1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Get your Mock Draft on

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    Haha i'm an Oregon student, and work with the team, so it could be me being biased. But its understandable for DAT to be tired, he was a gunner on kickoff/punt, returned kicks (returned punts for a few games IIRC, not sure about that though), and started at RB/Tzr. Watch him play and you'll see the thoughness. Always finishes out runs, almost always fights for the little bit of extra yardage (the exception being if he's hemmed on the sidelines, ducking out to not take an unnecessary hit). But i've always been impressed with his balance and ability to break arm tackles with that TINY frame.

I agree that it was a mistake coming out. But it was more due to the fact that he is coming off a year of bad tape because of the injury than the weight strength thing. He probably wont get much bigger here, as our SC coach is known for wanting very lean athletes with good functional strength (exactly what DAT has), and very little extra body weight (See Dion Jordan, who reportedly played at ~225 for some parts of 2012). I think he's bigger than most think he is, as he tweeted that he was up to 183 before the season.

And we do have quite sizeable differences in definitions of polish. I view your version more as instincts than polish. For me, polish as a pass rusher is array of moves, good hand placement, knowing HOW to use your hands and not just moving them around and hand fight just for the sake of hand fighting (biggest knock i have on Mack right now, i mean DAMN does the kid fight hard to get off blocks, but he's got no idea what he's doing with his hands...). Spacial awareness and things like that are very hard to teach (for the record, IMO Mingo's snap anticipation was very good, not a problem at all), thats a natural coordination/(or if i wanna use fancy terms, proprioceptive) sense, which is really hard to do anything about.

Situational Awareness isn't really a polish thing, thats all about mental planning IMO.

Thats a really huge underestimation on Mingo's play on the field....like HUGE. Its hard to say anything because his physical gifts were so present on tape. Always the first guy off the ball, almost always the first guy in the backfield. His angles to the ball were very good, and i thought he had pretty good instincts of where the QB was/wanted to be, to meet him there if he was blocked. He used his length well, and as i mentioned before, had active, heavy hands. The ability to play in space is incredibly overrated to me for a pass rusher. These guys that are good/explosive enough rushing the passer should drop back into coverage no more than 5 times a game. And thats what Mingo did, he lined up and rushed the passer, and he did it well. He had some problems with spacial awareness, as well as hand placement, and some discipline problems, in terms of run defense and keeping contain. OVerall i had him rated as a late 1st with the ceiling of a top 5 pick. I thought it was a little high for him, but with a very weak draft, that seemed normal.

I'll tell you this much, Mingo was 10x the player Barr is right now.

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,780
    Don't forget CJ was 191 at the combine when he ran 4.24. He also had 236 carries his senior year at ECU, DT only had 243 carries total over 3 years at Oregon.

No point in arguing about Mingo now, it's up to his coaches to mold the talent.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    DT LOUIS NIX III
    NOTRE DAME
    DE MARCUS SMITH
    LOUISVILLE
    G ANTHONY STEEN
    ALABAMA
    CB ROSS COCKRELL