1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting to know Ted Cottrell; Retrospective

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ted Cottrell is a veteran coach with 22 of experience on the defensive side of the ball. Cottrell is reputed to be an excellent teacher and leader of winning defenses. He in an experienced coordinator with a strong foundation in the 3-4 attacking-style defense that helped the Chargers lead the NFL in sacks in 2006. Since first becoming a defensive coordinator in 1998, Cottrell has had seven players record seasons of at least 10 sacks.

Ted’s approach is to put his players in positions to make plays. This should make any San Diego Chargers fan smile, because he is taking over a defensive unit full of young talent who can and will make plays. Ted’s coaching style should mesh with the Chargers defensive personnel very well. As a defensive coordinator, Ted has coached five playoff units, in eight seasons. He has also seen ten different players under his tutelage go to a cumulative 16 Pro Bowls.

Ted has stated since becoming the Chargers Defensive Coordinator, “I’m looking forward to working with such a young and talented group of athletes,” said Cottrell. “I enjoy coaching the 3-4, particularly if you have athletes like those here in San Diego. I look forward to helping these players be the best they can be.”

Coaching Experience:
    1973-79: Defensive Line, Rutgers University
    1980: Defensive Coordinator, Rutgers University
    1981 – 82: Linebackers, Kansas City Chiefs
    1983: Defensive Coordinator, Rutgers University
    1984 – 85: Defensive Line, New Jersey Generals (USFL)
    1986-89: Defensive Line, Buffalo Bills
    1990-93: Defensive Line, Arizona Cardinals
    1994: Linebackers, Arizona Cardinals
    1995-97: Linebackers, Buffalo Bills
    1998-00: Defensive Coordinator, Buffalo Bills
    2001-03: Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator, New York Jets
    2004-05: Defensive Coordinator, Minnesota Vikings
    2007: Defensive Coordinator, San Diego Chargers

Buffalo Soldiers:

During his years in Buffalo Cottrell’s defenses were very good. During his three years as defensive coordinator in Buffalo, his units were ranked in the top five each year, including the number on defensive unit in 1999.

In addition to his coaching ability, Cottrell's affable demeanor toward both his players and the media is considered a strength.
    "You couldn't get a better combination of a good coach, motivator and one you respect," Buffalo defensive end Marcellus Wiley said. "Ted can get on your case and make you play to another level. Hopefully, that's what Mr. Wilson takes into account when looking for a new head coach. There are lots of names floating out there, but who cares? I think we've got one of the best candidates right here at home."

Ted’s 1999 unit was impressive setting team records for fewest points, touchdowns, total yards and first downs allowed in a season. He has had the respect of his players where ever he has gone and his years in Buffalo are touted as some of his finest coaching years.

In 1997 the bills had the 8th ranked defense in the NFL, ranking 12th in passing, 15th rushing, 23rd in sacks and 14th in interceptions) which is indeed respectable. However in 1998, Ted’s first season as Defensive coordinator the Bills improved to the 6th overall ranked defense in the league. His unit improved against the run from 15th to 5th, and moving up two spots in sacks.

That upwards trend continued the next year in a big way as his 1999 defensive unit ranked number one over all in the NFL. They were first against the pass, 4th against the run, 10th in sacks and 3rd in interceptions.

Ted’s defense in Buffalo was the 3-4 as installed by Head Coach Wade Philips.

Taking off with the Jets:

Ted left Buffalo in 2001 to accept the Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator position with the New York Jets under head Coach Herman Edwards. This confused some annalists because it was clear that the scheme that had made Ted so successful in Buffalo was a bit different than the one Herman Edwards favored in New York.

Ted did not have the personnel he had in buffalo when joining the Jets. In his first year as defensive coordinator the Jets actually fell from the 10th ranked defense in 2000, to the 19th ranked unit in 2001. Herman Edwards was always publicly supportive of his defensive coordinator, but at the end of the 2003 season many on the inside of the organization knew a change was coming.

Reports from inside the locker room suggested that Edwards preferred a coordinator who would use a scheme like the "cover two" popularized by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
    Some people familiar with the 2003 Jets didn’t feel that the Coordinators should have been changed. The season was began with six new starters, and towards the end of the season the unit was beginning to come together and really improve its game.

It is not as if Ted’s units in New York did not have any success; New York finished 2001 ranked 2nd in the league with 39 takeaways on their way to a Wild Card playoff berth. A In 2002, the Jets started the season 1-4, but their opportunistic defense led a charge that helped turnaround their season that ended with yet another trip to the playoffs.

Viking Raiders:

Early in 2004 the Minnesota Vikings , named Ted Cottrell the defensive coordinator. He took over an aggressive unit that was first in the NFC and second in the NFL forcing 28 interceptions. In Cottrell's first season as defensive coordinator the Vikings posted a rush defense that ranked 21st, a pass defense ranked 29th, and a total defense ranked 26th. The defense only had 22 takeaways.

In Minnesota Ted did not have the support of his players who questioned Ted's scheme and ability. One of the more vocal players was cornerback Antoine Winfield who claimed that the team isn't aggressive enough, ripped Ted for not implementing the game plan they practiced all week, and for not making adjustments after Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith was shredding the Vikings pass defense.

Ted’s Vikings resembled the Raiders under Norv Turner. High priced players with questionable work ethics who had a habit of pointing fingers at others instead of themselves.

