1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Geico cavemen might get their own TV show.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HollywoodLeo, Mar 2, 2007.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=253853&GT1=7703

Those Geico "cavemen" shouldn't be so upset after all — they may get their own television series. ABC said Friday it had ordered a pilot for a comedy, tentatively titled "Cavemen," that features the characters used in a series of ads by the insurance company.

In the ads, cavemen appear insulted by a Geico pitchman's claim that the company's Web site is so easy to use that "even a caveman can do it."

The potential series, one of 14 pilots that will be produced by Touchstone Television this spring, features the cavemen as they "struggle with prejudice on a daily basis as they strive to live the lives of normal thirty-somethings in 2007 Atlanta."

It's unusual for characters from an advertising campaign to move into shows of their own, but not unprecedented. The CBS comedy "Baby Bob" featured a talking baby that had been used in several advertisements, according to Daily Variety.

The advertising copywriter who helped create the "cavemen" ads is writing the pilot, the studio said.

A pilot order is no guarantee a show will make it on the air; in fact, the majority of pilots don't make it that far.

2. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    The Geico cavemen are very funny...I like those commercials...I don't know if they can carry an entire show but with good writers, maybe. I like the caveman's dry sense of humor...when his mom calls "I'll put it on speaker" to his psychiatrist...it might work.

3. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Didn't the Simpsons start off as Butterfinger commercials?

4. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I think The Simpsons started as a shorter-version animated spot on a variety/comedy show but I could be wrong. I think the commercials came later.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I just looked it up on Wikipedia and you're right.

I didn't watch The Tracey Ullman Show, so I never saw the shorts.

The Wikipedia article makes no mention of Butterfinger using them in commercials, but I do believe they started using them before the TV show came out in 1989.

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    The Simpsons was an animated short that first appeared on the Tracy Ulman show. It was then developed into it's own TV show. The Butter finger commercial came out in 1991. I did see one place on the internet where there was a reference to a butterfinger commercial circa 1987, but I don't beieve that is accurate. I believe 1987 is when the Tracy ullman shorts aired.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Thumper knows everything...:yes:

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I was 8 when the Simpsons got their own tv show, my memory was kinda fuzzy.

9. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Oh, mercy.........you're just a BABY!!:lol:

10. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Naw, I'm just older than Leo and Simpsons is still one of my favorite shows. :tup:

11. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I was watching the show pretty regularly around that time and those Butterfinger commercials came out after it was released. But, who knows, I may be wrong as I was in some sort of alcohol haze that 1st couple years of college.