would actually say he's viewed in the same light as Romo. And I think Romo falls into the same criteria, numbers will be there, but if he doesn't win one he isn't getting in.

I honestly don't feel it matters if he was the best player on the field in those playoff losses. No one outside of us remembers (or cares) if he was. You know what they do remember - we lost the games. I'm not saying it was his fault we lost those games, but he didn't do anything in those games either that made anyone stand back and say "Wow that was a helluva performance" either.

And you can throw numbers around all you want, but Rivers isn't the QB John Elway was, and unless he goes on some out of this world tear to end his career he won't be. Elway took 5 teams to Super Bowls, the first 3 almost solely on his own back. Even if Elway wouldn't have won the 2 Super Bowls late in his career, he had defining moments like "The Drive" and a virtual boatload of 4th quarter come from behind wins. It sickens me to have to say this, I grew up watching Elway's career, couldn't stand him, but the man was one of the greatest QB's I ever saw play the game. Rivers isn't in that category

29. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    I'm just surprised that Gatesy's situation wasn't somehow blamed on Tom T...

30. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    ^^^ the day is still young.

• Funny Funny x 1