In conclusion; why Ted will be good for the Bolts:

“Ted is one of the NFL’s most respected defensive minds,” said Head Coach Norv Turner. “And his experience and success with the 3-4 defense will help us maintain continuity on that side of the ball and grow and get better.”

Ted is a proven teacher and leader of winning defenses, as demonstrated in Buffalo and New York. His background includes a strong foundation in the same 3-4 attacking-style defense that helped the Chargers lead the NFL in sacks in 2006. Sacks have been one thing that Ted Cottrell’s defensive have been known for, Ted has had seven players under his tutelage record seasons of at least 10 sacks.

With an offensive minded coach like Norv Turner, tit will Fall on Ted Cottrell to prepare the Chargers defensive unit to play.

This is actually a very good fit as Ted’s long resume as a defensive assistant speaks for itself. But he has also worked with former Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips when both were in Buffalo. The Chargers don't want any major changes, and Cottrell will run the same type of defense that Phillips ran.

Continuity is maintained on the defensive side of the ball, just as it is on the offensive side of the ball. Many old wise men would tell you, ‘IF it aint broke, don’t fix it!” AJ Smith has tinkered a bit, but has not changed the system, the young players should be able to pick up any new kinks and continue where they left off in 2006!

• Like Like x 1
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Great read, Conc

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Ya.

Good article.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good read, but I'm not sold on this choice for DC yet. Proof's in the pudding. Preseason pudding hasn't tasted all that great, but hopefully they're saving it for da Bears.

5. knowsthebolt

knowsthebolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    I completely agree with ya. Before the Phillips strip that 1st team Rams offense was controlling our 1st team D. IT was continuing to happen until the Hart interception. Maybe it's just the vanilla style, their playing, but win a few of the one on one battles.

6. KNSD

KNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    The Charger D did what Chicago's D does all the time. Bore the opposition to death and then get a turnover. Rivera may have more influence than we first thought.

7. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    It will drive me crazy if we go through games giving up 15 play drives and hoping for a TO. Somehow the offense is resting LT, guarding the playbook and still being successful.

Our defense is staying vanilla and not stopping anyone. Our CBs were both pretty bad last night, as was McCree. Maybe its lack of pass rush, but Merriman and Phillips were both rushing like usual.

No reason to worry about the sky falling yet, but the defense needs to step up. Or as good as the offense as looked we might just outscore everyone. That would be fun to watch. :)

8. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Wiley loved him, what more do we need to know!

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm not concerned with our D

not one bit

they are going to show anything until the season starts

no reason to show your hand until then

just stay away from injuries and it'll all be good

:tup:

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    ps

thanks for the read Conc.

(read: post padding) :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ahh thanks, I guess you could consider posting something like this post padding...

I agree with you, I am not concerned about the Defense. I understand where Cottrell got the rep for being vanilla, but look at his personnel at the Jets and Vikings.

I would not be sureprised given the coupling of Cottrell and Rivera if we did not come out with the number one defense in the league.

12. knowsthebolt

knowsthebolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    The talent is here to be the best unit in the league. But being vanilla is not what made the Chargers such a formidable unit. I will certainly wait and hold judgement on Cottrell, but he was out of football for a reason last year. Through 2 games this preseason, the 1st team D has not looked very impressive, while the offense has been very productive.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Nice post Conc. This vanilla stuff IS getting old. They need to start showing something soon, just to get the feel for game situations and to foster some attitude. I just don't see it so far. They need to start slapping some offenses around and soon. Just to make me feel better. That's important.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I doubt w will show anything prior to September 9th.

15. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    I am concerned as well about Cotrell. Who else could we have gotten though? Perhaps we could have made Pagano the DC and made Rivera the LB/ Assistant DC, I dunno. We lost Manusky thanks to Marty and he may have been a good choice. Who outside the team knows Wade's scheme as well as Cotrell?

16. knowsthebolt

knowsthebolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Last night the 1st, 2nd and 3rd team offense was able to run the ball at will, by physically beating the guy in front of them. Nothing fancy. Through 2 games the only guy we've seen that from on our D was Shaun Phillips last night. This is where I'm concerned, it's preseason, don't show anything, play vanilla all thats fine but win some of the individual matchups. The Rams owned are guys on their first drive until Phillips forced the fumble.

17. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Is the offense showing its hand to be successful? They aren't playing LT, but its been solid. So is it possible to be vanilla and not show your hand and still be successful? I would think so.

Are you assuming the other offense's aren showing their hand as well? Are the other defense's not showing their hands either? If so, it all should even out and the good teams should look good and the bad teams look bad.

I really believe this whole "showing our hand" stuff is a BS excuse for poor play. Fortunately its just the second preseason game so it really doesn't matter at this point. There is time to fix it.

18. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    A return to the early 80's style of winning games, perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
  19. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86

Worked in Cincinnatti last year, not so much at KC. It's looking like we might be trying it out more often.
    :( :icon_shrug:

20. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    No I don't need anymore stress than the games usually put me under.:no:

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    But what about my feelings? I bet they don't even care. I hope we're not back to the Tom Bass school of defense. Cotrell has got to give these guys their head pretty soon in game situations. At least for one series anyway. They need to get timing down in live ball. Cotrell has some new schemes and they really need to adapt to the flow of at least some of the base packages, especially with Wilhelm and Cooper in their first year of starting.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Unfortunately I dont think they take our feelings into account.

I think we are all hoping that the D is just a vanilla preseason D. But fearing that it might not be.