1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting hot at the right time!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I was just looking at the NFL standing over at nfl.com and something stood out. I think this was something I already knew, but there it was glaring at me from my computer screen. The Chargers are peaking at just the right time.

Several times this season I've heard LT proclaim, "It's not how you start, but how you finish." These Chargers have taken that mantra to heart and are definitely finishing strong winning their last six games in a row.

The nlf.com standings page lists the record for each teams last five games. Only one team in the entire league besides the Chargers won each of their last five games. The New England Patriots. And even these Patriots, which looked unstoppable early in the season, appear to have struggled with lesser opponents as of late.

Don't get me wrong, the Patriots have one hell of a football team and have the maturity to win even when their not firing on all cylinders. Can they be stopped in the playoffs? That remains to be seen. But if any team can do it, it's the Chargers. The Chargers have all the talent in the world and seemed to pick the most opportune time to get on track.

Here are the records of all the playoff teams last five games:

AFC

Patriots 5-0
    Colts 4-1
    Chargers 5-0
    Steelers 2-3
    Jaguars 3-2
    Titans 4-1

NFC

Cowboys 3-2
    Packers 3-2
    Buccaneers 2-3
    Seahawks 3-2
    Giants 3-2
    Redskins 4-1

When this Charger team started by losing 3 of their first games, players might of folded. This could have been a lost season, but the players have shown that they have the moxie and heart to fight on even when things aren't clicking under a new coach. It took some time, but the Chargers are one of the hottest teams entering the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if this momentum propels them all the way. Three games left and just like the tattoo on Shawne Merriman's neck, these Chargers will "finish strong!"

• Like Like x 1
  2. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Your post got me to thinking about the Patriots recent margins of victories vs. the Chargers.

For the first 10 games the Pat's average margin of victory was 23 points. However in the last 6 games the Pats average margin of victory has dropped to just 10 points while the Chargers average margin of victory has climbed to 18 points over the same span.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I have a good feeling about this year!

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    this YEAR is over

Its the playoffs

Time to take it up a notch and get this thing done!!!

:tup:

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Over the last six games, the Chargers have allowed the fewest points in the league, while scoring the second most points in the league. They are ready to phuck some people up.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Thumper, I couldn't agree more!!! :tup:

I keep reading how people are comparing this team to last year's Indy team or that Steeler team which won it all 2 years ago. I'm actually sick of reading that. The team we have is the team we have and only THEY can do it. The reasons you oulined are WHY this team can do it.

Again, great post! :icon_toast:

7. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Indy is 4-1 because they rested starters against Tennessee last Sunday. They are still dangerous, and still playing top notch football. If Indy was playing NE tomorrow, I would put money on Indy winning. The Chargers are going to have to play their asses off to knock the Colts out.

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    They'll hafta do that to knock the Titans out first.

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Agreed. Indy would most likely be 5-0 if they didn't rest their starters. This will be no cake walk. Any team in the AFC playoffs is dangerous at this point, especially new England and Indy.

Now, while the Colts and Pats deserve respect for the teams they have assembled, I am not of the belief that some in the media seem to be. That is that this is a two horse race between The Colts and the Pats.

I really believe we have the talent to match either of those teams and we are getting hot at the right time. We need to focus on the Titans first though. If we don't get past them, it won't matter if we "coulda" beat the Colts or the Pats.

If the Chargers play with a chip on their shoulder, I could easily see them going all the way!

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    SUPER BOWL OR BUST!!!

11. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Agree, that is why on 11/21 I posted this thread...

Looking back to writing that and last season...We have got one big advantage going into the PO's IMO.

12. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Ya know, the 2007 Chargers remind me a lot of the 2007 USC Trojans. Ridiculous talent, but have seemed "off" all season and lost some games they had no right to. Injuries and coaching transitions... Getting red-hot at the end of the season.

Let's hope the post-season similarities continue.

13. blitznd33

blitznd33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Not to put things on the negative side, but when we went into the 1st playoff game last year we were 10-0. So IMO the regular season doesn't mean much to playoff success. The only thing that matters in the regular season is win enough to make the playoffs. Let's look at this team starting a new streak...4-0 in the playoffs.

14. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Our defense has been simply amazing the last 5 games !! :icon_toast: :bolt:

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    And the key people are getting healthier, while some of the Titans are still gimpy.

16. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Just take on the Titans first and get a great win beginning with the first drive and leading throughout the game with +10 points.
    That's all I need for sunday.

17. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    it would be amazing if we went all the way :tup: but the afc is a far more talented confrence than the nfc. i mean we have the colts,pats,bolts,jags, steelers and titans and teams like the bills and texans and browns who are better than most of the team in the nfc. sooo im sure if we make past the playoffs im sure we can win the superbowl:yes:

we just have to survive the afc
    :icon_shrug:

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    What do the Titans, Indy, & the Pats have in common? :icon_shrug:

They will all fall victim to the Bolts in the 2008 playoffs!!! :yes: :icon_banana:

19. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

True, but we were not playing our best football in December, unlike this year where we are. I think that the key will be getting by this first game. We need to get this stigma off of our backs of not being able to win a playoff game. Once we do, I think that we will be able to play to our full potential against the Colts. We've got to win this Titans game first though. We can't let them hang close, which is what they want to do. If you let a team hang around, anything can happen. I love that stat that says we've scored 81 points in the first quarter, and have allowed 0 points in that same stretch. If we get a lead against the Titans, they will be hard pressed to come back.

20. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    You're correct. We were 10-0 ending last season, but although we won our last few games, we weren't playing great football. We went int to he playoffs overconfident and you knwo what happened.

I'm not underestimating the Titans, as they are going to be a tough opponent. But our struggles early I the season and our early departure from the playoffs last season should keep this team focused. If we listen to most of the major media, we have no chance to beat these two media anointed elite teams, the Pats and the Colts. I think that we match up well against all the teams in the playoffs right now and if this teams plays like it's capable, we can win it all.

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I hope we were only warming up this past December and really get the fire stoked in January for a big blast in February. :tup:

22. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I keep hearing how Rivers is our weak link.

Here is Rivers' QB rating for each week. Over a one hundred QB rating the last three weeks of the season. Rivers is getting hot and playing his best right now.

Week - QB Rating
    1 - 73.3
    2 - 74.2
    3 - 116.2
    4 - 44.8
    5 - 151.4
    6 - 68.8
    7 - BYE
    8 - 143.9
    9 - 49.4
    10 - 30.6
    11 - 67.6
    12 - 119.8
    13 - 68.9
    14 - 65.4
    15 - 101.7
    16 - 103.6
    17 - 102.6

23. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Timing is everything.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And blocking!! :lol:

Seriously - I'll bet that PR's best numbers coincide directly with the best play of our OL. That's going to be key again today. Just give PR some protection & LT a little daylight. :tup:

25. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Promoting Clary and getting Hardwick back coincide with the turn around of the season. Along with getting our awesome new receiver.