1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Getting it off my chest....phew!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by EsDee_in_RI, May 1, 2009.

1. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I was recently in a conversation with my wife since she noticed that the last week or so I have been kinda down and depressed. Cant get anything past her. We spoke and I told her everything that is bothering me, and I would like to share this with everyone.

We all know that recently there has been a Huge 'pandemic' that has originated from Mexico. When I first heard about it the first thing that popped in my head is "Great, here's another problem (some) Americans will blame Mexicans for." Sure enough I was right. Lately I have been feeling this thick tension, are people afraid of Mexico or the flu? Even though I'm American, I can help but feel like some people look down on me because I'm a Hispanic, or because I grew up in a city where the Cartels run the place. Like we're being blamed for all this.

Now the people that want to close down the borders for good are using this flu as an excuse to further their agenda, and at the same time, bash our heritage. That's not right.

I'm I naive to think that we should be worried more about the people who are sick, rather than closing the border and alienating a people?

I try to see everyone as a human and not a race. My entire in law family and my wife are white, my best friend is Filipino, my Military wing man is black. Why cant everyone just see us all human? I don't know. Maybe I'm looking way too much into this.

I just wanted to share with you all, this is in no way any attempt to insult anyone. I just wanna get along :nana_rasta:

• Like Like x 1
  2. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I guess I can understand your concerns but ultimately it is what it is; the source is Mexico. Now granted it does add fuel to the fire for those who want a scapegoat; but so be it. Racial tension is nothing new to this country.

No matter what the source is of a disease it must be quarantined and contained; feelings aside. This country does need a secure border to keep out everyone that tries to enter period; be it from the north, south, east, or west. This will help curb the influx of drugs; problems; and in this case a virus.

Honestly how is it any different from what people of the asian persuasion had to go through with sars; just so happens to be the razas turn.... just my opinion; and not intended to offend either.... oh wait yeah if this is being read by a ****** raiders fan with 14 dirty coughing kids yeah go ahead take it personal. :bolt:

3. Game123

Game123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97
    Personally, I do want the borders shut down. I don't really care where the swine flu originated... but that's just me. Methinks you're just a wee bit too sensitive about what others think.

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    There's always going to be somebody who doesn't like you just for who you are. Your best bet is just to be yourself and some people will like you for who you are.

As for everything else, I love visiting Mexico. It's been a few years but I'd like to do it again. Though let's not deny that they are having their share of problems right now, so it will be awhile before I visit again.
    Eventually, the flu will pass and so will the other problems.
    Anybody who wants to see this as a reason to dislike Mexicans isn't worth your time.

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    For me, I'm a white blonde blue eyed girl from san diego - most people assume I'm spoiled, dumb and shallow. Plus I'm whitey so I'm automatically evil and racist. I'm no rocket scientist but I'm pretty sure I'm none of those things (most of the time).

We all have to deal with stereotypes - it's bullshit but we all have to deal with it because stupidity is a silent epidemic. Don't let the haters get you down EsDee!

Illegal immigration is a hot topic for a lot of people, and because Mexico is perceived as the largest source of the problem it unfairly gets most of the blame. I get closing borders or limiting crossing to prevent the spread of disease in the short-term - but there's no need to go crazy and shut them down permanently.

I have zero problem with folks immigrating to America - the more the merrier! What I have a problem with is the abuse of social services by citizens and especially non-citizens and the current system only encourages the abuse.

Today there are big May Day marches going on in LA - people protesting for immigrant rights which makes no sense to me - if you're an immigrant and a citizen then you already hav all the same rights as any other citizen. So are they marching for illegal immigrant/non-citizen rights? That's what irks me. There is a big difference between an immigrant and an illegal immigrant, yet somehow the terms seem to be synonymous which only fosters more anger/fear/racism. Maybe I'm just missing the boat on the whole thing, but imo you shouldn't get the benefits of citizenship if you're not a citizen. Regardless of race/skin color/etc... :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 2
  6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I have spent all day trying to come up with an answer for him, AND you said everything perfectly!

