1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting an early start.....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Sep 15, 2011.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    After watching Brady and the Pats Monday night. It is going to be essential for us to get a fast start. If we get the ball first need to march it right down the field for a score on the opening drive. If we start sluggish like we did last weekend and all of last year, on the road in Gilette, for the Patriots first home game, with our history with each other it may be over early.

So I would love to see us in the first half control the clock, keep the D and Brady off the field as much as humanly possible and go back to SD with a W and a 2-0 record!

Go Bolts! SD wins 31-28 behind Rivers 360 yds and 3 td's!

2. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I agree, these two teams know each other very well it's hard to see either team getting a whole lot of breathing room as far as points are concerned. As dumb and naive as this may sound I actually feel comfortable with secondary against their recievers/tight ends. But going back to your point about scoring early and often no other statement could be more true. Early stops and we have to speed this game up because we're trying to take advantage of a pretty green secondary compared to the better ones around the league, I believe Norv and Philip along with our lanky receivers can exploit them. It's gonna be a close game. Hopefully we're on the better end of the final score.

3. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Its hard for me to hear about the mythical "fast start" theory that is promoted by both mediots and coaching staffs this past couple of years without wanting to spit. Football games are still decided in the 4th quarter far more than in the 1st IMO. Last time I checked - the only thing that matters is what is on the scoreboard at the END of the game. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    um if henne can put up over 400 passing yards with very little run game, Lack of wide receivers, and not a great o-line. rivers could easily carve up 517 yards. if anything i think hel get 560 and 6 tds in this game

5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Still, it's easier to play with a lead than play catch up. It relieves pressure on the defense and forces the Pats to become one dimensional. I think we'll do fine unless Ochocinco magically deciphers their offense in the next few days. I believe he'll be a non-factor leaving us able to focus on their TEs and Welker.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Alot of those 400 yards were in the 4th Q against a prevent D when Miami was down by 2-3 scores. Just saying...

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We're gonna light their asses up. :)

I just hope it's enough. :confused:

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    But really until Brady's 99 yard TD pass to Welker, that game was in doubt. And on the drive just before that, Miami marched it right down the field. It's not like NE was playing prevent on that drive. They were playing very aggressive, which is why Henne complete passes of 31 yards to Brandon Marshall and 21 yards to Fasano to open the drive. Marshall was open for another deep fade on that drive in the end zone, but Henne missed him. Miami's big problem was that they didn't even test the Pats run D inside the 5. Twice they got inside the 2 and decided to go spread formation. Idiots.

But the whole, "the Pats gave up yards in garbage time" meme is BS. The Fins drove to the one down by 14 points with 6 minutes to play. That's not garbage time. If Miami actually punches it in for the score from the 1 at the end of that drive, the Pats would have been up only 7 with over 5 minutes to play.

After the drive that ended at the 1, Miami got the ball one more time down by 21. That was really their only "garbage time" drive. Henne was 5/7 on that drive for 58 yards and a score. If you remove that last drive from his totals for the game, he was still 25/42 for 358 yards and a TD when the game was in doubt. That's still alot of yards for a defense to give up to Chad freaking Henne.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Oh yeah! You know it!

10. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    im aware, im just saying so far the pats defense hasnt impressed me at all. we have the WR's advantage against there short corners, they only have one truly good corner Jason Mccourty, other than that i can see us dominating the passing game

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Dowling is a good corner but he's also a rook. I think PR will pick on their secondary quite a bit Sunday. We'll stretch the field, then give them a good dose of Tolbert, Mathews, & Gates.

We can beat these guys if our coaching staff prepares a good game plan & adjusts well. Like him or not, Bellichick will be ready.

12. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    Totally agree, we have the personnel to bully the pats on offence and defence, we can win this game. but rivers is gonna have to set the tone

• Like Like x 1
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yep. I see this as a chess match. Our board pieces are as good if not better than NE's. IMO, that's not homerism but fact. The question will be how Norv & Co. counter Bellichick & Co.'s moves.

Smacking them square in the mouth early will go a long toward setting the tone for this game. That needs to come from the defense. Our offense can handle the Pats' D.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Yep and we have personnel on D to pressure the Pat into three and outs and hopefully turnovers. I mean we mastered the art of beating Manning (the good one), So why not Brady? I think we get it done this weekend.

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am looking forward to seeing how our D does against the Pats. I hate him, but I have to respect Brady as a competitor. I want to see if the new tude that reportedly came in with Sanders and Spikes proves to be the edge against the Pats we needed. Because as I recall from my faulty memory, our games vs. the Pats have been realativly close.

16. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    The last time we won in Foxborough: 2005, 41-17.

17. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    time for a repeat?

• Like Like x 1
  18. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    I remember that win very clearly. We sent Brady home crying, he wouldn't even shake Brees' hand.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Should have made some noise in the playoffs that year.

20. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I remember that...what a thrashing.

21. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    The year Brees' shoulder exploded?

22. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah, I maybe off a little but i remember it being pretty much the same team that won 14 games the next year. Idk, maybe i got my years wrong, i think we were one or two games from making it into the post season. not sure.

23. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Vincent Jackson and WR Corps as to come to play this game. Got to show those corners in N.E what being Big and Tall is all about. Go up and get boys!!

24. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    We lost to Denver I believe it was that took us out of the playoffs. That's when Big Ben won his first ring? When Cowher got his first for sure.

25. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Sure was! They played the Seahawks I think..