1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Get the turnover problem fixed...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Sep 18, 2011.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Still pissed about this game.

1 - WR's did great abusing the secondary, although losing M80 hurt as he was having an amazing day

2 - TE's just went missing. Gates looked old and slow (Although he claims it was how they were playing), McMichael didn't look very good and blew some blocks, and Sperry just didn't get to do anything

3 - Tolbert was a big part of the loss. The fumble absolutely killed our best chance of winning. The goal line failure was horrible. Scary enough, but Mathews is looking solid, protecting the ball, in protection, running (Really looks like the game is slowing down for him, you can see him seeing the holes now, big change in how he runs), and a great job catching out of the backfield. I'm telling you, go watch this game again (I know it will be painful) but check out the vision. He has been missing this and its a really good sign.

4 - Rivers for the second week in a row just seemed flat. He made some amazing throws cause he just has too much skill, but he just didn't seem to have his normal fire. The throw to VJ that he one handed was amazing though. The turnover sucked but really the game was over and he was just looking for something deep

5 - The O-Line was well above average today. The only sacks were due to coverage and playing catchup. They ran block well, they pass blocked well. No real issues.

6 - The D-Line was average. Garay and Liuget got penetration all day but it never really amounted to anything. If you don't finish it off with a play, doesn't mean much. Vaughn was only adequate.

7 - The LB's were terrible in coverage. They missed tackles. In general just a poor showing (Minus Shaun but he got hurt and turned human for the end of the game)

8 - The CB's wiffed on some tackles but in general they di well against the WR's.

9 - The safeties were just terrible today. Bob blew some tackles and just got overmatched by the big tight ends. Weddle made a ton of tackles but all 15-20 yards down the field and he wiffed on a few as well.

10 - Kicking was non-existent, but ST's wasn't heard from really at all which I guess is good for us.

11 - Norv did fine. We moved the ball at will. We ran well, We passed well. At some point in time your players just have to protect the ball. Manusky did not look good. The two TE set killed him. He just didn't have an answer for it. We stopped the run mostly. We handled the WR's mostly. TE's killed us.

Straight up, I would feel better if we were blown out. We had our chances and could have easily won this game. When you see the talent and our ability, underachieving is just so painful. These guy need to step up, and play with focus. It's the only thing separating us from being as good as the Patriots, which we are not at this point. Hope they drop us to like #20 in the power rankings this week, we deserve it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Hang in there...the Chargers will win a bunch of games this year...we'll see each other again when it snows.

3. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    It's still early, I guess we gotta find our niche and let it stick. Cuz our defense didn't look comfortable until the third and then the offense started making mistakes. Though we couldn't stop the tight ends, we still had a chance, we were in the game. and even when we were in the game we should have been winning, the number one undisputed factor that blew the game for us was fundamental football do NOT run backwards and take care of the ball that goes out to Philip and Tolbert aka I wanna back track and hit another hole, cause I think I'm Barry Sanders. No more turnovers, the Steelers did it in week one and it prove the age old theory you can win, when you give the ball away.

Pay Vincent Jackson-- The kid is a BEAST!

4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    It was a damn good game like we all thought. Turnovers were the story of the game, but hey it's only the second week of the season after a short offseason. There's going to be mistakes everywhere, if we lose any of our next three games then I'll give you guys the pass to say "FIRE ________!!!"

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    In rhetrospect, I guess there is something we need to identify and focus on...

THE CHARGERS SHOULD HAVE BEATEN THE PATRIOTS YESTERDAY!

They have shown they can play with the big boys. If the Chargers did not give the ball up 4 times (second time in a row against this damn team) then we should have won (I know, I know, that is speculation, not fact but a responable hypothesis IMHO given the end score).

6. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Yes, but we'll find out what happens come playoff time. We are at home the next two games are at home followed by at Mile High and then the bye week before we face the Jets. Thank god we're playing the Quiefs next week.

Anyone got their predictions yet? I'm calling 52-0 (based on being outscored 89-10 in the last two games.)

7. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Ima take the Bolts 56-7

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    When you have 3 turnovers inside the Pats 35, that will guarantee a loss. Tolbert will bounce back. Same can be said for Rivers & Gates.

9. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I don't understand all this "we CAN win against the Pats" when we DON'T win against them. No Chargers player or fan should be bragging or anything right now after the first two games of the season. I'm not in meltdown mode I'm just not going to start to talking **** to anyone else when the Chargers haven't proven anything. Until a lot of problems get fixed and they start beating some "elite" teams I don't want to hear any of 'we could've this' and 'we should've that' because the fact is they didn't do anything.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The Chargers had a chance to win the game but they shot themselves in the foot repeatedly. I guess a positive is like last year that even with the stupid mistakes they still had a chance to win. Defense I still think it was schematic more then it was execution - not to excuse the poor execution.

With the turnover problem its ironic but for as bad as Mathews and Tolbert were last year NOW the problem appears to be Rivers' mistakes. That's something they gotta fix but that's between the ears

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Who is bragging?

Let me ask you this. Do you feel the team was in a position to score on the drives where they turned the ball over? Do you feel in any facet of the game the Pats flat out dominated the Chargers, or did the Chargers aid in the fact that they lost?

I see no one bragging about anything. There is a positive note to be taken from the game, but only so far as there are major problems that must be fixed before we meet another team the calibur of the Pats.

12. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    What team has? You remember the last time the Lions started 2-0? They went 6-10. You remember the last time the Bills went 2-0? They finished 5-11. Nobody has proven jack **** in two game, how can you possibly?

13. Mobius

Mobius BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    From what I saw yesterday, we will never beat the Patriots if our defensive scheme is to play 7 on 7. To beat Brady you have to put lots of pressure like the Jets would for example. It seemed we rushed 3 guys the entire 1st half.

We certainly had our chances and the Patriots D is beatable, but they held every time they had too. I would love to get another crack at them in the playoffs.

The blessing yesterday was the Raiders and Chiefs also lost so we are not down in the division or anything at this point.

Sent from my Epic Android using Tapatalk

14. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    I'm not talking about anyone in specific, or even just at the forums. I realize there's positives but just hearing the Chargers can beat the pats is pointless because we just don't. I agree that they were in a position to score but they made costly turnovers which cost the game. Saying they could've or should've won is all hypothetical based on us not making stupid turnovers. The Chargers were completely dominated in pass coverage by the way.

15. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Yep, all I'm saying is we all say "We can beat the Patriots!" and then we lay an egg. We cannot beat the Patriots. We have the ability to. We have the players to. I even think we have the coaches to. But we never play focused and under control when we play them or the Jets for that matter. Ball security has got to be job number one. We have a good team that will win a bunch of games this year, but until we solve the ball control issues against big tim teams we will continue to fall short.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Well duh :p

17. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Basically this

18. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    We need more turnovers... coaching turnovers thet is.

19. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    My mind kept telling me that the title of the post said Norv Turner in it somehow...
    but the ole noggin was simply playing trixes on me. It said Turn Over instead (ironic?)
    Just rearrange the letters...damn dyslexia.