1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

General Discussion

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by charger1993, Dec 2, 2013.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    With the emergence of Keenan Allen, he honestly makes me forget about v- jax. I cant remember the time we had a rookie WR come in and ball this kid will break 1000 yards receiving. He runs routes clean not fully polished yet, but this guy is a total hybrid player of Anquan boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. If the season ended today i would gladly vote for him as OROY

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    He's got a bright future ahead of him. He's only going to get better. Lot of people actually thought he'd be the best WR in the draft down the road, he just had a slow 40 and a lingering knee injury. I think in the off-season, he just needs to get a little stronger.

His releases are unbelievable, and actually Rivers has missed him quite a few times because I think he doesn't believe he's that wide open on those routes he missed him on.

But hey, are future is looking bright. Ladarius Green and Keenan Allen really coming along.

3. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    i know, during last years draft i was expecting him to go in the first for sure, but lady luck let him fall to us. Youre right there has been times where rivers has over thrown him and Allen turns into randy moss and plucks it out the air, ask pacman from sunday.

I think if we draft another WR to stretch the field, Allen would ball, i pray we get Jordan matthews, taht way we can go WR1 Keenan Allen, WR2 Jordan Matthews, WR3. Vincent Brown, TE Ladarius Green. That would be a great young receiving core

4. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Yeah I don't think you can throw a rookie WR like Matthews out there an expect results like Allen. Who's to say we even get him, still early to be praying for anything except either playoffs or a decent draft pick if we don't make it to the playoffs.

I honestly think now looking at contracts, Malcolm Floyd will be here 1 more year as that field stretcher and/or take another chance on Danario Alexander to be that guy.

5. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    honestly i want to trade floyd while he still has some value, alexander ill take a flyer on cuz when hes healthy hes a play maker. Matthews is a stretch he might not produce like allen rookie year, but i think hes talented enough to help stretch the field. Ever since VJ left stretching the field has been a problem for this team. We need a big deep threat guy or a guy who can just run past someone like Sammy watkins or Marquise lee

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    If DA can make it back as close to 100% as possible it could very easily become double trouble for defensive units opposing the Bolts next year. Big IF I know.

7. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    You'll get right next to nothing for Floyd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +319
    I agree on KA and still (I know I'm out on a ledge here) believe Vincent Brown has a place on this offense. I thought he was doing pretty good until they apparently changed his assignments. Dude is completely getting overshadowed right now, justifiably, by KA. But VB is athletic as hell and can catch the ball. I hope to h3ll he figures things out and finds a way to finish strong this season. It would be nice having one less piece of the puzzle to address this off season.

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Don't know if we need a "field stretcher" though in this offense.

10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Think we all saw the Vincent Brown as a possible WR1/WR2 in Norv's vertical game and got really excited. We've seen how he does in this offense, and he looks nothing but a slot receiver. He hasn't been able to adapt as well as we hoped either.

If Norv really loves Vincent Brown he should convince the Browns to trade Josh Gordon for him :)

11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Floyd needs to hang em up while he can still walk. DA is a shot in the dark but if he can make it back for even a few great years Allen would be even better. Bolts definitely need a bookend to go with Allen, Royal didn't play and Gates did the best he could with a bad hammy. Don't know if you can ask much more out of the players.

12. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +251
    Ouch!...Sorry but this season one of the last words I want to have associated with the Chargers is "stretcher".

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,216
    It would be nice, but the WR that bothers me now is Vincent Brown. He misses way too many balls when it counts.

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    I'm not sure he ever gets open anymore, it's like Rivers doesn't even look his way now.

15. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,216
    ^^^ Yeah, I sort of agree there too. It's like Rivers throws to him to keep the defenses honest. Then again, there was a play or two yesterday where a few receivers were wide open and Philip didn't throw to them either.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Well Telesco stole KA13 in the last draft. Lets see what he can find in the next 3rd or 4th...

17. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Let's just hope that he doesn't get enamored with himself once he finds a gem in later rounds .... sound familiar?

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Yeah... I would hope he doesn't try to be AJ 2.1...

19. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    His problem is people are shadowing him and he cant get the separation. VB would work well in the slot. Thats why i want us to get another wr with sure hands to compliment allen

20. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    No he wouldn't. He doesn't have the short area quickness. VB needs time to get up to speed - something he could do in Norv's more downfield oriented scheme.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    How is VBs route running. I never really saw how well he cuts. I think that is one of the areas that KA13 excels in. He can set his foot and change direction on a dime.

22. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    It's pretty fair but he's a fairly long strider for his size & really doesn't possess the quickness to get up to speed or in & out of breaks for a true slot receiver. Royal is far better suited for the slot - health is his biggest issue.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Dunka RR

24. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    You're welcome. Those are just my amateur observations - results may vary. :cool:

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,777
    He, you and me can thank Wes chandler for that.

26. mt_bolt

mt_bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I think our existing WRs will do better when the O-Line is improved. Giving PR a second or 2 more time and a more consistent and better run game will go a long way to helping our WRs get open and help PR find the right open WR.

27. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +242
    Is it me or does this franchise simply refuse to build a actual smothering defense. It be nice to see in McCoy's tenture a defense oriented team. I can't remember a charger defense teams actually playing renowned football and overshadowing the teams offense. Even in '06, it was our Offense led by L.T and his amazing MVP season, the defense just took care of bussiness wasn't anything like Steelers or Ravens or this years Seahawks type of defenses.

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    I agree, and to be honest I think it fits with what I'm getting the feeling would be McCoy's preferred brand of football (think 2010 era Patriots - ball control, efficient offense with a turnover-happy defense). I'm still not convinced that McCoy sees that, but I'm also not convinced he doesn't (too small a sample size to go off of, this February/March will be telling).

Personal opinion here (what isn't?), but I believe we have ownership who puts more thought and stock in the business end of football than the winning-championships end. More specifically... offense sells, especially in warm weather and when (as much as the San Diego locals on this forum don't want to hear it) the team has the strongest foothold in the "We Love a Flashy Team" Los Angeles/Southern CA market. Bit of irony there, with San Diego being such a large military community, a historically strong defensive team very likely would have been highly marketable to a military community and could well have won over a good deal of transplants who turned into permanent residents (i.e. moved their families into base housing, etc.).

The kind of defense that you and I would both love, Johnny, can't be put in place by just one man/coach unfortunately. The Steelers' defense, for example, is perpetuated by the Chuck Noll coaching lineage and at the times when it started to show cracks, they sprinkled in members of Bear Bryant's former staffs. Pete Carroll, when he went to Seattle, wholesale brought in his entire defensive staff - he didn't cherrypick them off the unemployment line of former NFL employees, he brought a good deal of them with him from USC or the NCAA, guys that all subscribed to his prescribed philosophy on defense and operations. I'm not saying it can't be replicated, but you've got to have a willingness across all facets of the organization to implement it and no one individual can do it alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +319
    Anyone remember the good old days (Ron Rivera, IIRC) at Qualcomm when we used to chant, "You can't run! You can't run!" ??
    Not exactly the dynasty LBC and JX are pining for, but pretty dang respectable. I'd take that def over this :poop: in a NY minute.
    With the above posts in mind, I wonder if MM/TT will re-up Pagano next season. According to the team web site, this is his second season as DC, 12th overall with the Boltz, and is definitely not an MM/TT hire.
    Begin rant:
    Right now I hate to say I'm just hoping the entire team doesn't sink into a "find a new way to lose" mode the last few games. I had my fill of that BS the last few years of the previous regime.
    End rant

30. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    How quickly you guys forget the 1997-2001 era Chargers, who were only known for defense. Having a **** offense certainly helps with that, but we were top 10 in defensive DVOA a few times during that stretch including second in 1998. Maybe it was the reality of those terrible years that led ownership to realize this whole defensive thing isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I do think LBC is on to something regarding McCoy's philosophy given the amount of time we tend to possess the ball. Of course, thinking you need to win the TOP battle is as dumb as thinking you need to make a lot of long two pointers to win in the NBA, so I'm still nervous about this dude. But ultimately I don't think most of us care about how we win games so long as we win them. I'll happily take 13-3 with flashy offense every year.

• Agree Agree x 1