1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gehlken talks M80, Butler contract, Mathews on 1090...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    • Like Like x 2
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Thanks for posting this. Good news on Butler that he wants to be here and that he has told his agent that re-signing with SD is his priority.

3. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,703
    You're welcome - it was a great interview, I love that they post them for folks to listen to later if we miss the live show.

Very excited about Butler.

Worried for M80... great guy and I'd love it if he could come back but that injury sounds scarier and scarier the more I hear about it.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Yeah, it's tough. Would be great for M80 to make it back, but at what risk?

5. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +104
    Easy for me to say, but maybe he should take his money, walk away, and start getting on with the rest of his life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,504
    Sure, it's a long way until training camp, but if Floyd is still wearing that brace, then I'm guessing he's probably at the end of his career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Wonder what his salary will cost against the cap if he retires. We still owe him money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I believe (don't quote me) that as long as it happens before June 1st we don't take any cap hit for him. But I'm far from certain.

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Would have to believe we'll find out in the next month when he goes for that check up. My guess is, if he still wears the neck brace to bed, it's too serious to play football.

Decision will certainly be made before free agency starts, so if he does retire, will be in the market for a WR. Telesco said he wants more speed and weapons around 17. Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate, Julian Edelman, Ted Ginn, Andre Caldwell and Emmanuel Sanders are all good fits.

I would love Emmanuel Sanders. Imagine a package of Allen, Royal, Sanders, Green, and Woodhead. Rivers would have at least 1 of those guys wide open.

10. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24
    It doesnt matter how many people rivers has wide open if he gets crushed because we have to put Johnny Troutman in.

11. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,703
    It wasn't so much Troutman being next man up as it was his being placed out of position by the coaching staff at RG instead of where he had actual experience, at LG. In conjunction with losing our run game (Mathews) and yet still trying to run vs. throw, amongst other things... a bad combo for success all around really.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,771
    This has got to be one hell of a disk injury to Floyd s neck without any fractures. Just get well Malcom, everything else will work it's self out.

13. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    What Sydalish said, Troutman is a LG not RG. When he played alongside Dunlap and others he excelled.

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Our cap # if all situations occur,

Hardwick, Floyd retire
    Rivers extended on a Brady like deal
    Weddle, Gates restructure
    Clary, McClain, English, Mouton, Patrick cut..

Looking at anywhere from $23-27 million..

15. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Gump, you're just a goddamned genius. :rolleyes:

16. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Royal will likely restructure as well. If not, he could easily see the door.

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Yeah, I wouldn't even mind extending Royal a year or two just because next year he is a FA. He could be a very valuable trade piece with those 8 td grabs. Had 47 catches and was limited with a turf toe that he sustained in October, so he showed toughness as well.

18. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    This seems optimistic. Floyd would cost us extra money if he goes, which means he probably won't get cut or retire until June 1st. Hardwick leaving saves us 4.4, and the five guys you list at the bottom total about $10 million in savings.

Rivers getting extended on a Brady like deal probably isn't happening; we could still save a ton off his cap number, but I wouldn't expect to get a real bargain, especially because of how young Rivers is. A big reason why Brady took that deal is because he effectively got guaranteed money into his age 40 season, but that's obviously not happening here.

Gates and Weddle restructuring sounds great, but would they? Not sure either has the incentive to do so. And if we just convert the salary of those two into signing bonuses in order to reduce their cap figures we simply push money into the future, screwing us next year instead of this year, and I don't get the sense Telesco is interested in going that route. Even if he were, he has enough job security that he doesn't need to do those kinds of quick fix moves.

There are some other guys we could release to save real money. Someone else mentioned Royal ($4.5 million in savings), but I'd add Jarret Johnson ($2.5) and Dwight Freeney($3.5). Whatever happens, I doubt we'll generate the kind of cap space needed for major acquisitions, so get ready for some lower-tier signings again this year. Hopefully we can land a couple more King Dunlap-style deals.

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    How would Floyd cost us money retiring until June 1st when he has an appointment in the next month to get an answer on whether or not he can play football again with that neck injury, and chances seem pretty high. Floyd still wears the neck brace to bed, there's more to life than football for Malcolm.

I think we have to extend Rivers and try and push most of his money off to the upcoming seasons. We have $40m in cap space in 2015, and the numbers keep growing obviously.

Weddle I do believe restructures since there was talk about it last year, I think this year it gets done. Gates needs to take a nice home town discount, guy has made his money and isn't a Shaun Phillips, I'll get more money anywhere else than SD. I think he loves it here and playing with 17, hopefully he understands and can make it happen.

I think cutting OLB's at this point like JJ and Dwight would just hurt us more. This team needs depth and some veteran leadership and experience. I don't think we see all low-tier signings, I think we might see 1 big deal, a bargain and then some low tiers.

20. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    Because that's how the cap works. Floyd's cap number is lower than his remaining bonus proration. So while cutting him saves us from having to pay his salary, the rest of his signing bonus hits the cap, costing us about $1.6 million more than if we kept him on the roster.

I wish I shared your youthful naivete about the motivations of players. Hopefully my cynicism is misplaced.

As to your comment about $40 million, lots of teams have $40 million of cap space two years out. But once you add in 2014 and 2015 draft picks, 2014 free agents, and restructures like the ones you suggest, that cap room dries up quickly. Obviously Rivers and Weddle would be happy to restructure and take signing bonus money instead of salary in order to free up cap room without affecting their cash flow, but that comes with a cost down the road, one we should look to avoid if we can. I'd rather hold off on doing anything with those two until we see how the offseason plays out and how much money we need. If we are running low on cap room and a great deal comes our way, then start talking.

I think we keep one of JJ or Freeney, but not both, especially if we plan to draft another OLB. You could be right about there being "one big deal" but that isn't very different from what I'm saying. Cox was pretty close to a "big deal" last year, and I think we'll see something similar, hopefully with the exact opposite result.