1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gates: Winslow hasn't done enough to back up boasting

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltjolt, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-browns-chargers-winslow-gates&prov=ap&type=lgns

By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer
    November 2, 2006

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Chargers star tight end Antonio Gates doesn't care much for Kellen Winslow's boasting, which could make Sunday's home game with the Cleveland Browns much more interesting.

On Wednesday, Winslow hyped his matchup with Gates as "a heavyweight match. It's me versus Gates. I want to be the best tight end out there."

Winslow, whose 40 catches lead all tight ends, mentioned that Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez is behind him on the receptions list, followed by Gates.

"So I've got to stay on top," said Winslow, whose Hall of Fame father of the same name played for the Chargers from 1979-87.

Winslow was asked to clarify. Did he mean keep his lead in receptions?

"The best overall. I'm trying to be the best. I said I was the best. I am the best, and I'm going to prove it on Sunday," Winslow said.

Gates, who started in the last two Pro Bowls, wasn't amused.

"I just have a problem with a guy who disrespects guys who've done it over a decade like a Tony Gonzalez and those guys," Gates said after practice Thursday. "To put yourself in a situation where you feel like you're better than a guy who has basically been doing it since you were in high school, I just have a problem with him not embracing the game enough and respecting the guys who've proven themselves in the league."

Winslow is in his first full season. He broke his right leg in the second game of his rookie season of 2004, then missed all of last season after tearing up a knee in a motorcycle accident.

"For you to play in seven straight games and decide you're the best tight end in the league, I don't think that's appropriate to say," said Gates, a former basketball star at Kent State who joined the Chargers as an undrafted rookie in 2003.

"There are certain things that I will never let get to me. Obviously he's not a person I would be worried about. He hasn't played long enough."

Winslow has 40 receptions for 393 yards and three touchdowns. Gonzalez has 33 catches for 441 yards and a score, while Gates has 32 receptions, 384 yards and four touchdowns.

Gates' 89 catches last year tied Kellen Winslow's San Diego record for receptions by a tight end, and his 1,101 yards were the most for a Chargers tight end since Winslow had 1,172 in 1983. Gates led all tight ends last year in catches, yards and touchdowns (10).

In four seasons, Gates has 226 catches for 2,838 yards and 29 touchdowns.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    KWII is an assshole and has not done **** in the league.

I hope our defense cleats him in his privates and then sends his asss to the IR list for a ruptured labia. :tdown:

3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Somebody on our defense needs to f*ck this dude up even it means taking the penalty. :icon_evil:

4. RAIDOOORS!...suck

RAIDOOORS!...suck Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5
    yeah our D can spot them 15 yards for the penalty if it means knocking kw's head off. did k jr forget the D worked against gates in camp?

5. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Winslow is opening his stupid mouth again... man this is the same guy that said he was "a soldier"

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880
    time to pay hte piper

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,456
    I think its time for K Dub Sr. to have a little chat with his dear son.
    This kid needs to get whipped.

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    He hasn't set him straight yet, so why do you think he would do anything now? Da fukn solja is the chosen one. How do you think he got that attitude?

Remeber the apple and the tree.

I hope someone rings him up. Godfrey needs to go Porter on his ***.

9. ChargersNguyen

ChargersNguyen BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I'm beginning to think that this Winslow kid is delusional and should seek help. Has he been hit in the head too many times?:tdown:

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    KDubII can talk all he wants. The more he mouths off the larger the target on his chest grows. I guarantee you that the defense is using his mouth as motivation and the every player on our defense will be looking to stick him any time he gets his hands on the ball...

11. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    O well, he's going to run his mout like this. BFD. You do realize that after we get done showing this child how to play we have to listen to the Ocho talk for another freakin week. These tools haven't done anything on the field to make a name for themselves so they go around declaring it in the media. Whatever.:tdown:

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,456
    Winslow made a mistake by opening his mouth, Gates is gonna tear it up again on Sunday.
    Im calling 130yds and 2TD's for mr. Gates:icon_banana:

13. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I hope this has motivated our defense as well especially Terrance Kiel. :bolt:

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I think we need a fan bounty on KWII's assss.....

Everyone pitch in one dollar and donate it to the Bolt player who cleans this punks clock !!! :icon_mrgreen: :bolt:

15. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I throw in some green for a KWII Jihad.:yes:

16. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Headline/caption on Monday morning:

[​IMG]
    PWNED!

17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I think Godfrey'll knok his dik stiff!!:icon_mrgreen:

Mebbe we oughtta start a pool of who it'll be. :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
  19. bolts4life21

bolts4life21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    What does PWNED mean?? I see it all the time but have no idea what it means. Haha This clown hasn't done enough period. He leads in receptions, not production, woopity do!:icon_tease:

20. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    It is l33t speak for owned.

21. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

22. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Exactly

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880
    I just want someone to go navy seal on the soldja boy's ***