1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting to know A.J. Smith

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Getting to know A.J. Smith

Posted 13 hours ago
    6-20-2010

The Chargers general manager shares his favorite music, the hardest part of his job and more.

[​IMG]

A.J. Smith passed the seven-year mark as general manager of the Chargers in April. He’s helped build a team that’s won AFC West championships five of the last six seasons and watched the team win 67 regular-season games since 2004, trailing only the Indianapolis Colts (77) and New England Patriots (73).
    But who really knows A.J. Smith? The successful general manager opened up to Chargers.com, giving fans a glimpse inside the man who has built one of the successful franchises in the NFL.

Favorite professional teams as a kid: The New York Giants, Boston Patriots and Boston Celtics.

Position I’d play if I had to get on the field today: I guess being an old wide receiver, and I mean old, I would be most comfortable at that position. I would hope the routes called for me would be short and heading toward the sideline.

If I wasn’t an NFL G.M., I’d probably be: An agent.
    Favorite athlete to watch in another sport: Kobe Bryant.

Favorite meal: Traditional Thanksgiving turkey dinner with all the fixings.

First real job: Health and physical education teacher in Providence, Rhode Island.

First car: A green 1966 Ford Fairlane.

Music I listen to: Beach Boys, Beatles and Rolling Stones take me back to high school. Motown, a lot of Four Tops and Temptations take me back to college days. Recent years, it’s a lot of Jimmy Buffett, Bob Marley and various Caribbean steel drum and Hawaiian music.

Most valued traits in others: Loyalty and trust. This is very important to me. If you have these traits and hold true, it’s special. If I believe you don’t, we will part company sooner than later.

Worst habit: I drink too much coffee in the morning.

Best thing about San Diego: Without a doubt, the weather.

My bucket list includes: Playing golf with my wife at various courses around the country and top it off with some rounds in Scotland.

A couple of favorite quotes: “It is important that people know you walk among them without fear,” by Abraham Lincoln, and, “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated,” Maya Angelou.

Favorite movie of all time: Animal House. A lot of people tell me that movie was an exaggeration of fraternity life. I’m one that will argue, ‘I don’t think so.’

Best advice I’ve been given: Work hard, be respectful and do the right things in life. If you do that, you will have a great chance of being happy and successful.

Worst advice: Be nice to people that are not nice to you.

Hardest part of my job: Making decisions to part ways with guys that were outstanding players who helped you win games. Guys that were everything you were looking for in a Chargers player both on and off the field.

Three adjectives that describe myself: Loyal. Dedicated. Persistent.

2. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    :tdown:
    Bull****ingshit!!!

AJ is one of the least loyal and respectful guys in the NFL. So far, the only guy ive seen him be respectful and loyal to is Rivers, no one else on the team seems to matter

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Wait till Rivers starts falling off (in 10+ years), if AJ is still here, he will piss on Rivers also rather than parting ways respectfully

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    denverbolt, why do you hate a.j. so much. He's only built the chargers into a contender for years now. If keading could have kicked some field goals we'd probably have at least two super bowl wins now.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't hate him. I think he is a good GM, just a complete dick of a human being, and that has been shown over and over every single time someone leaves, he pisses on them on the way out the door.

And if Norv wouldn't have settled for FG's, and not tried to run the ball in a playoff game when we couldn't run the ball all year, we may have won a SB. It is easy to place the blame of a loss of one player, but it is a team sport, and every member of the team is responsible. Rivers didn't get it into the end zone, the RB's sucked (Which was to be expected), the WR's couldn't get in the end zone, the play calling was horrible, and even though the defense played well for most of the game, they had a few big plays that blew the game.

It was a team loss, every player and every coach is responsible

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    :tup:

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    He "pisses on them on the way out the door"? The only player that's gone "out the door" lately was LT. LT was the one complaining AFTER he signed for LESS MONEY in NY.

As for the VJ & MM situation, AJ has done the right thing. You seem to have little faith in this team to compensate if those two don't play next season.

8. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Please share with us some examples of A.J. pissing on people as they walk out the door.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am not saying lately, I am saying through his whole career in SD. And since you have obviously been in a hole the last 2 years, AJ started pissing on LT well before he left when he took a shot at LT by saying he doesn't need a hall of fame RB to win a SB. How anyone can say that is not a blatant shot at LT, it totally beyond me. If AJ doesn't want a player around anymore, fine. He is the GM and that is his job, but there is no need to talk **** about the guy.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He pissed on Marty, Brees, Donnie, LT, Rodney, Jr., and will continue to do it to every single person he feels is expendable. Like I tell people at work, if you have issues with everyone you work with, it probably isn't everyone else

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    In a hole the past two years? Get over yourself. He didn't piss on LT "through his WHOLE career". Sounds like you're the one who who's lacking in facts.

LT's been the one pissing & moaning since he left. Wake up.

12. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Do you just play a dumbass on the internet, or you really one in real life?:icon_shrug:

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,421
    Really? So it was AJ Smith and not Marty Schottenheimer who said Rodney and Junior were washed up? :lol:

14. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

:icon_rofl:

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I said AJ has pissed on player through his whole career, not on LT his whole career. Once AJ no longer wanted LT, that is when he started pissing on LT

16. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Seriously? :lol: :icon_rofl:

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I doubt AJ is here then, but if he is, just watch. History has shown that AJ treats all players like **** on their way out the door, and Rivers will not be any different

18. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Get your head out of your ***. Who has he not treated with respect? Who is walking out on their team mates in the VJ and MM situation? Please....

19. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    So, any player that gets older and is released for the good of the team is automatically "treated like ****"? At some point, you have to replace guys. Because those guys don't want to leave, that somehow is AJ treating people like ****? If AJ treated players the way some of you think he should.... the Chargers would be in last place in a matter of a few years. You'd be looking at the "Lions/West".

The worst part of being a GM is, as AJ was quoted in the article, releasing good players that you admire and respect and who have done well for you. But there is a reason you don't see too many 40 year old players. So, sorry for all you guys that can't let go, but I'd rather have a winning team year after year.

20. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    All my kids had "issues" with me, too, because I wouldn't give in to all their selfish, petty, child demands. These players, for the most part, are just big children. How much of $3+ mil for one year is "disrespectful"? And, walking out on your team mates is okay? Who's showing disrespect in this situation? If both VJ and MM signed those tenders and show respect to the team, they'd have gotten huge, fair contracts next year. No doubt. So, WHO is AJ treating unfairly? I feel like the FANS have been treated unfairly by some of the players.

21. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Rodney was released when Butler was GM. I don't recall any comments at all from AJ in reference to Rodney. Show me one quote where AJ trashed Marty. You can't because there are none. It was well documented that the two did not agree on the direction the team should head but both kept the feud out of the media. Brees lied about the extent of his injury and tried to portray himself as the victim to the media and AJ merely responded. If you recall, AJ franchised him the year prior and it was documented that he wanted to sit him in the final game but Marty started him in order to try to get himself a bonus in his contract that paid out if the Chargers had a winning season. Donnie biatched and whined to fans and the media months before AJ responded and in the end AJ was right about Donnie's worth at the end of his career. As far as LT is concerned AJ has admitted that a couple of his comments didn't paint LT in a positive light and went as far as clarifying those comments. That being said over the past few years LT made it clear that he disagreed with Brees leaving, openly feuded and argued with Rivers his first year as the starter, pouted on the sidelines of the Pats game, biatched about Norv's offensive scheme, disclosed more information about the extent of his groin injury in the 2008 playoffs, and has been a whiny biatch from the moment he left the Chargers.

So I guess from your standpoint all of these guys can be arseholes without scrutiny but if AJ responds in any way that is not effusive praise than he is the problem. :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,421
    I like how you conveniently overlook my post where I pointed out your blatant ignorance on recent Chargers history.

AJ Smith didn't proverbially piss on Rodney Harrison or Junior Seau. It was Marty Schottenheimer who said they were washed up.

AJ Smith wasn't even the GM when they were cut. (Although he may or may not have been the one to pull the trigger because I think Butler was sick by that point)

23. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I call bullshit.

Marty orchestrated his own **** to get himself fired. He intentionally did stuff that he KNEW would cause DEAN SPANOS to fire him. Yeah, he and A.J. didn't get along, big deal. I don't think I would constitute "pissing on" Marty.

Brees? He chose not to offer a ridiculous contract to a dude coming off major shoulder surgery. Since A.J. Smith does not have a crystal ball, the Chargers, and EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL except for New Orleans decided not to offer Brees a huge amount of guaranteed money.

Seau and Edwards were old and making too much money. MANY GM's jettison players like this, every season.

Releasing Harrison is the only move I didn't agree with, but they had their reasons. Not sure why not wanting to keep a player equate to "pissing on" them.

I don't know if you caught A.J. with your wife or something, but you seem to want to put a negative spin on anything he does, especially when many of those same things are routinely done by other NFL clubs. It's how the NFL works.

24. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Game, set, match.

25. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    You mean like releasing him earlier than they had to so L.T. would have a better shot at finding a new gig?

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629

No, teams and players can part ways in a respectful manner, just like Emmit did in Dallas and like Edge did in Indi. Unlike those teams, AJ takes blatant shots at players on their way out the door

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No, like talking **** about him 2 years prior to releasing him. His only other choice was to keep him because everyone including LT knew that no team was trading for his contract

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Why did AJ get rid of John Jefferson?:icon_shrug::icon_huh:

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Then, my bad. But that still leaves 4-5 guys he treated like ****.

The reason I mentioned Rodney was because of his comments about regretting being a team guy and playing injured when the team kicked him to the curb after being a team guy, and how he doesn't see too many players doing the same for this franchise

30. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Ok...so now it's 4-5 guys he's treated like ****? Who? Links? Proof? You keep changing your story like this no one is going to believe anything you say.