1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Giants Q&A: Brees determined to keep his job

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Sep 22, 2005.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    After last season, Chargers quarterback Drew Brees was given an award for comeback player of the year. The way he has played so far this year, he might have to give it back.

Like the 0-2 Chargers, Brees has struggled to find the form he showed when the team went 12-4 a year ago. He has completed only 57 percent of his passes and has thrown three interceptions and only two touchdowns.

With last year's No. 4 overall pick Philip Rivers behind him, Brees can't afford to revert to his old form.

Brees spoke to local reporters on a conference call yesterday:

What has been the problem the first two games? Well, nothing that can't be fixed. The big thing is mainly when we have been in situations to make plays, we haven't made them. And I can look to each of those games and you make one play -- I mean literally one play -- in each of those games and you win the game. And we didn't make it.As a quarterback, how difficult can a hostile fan reaction be and also what kind of reaction do you think the fans will have for Eli Manning on Sunday? Oh, I'm sure it'll be hostile. Any time you are playing at home, you want your fans to be hostile towards the other team. But you know, this is for obviously different reasons than just any other team or any quarterback coming to town. I mean for us as a team, we're just out to win a football game. It has no other meaning to us.Have the defensive players in your locker room talked at all about the fact that Eli Manning did not want to play for your team? I'm sure it's just a slight bit of motivation. But we have enough motivation as it is. We're not making it a bigger deal than it is. But hey, whatever gets you a little more fired up, more power to you. What were you thinking when all this Manning stuff was going on?I was thinking I don't care who comes in here, whether it be Eli Manning or Philip Rivers or if they bring in a free agent. I'm the starting quarterback and leader of this football team and that's all there is to it. I respect whoever they bring in because I know they will bring in good players, but it doesn't matter to me because they aren't taking my job.Is it difficult knowing how much the organization has invested in Rivers?Obviously, I realize that. But last year I said I was going to make it as hard on them as possible to get rid of me and this year I'm going to try to make it as easy as possible to keep me.