1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

General NFL Cuts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Aug 30, 2008.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Only big news I found included:

QB Joey Harrington cut from the Falcons
    RB Rudi Johnson cut by the Bengals
    DE Roosevelt Colvin cut by Texans
    CB Fernando Bryant cut by Patriots
    QB Brooks Bollinger cut by Vikings

Anyone else has anything interesting to report cut wise?

2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah, the Bengals also cut OT Willie Anderson. I think we can really use him. Sure would rather have him than Corey Clark and if he is healthy he is better than Clary.

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    QB Chris Simms cut by Bucs...
    CB Deltha O'Neal from Bengals...
    Panthers cut Parker
    Archuleta left the Raiders
    That POS big guy Quinn from Colts

4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Dolphins cut X Charger TE Justin Peele, any body remember him...

5. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Rams cut Ex Charger Reche Caldwell...

6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    The Bengals also waived Ahmad Brooks someone who I think would be a nice fit here at ILB. We went out and got Smith, but Brooks is a beast and I am very surprised that he was released by Cincinnati.

7. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    The Bengals did some fall cleaning, huh? Makes you wonder if they're trying to get a pity signing for that "true" wideout they've been looking for. But the team has seriously cut out its veterans, the exact opposite of the Patriot plan.

8. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    From the AP

In other cuts news on Saturday:

• The Atlanta Falcons cut veteran quarterback Joey Harrington, who was the third pick overall in the 2002 draft by the Detroit Lions. D.J. Shockley is the Falcons' No. 3 quarterback behind rookie starter Matt Ryan and Chris Redman.

• The Houston Texans released 10-year veteran linebacker Rosevelt Colvin.

• The Tampa Bay Buccaneers released former starting quarterback Chris Simms. Simms, 28, has not played in a regular-season game in nearly two years. Simms missed the final 13 games of 2005 after taking several hard hits and having his spleen removed hours after a loss to the Carolina Panthers.

• Jerome McDougle, a former first-round pick, was cut by the Philadelphia Eagles. McDougle had a solid preseason, finishing with a team-high 2½ sacks. But that wasn't enough for the Eagles to keep the defensive end around. McDougle has just three sacks in 33 career games.

• The San Francisco 49ers released underachieving receiver Ashley Lelie. Lelie signed a two-year, $4.3 million deal with San Francisco last year, including a $2 million signing bonus, but he made little impact on his third NFL team. Lelie had just 10 receptions for 115 yards last season while struggling with injuries including a strained quadriceps.

• The Vikings cut quarterback Brooks Bollinger, which means rookie John David Booty is the third quarterback behind Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte.

• Drew Henson, the former Michigan quarterback and New York Yankees prospect, was cut by Detroit. He signed last week when quarterback Drew Stanton injured a hand.

• The New England Patriots released quarterback Matt Gutierrez on Saturday and kept Matt Cassel as Tom Brady's backup for a fourth season.

• Cornerback Ricardo Colclough was released by the Carolina Panthers, hours after he was arrested and charged with driving while impaired. Safety Terrence Holt and defensive end Stanley McClover were also among the 22 players cut.

• Former starting fullback Reagan Mauia was among 17 players released by the Miami Dolphins. Mauia was a sixth-round pick out of Hawaii last season and started nine games in 2007. He finished with 10 yards from scrimmage on six touches.

• The Chicago Bears released a pair of 2007 first-day draft picks. Second-round draft pick Dan Bazuin, a defensive end from Central Michigan, and third-round pick Michael Okwo, a linebacker from Stanford, were cut.

9. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Thats the player they picked with the 2nd we traded then for moving up for Weddle :yes:

10. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    New england released John Lynch!

11. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Carolina Panthers cut Ex Charger Toniu Fonoti...

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Pretty fair receiver, not a great blocker. Journeyman.

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    The Texans cut Ryan Krause and Jamar Fletcher.

Another 2 of our cast offs.

I guess we are more right than wrong (Wes Welker).

14. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Every single one of our castoffs from the first cut are homeless and soon everyone but maybe Applewhite, Divens, and Thomas will join them in the unemployment line.

15. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    hope not :unsure: i want them on the PS

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Marcus has gone to Detroit, bummer.

17. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Oh yeah, there's that...let's hope they end up on the PS.

18. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, both of those guys were part of the Weddle trade, indirectly.

So, we got a starting FS, and the Bears essentially got nothing in trade a year later. :lol:

19. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Does anybody want John Lynch? The Patriots let him go and once again he's talking Chargers. I don't want him because a verteran cut from the Patriots is just unnerving. That franchise thrives on veterans. If they don't want him he must suck.

20. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I wonder who the Chargers are going to pick up...

21. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    No to John Lynch.

4 years ago, I would have jumped at him, since our team was in full rebuilding mode. Not now. The Bolts have gotten vastly better, and Lynch has just gotten older.

22. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    BTW does anyone remeber cutting trent green in 1994, yea that wasn't to smart..:lol: Hope we don't make another mistake like that

23. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    They took 2 of ours why not ake one of theirs? Although technically we would gte him from the donkos.....Actually i don't really care....he would add experience to the team and possibly force a couple fumbles during the season.....why not:icon_shrug:

24. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    He's old and he lost a step. We have a good secondary and John Lynch is absolutely horrible in coverage, a safety's number one job. Weddle and Hart are good enough. Someone else will pick up Lynch.

25. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I'm sure AJ is going to pick up a TE...

26. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I think i heard that they released WR Chad Jackson too. What a bust he was already if i heard it right.

27. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    and yet everyone keeps talking about how much fo a genius the Patriots are at drafting - suckas

No thanks still on John Lynch

28. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Really, I thought he was one of the draft sleepers. New England has thier priorties straight though. They've got a team that will allow to make yet another epic run at a fantastic season. Just God please let us be one of the teams that beats them.

29. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Having the easiest schedule in the NFL sure doesn't hurt. I think the age they started showing at the tail end of last season, is a harbinger of things to come. This is the year we hopefully drop-kick them into oblivion.

They are on EVERYONE'S hit list so if they're expecting another run like last year...FORGET ABOUT IT:tdown:

30. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59

I'd bring him in as a asst. position coach.