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If only Obama's skin color were white, he would have got my vote in a heartbeat!!! :lol:

8. Game123

Ratings:
    +97
    I think that a lot of 'problems' that people think they have, are all related to their own personal view of themselves.

Let me explain this theory. A lot of us, myself included, have been taught that multi-culturalism is good. That we should be proud to be anything and everything under the sun except an American. We see this in how we define ourselves, Asian-American, Hispanic-American, African-American (this is the stupid one... its used to signify skin color!), etc. No one really ever labels themselves as just plain old 'American'.

Our identities are then relegated to what sub-category we occupy instead of who we are as a people. That's a shame because we have so much to share with one another as Americans by not dividing into such closed cliques. Cliques tend to promote themselves over others at the expense of the whole. Its like a social cancer eating at the American societal fabric.

I despise those who call themselves hyphenated Americans. If I can help it, I won't even socialize with them. I view them as ignorant, self-centered, and anti-American. And just to be clear, yes... I am prejudiced, but only against stupid people.

There! That's my rant. Feel free to pick it apart and to call me names... I don't care. At the end of the day, I'm still American first.

:flag:

9. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,684
    I wouldn't go so far as to say I despise someone who calls themselves a hyphenated American :lol: but otherwise, I totally agree.

Nice post :tup:

GROUP HUG! :icon_party:

10. Game123

Ratings:
    +97

Thanks! People have been trying to label my ethnicity all my life. I reject their attempts. I always leave those questions blank or just flat out refuse to answer. They don't like it when I do that.:lol:

11. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I have so far read every post...and everyone makes perfect sense.

I am in favor of tighter border control, and I feel that illegal immigrants should have very limited non-citizen rights basically human rights. I feel like illegal immigration gives people who did it the right way like my father a bad wrap, he waited it out in TJ and using a working alien Visa, studied and got his citizenship, all while paying taxes.

I know racism, stereotyping and rudeness is here to stay, and immigration will never be fixed. It's just because Mexico is very dear to my heart, I have many relatives in Mexico city. It pisses me off when people talk crap about it, and i get even more pissed when people talk crap about America. My brother died for this country and I am fighting for it, but yet some people that we fight for don't respect us. Just goes to show how sheltered I was.

Didn't mean to sound like a whiner, Game is right and I am being a wee sensitive...but I kinda had to let it out to a crowd that would listen and most importantly, have some input.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,684
    No shame in wanting the world to be a better place sir - Thank you for your service. :icon_toast: Forever appreciated and never forgotten.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Game123

Ratings:
    +97

Hey, I understand where you're coming from... really, I do. My father was Colombian and my wife is a Filipina. I would pass for a typical 'white' person if it were not for my last name. I just hate it when people try to place me in a 'box' when trying to identify my background. That's not important in my book. Being an American is all that matters. There are enough obstacles in life without someone putting me in a box, so to speak. That's why I do not socialize with those who choose to push their hyphenated 'identities' instead of our common American heritage. I want better for my child. I don't want someone to look at him and ask 'what nationality are you?' I want him to be strong and self-assured. I want him to be able to look that person in the eye and reply 'American, dammit!'

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    "If you're black or white... Hispanic or Jew... someone WILL always make fun of you!!"
    ~Carlos Mencia

BOTTOM LINE... BE YOURSELF!!
    Yes... I have a problem with people you will judge you before they meet you.
    Though... I also have a problem with those who feel that anything bad that happens in their life is because of their heritage or skin color.

I'm not saying that there is no prejudice in America but there is MUCH STRONGER PREJUDICE overseas!!! All these ignorant idiots who say "we should be more like Europe" when they've never been to Europe... They just think it makes them hip with the Hollywood crap, need to STFU!!!

I've been to Spain, France, UK, and Australia. I can say that I've seen and experienced A LOT of prejudice in all of those countries.
    No... I'm NOT saying that all people over there are like that BUT all this talk about how they are so much more tolerant than us is absolute crap!!!
    I've also met A LOT of good people in those countries. Good comes with bad!!!

15. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    :icon_rofl: Obama looks like an unwrapped mummy. :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  16. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976

My Wife was born in Culican Mexico.

17. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189
    The common flu kills more people so far than the H1N1.

I just wish the Cartels would get this sh*t worked out, so I can go back to baja to camp, and fish! :abq2:

Btw, the reason Cartels are in business is because of American lust for drugs, let's be honest, we AMERICANS, are the largest consumers of illicit drugs in the world. But that is another thread.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Thank you for cutting through the crap and stating the truth so succinctly. Good work:tup:!!!

19. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +1,016
    Lemmeseehere - a great part of my heritage is American Indian - does that mean my stereotype trumps your stereotype?

Just thought I'd ask. :)

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,178
    Well maybe, but I am Irish... Need I say more?! :abq1: :icon_party: :icon_toast:

21. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Excellent post, EsDee. :tup: And as a military mom, I send my thanks to you and your brother for serving our country!:flag:

I personally am a "mutt", being half Irish and the other half Scottish, Cherokee, Mexican, French, Dutch, Welsh, and German. Although my mother was not thrilled with her Hispanic ancestry and never talked about it, I grew up surrounded by Mexican families, so I learned to speak Spanish well enough to get by (I probably know at least 100 "street" terms for a certain part of male anatomy:lol:) and to respect the culture.

Americans' general disdain for Mexico and its citizens has always confused me..........after all, we're all just people. We bleed the same color and put our pants on one leg at a time. Both cultures love their children, worship the same God, fight for what they believe in. I wish people would learn to see other cultures in view of their commonalities rather than their differences, but that too is a subject for another thread.

Climbing down off my soapbox now...........:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  22. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan New Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I feel your pain, my friend. Living as a minority in the U.S. is pretty interesting experience. You appreciate the freedom and all the things that the country have to offer, but whenever something goes wrong that involves your racial persuasion somehow you always end up getting dragged into it even if it has nothing to do with you.

I count my blessings that I ended up living in California, where the people are generally more tolerant of people of other races. I remember last year a month or so after the Virginia Tech shooting I was getting the occasional nervous look from random Caucasian person, especially when I just entered their store. It was really odd considering how many Asians live in the Bay Area.

Hang in there, my friend. The ignorant will always be there. The best we can do is to ignore them and not lot them affect our lives.

• Like Like x 2
  23. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +475
    I'm glad you haven't gotten your way on this one

this is the only thing I agree with, specially since technically a south african (pale white) guy can marry a white american woman and have a really white african-american kid (who would be more african than say a black guy 10 generations removed from Africa)

24. Game123

Ratings:
    +97

1. No yet at least. I'm still awaiting the backlash from Obama's attempt to grant amnesty to illegal aliens. When that pendulum swings, its gonna swing hard and the repercussions are gonna be severe. Let's just hope it doesn't get too ugly.

2. That's true. The term 'African-American' cannot denote ethnicity. To assume so, only shows a person's ignorance when they try to use it in such a manner.

25. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +475
    of course, if that ever happens, you'll realize how much you need us (as do we need you), maybe you can survive without illegal workers (who build, harvest, clean for you at way lower wages) but you buy a lot of products manufactured in Mexico, those lower wages we have here make it affordable for you to buy that nice 52" HDTV

Keep illegal immigrants out if you want, I've been in line for about 10 years :icon_sad:, but keep the borders open (I like going to padres/chargers games, Balboa, shopping, etc) and keep trade between both countries going (like it or not, we need each other)

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Hope your day comes soon.

27. Game123

Ratings:
    +97
    Hey, I have no problem with legal crossings. Its the illegal crossings that is killing this country. Once the borders have been shut down, walls built to keep out illegals, then we can open designated crossings to allow the free flow of people with the proper documents permitting them to enter.

My view is not anti-Mexican, or any other ethnicity, its all about our ability to control the borders.