1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gene Upshaw Calls Roger Goodell's Rookie Salary Comments 'Ridiculous'

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Jun 30, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008...-goodells-rookie-salary-comments-ridicu/#cont

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said last week that he thinks the NFL's salary structure -- in which highly drafted rookies are guaranteed eight-figure paydays before they ever set foot on the field -- is "ridiculous" and "something wrong.

Yesterday NFL Players' Association chief Gene Upshaw took issue with Goodell's comments when he addressed the 252 drafted players at the NFL Rookie Symposium.

Adam Schefter reports at NFL.com:

"I think it's ridiculous that he would make such a comment," Upshaw said.

"We're not in the position to try to take money from anyone. Our job is to make sure you get as much (money) as you're entitled to and not be restricted by anything else. We have never agreed to such a system. I don't see us agreeing to such a system in the future.

"In three years, you guys will be asked to make some very, very hard decisions that other players have made before you. It will deal with the one issue that seems to be getting a lot of attention -- a wage scale for rookies."

What Upshaw doesn't seem to grasp is that in the NFL, the salary cap means that every time one player makes a dollar, he's taking a dollar from the pool of money available for his teammates. The issue here is that veteran players ought to reap financial rewards for what they've proven on the field. Under the system Upshaw supports, those players make less than the players who have proven nothing.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Upshaw is a retard.

3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Another reason Upshaw needs to be removed. He has fuked the retired vets and now he is resistant to something many Vets would like to see.

He is suking the ***** of too many agents.

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
  5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Upshaw is an idiot and Goodell is a jack-off. It's a good thing their product is the greatest form of public entertainment in the history of the universe. If they actually had to do anything to maintain the sports popularity they would be totally screwed.

6. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Rookie pay system is fine. These kids are committing themselves to a career that is physically violent and need guaranteed money in case something goes wrong. The vets already have money. In 10 years guys like Darren McFadden, Jake Long, Matt Ryan, etc... will be the vets and they won't complain about the rookie pay because they benefited from it. Only washed up mid-late 30's players are complaining who entered the NFL when a McDonalds ice cream cone costed 49 cents.

I think the NFL Commissioner gets paid too much money when that money can be dispersed to all the hard working veterans at NFL headquarters. Let's talk about reducing commissioner salary.

7. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    We now have a thread that encompasses both of the recognized authorities on the subject of "ridiculous" Goody and Uppy.

8. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Three words.

Ryan ****ing Leaf

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    There needs to be something in place to keep colossal busts from screwing a teams cap for 2-3 years.

I know this would never fly, but an easy fix would be to get rid of signing bonuses for rookies. Build the entire contract into yearly salaries and future roster bonuses. That way if you really are worth a **** in the NFL, you will get paid.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Wow, this is full of lame reasons why you think it is fine. What? The other 700 or 800 other players in the league arent commiting to a violent sport? And alot of them arent getting guaranteed money while guys like Leaf and Andre Ware did while stinking up the joint.

The system stinks and always has. If Jake Long or Matt Ryan bust.....then they have benefited from a flawed system while they failed.

11. floridaboltfan

floridaboltfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I know this sucks but its got to be better than Bud Selig or David Stern right:icon_shrug:.

12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    QFT - I as going to post these exact same words, but you beat me to it.

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    If the rookie contracts are lowered then the contracts would have to be guaranteed, which would bring us to the NBA problem of having guys get a big contract and not performing.

14. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    The dolphins o-lineman got like 30 million guaranteed. HOw much is the 1st pick next year gonna get.

The other problem is players that have played a while are gonna get upset that a rook got paid more than a vet that has been an all pro for a couple of years already.

Has to be a happy medium someplace with this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    I guess Upshaw hasn't been listenting to the current NFL Vets who also think rookies are being paid too much.

16. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    X2
    WORD
    AMEN

17. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    The only guarantee word b the bonus just like it is now.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good article on the gutless wonder. Maybe misdirection & lack of accountability works in the NFL, too. :icon_shrug:

And Upshaw is an idiot. His idea of fairness is to irresponsibly reward the rookies & **** on the guys who paved the way for today's NFL?

Throw 'em both in with the lions. :icon_evil:

19. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    what I'm saying is that in order for the players union to agree to lower the contracts of rookies the owners would probably have to guarantee the contracts since that's the gripe the players have right now

BTW I don't like the idea of guaranteed contracts, players that underperform should be cut, players that overachieve should have a way to better their situation, how? I dunno :icon_shrug::icon_huh:

20. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    And Right About Now I'd Call Gene Upshaw Ridiculous For Denying The Fact That Rookie Contracts DO Need To Be Handled MUCH MORE Differently...

:cool:

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    What would be appropriate is a separate flexible rookie cap with a guarantee based on draft position, then coupled to a set of performance incentives that would be independent of the cap figure. Those who performed would be rewarded and those who flopped would draw their paychecks until they measured up.