1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Giants tough challenge for Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Chargers.com
    Casey Pearce
    Posted Nov 3, 2009

After consecutive wins in their division, the Chargers now prepare for a cross-country trip to face a talented Giants team.

As pleased as the Chargers are about the way that they played the last two weeks, players acknowledged Monday that their Week 9 contest at Giants Stadium will show them where they stand halfway through the schedule.
    “I think it’s a measuring stick because of where we are,” running back LaDainian Tomlinson[​IMG] said. “I think it’s a good measuring stick. This is a team that’s been good for a long time so we’re going to see where we stand. It’s going to tell us a lot about ourselves.”
    At 4-3, the Chargers are riding a two-game win streak following wins over Kansas City and Oakland. Now they’ll prepare to travel cross country to face a New York Giants team that began the season with five-straight wins before dropping the last three games.
    “It’s a tough place to go on the road in a game that I think will say a lot about us,” quarterback Philip Rivers[​IMG] said. “We’ve put two (wins) together that many expected us to win as did we, but we’ve still had to go do it. This one will be the toughest we’ve had in the last three weeks.”
    Despite losing their last three, the Giants rank fifth in the NFL in total offense and seventh in rushing offense. On defense, they’ve allowed the third-fewest yards in the NFL and are third against the pass.
    Head Coach Norv Turner acknowledged the talent the Giants possess, and he believes Eli Manning and company will be extremely hungry following three straight losses.
    “Our guys are going to go into New York expecting their best because I think that’s what we’re going to get from them,” Turner said. “They’re a talented group of guys that have had a couple tough weeks and there’s no doubt in my mind what we’ve got to get ready for. It’s going to be a real challenge for us.”

Turner said Monday that he likes the momentum the Chargers have picked up the last two weeks. He cited a pass rush that has produced 10 sacks in the last two weeks while holding both Kansas City and Oakland under 100 yards net passing, an offense that continues to make big plays and an offensive line that continues to improve.
    “We are growing and we’re getting better,” Turner said. “We’re getting some guys going. We’ll have a great week of practice and we’re looking forward to going back and playing. The look on our guys’ faces before the game, the energy we have before the game, and there’s a sense of confidence in terms of where we’re at. We’ve got a real challenge this week and we’ll go practice and prepare for it.”

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Kick.Their.A$$es.Chargers

:abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Giants are not playing well right now. We better be able to kick em' while they're down!!!

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    No doubt this is a "what kind team are the chargers" game. Not an easy place to play and that D is very good. Eli and the O are slumping, so hopefully the chargers D can capitalize on that.

It is interesting that the Giants 5-0 start had KC, Tampa, Was, Oak and a 2 pter over Dallas. All scrub teams except for Dallas who is mediocre. They lost to NO, AZ and Phi. All 3 teams have good defenses.

Maybe the Giants are a bit overrated?

Eli has thrown 6 picks in the last 3 games with a QBR of 60 or less in each.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    It's possible, but playing on the road on the east coast, is a problem for us. There's a chance, perhaps a much better chance than the road game in Pittsburgh for us to win. But it's a slight chance IMO.

If we were playing in San Diego, then I would like our chances ALOT more.

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm looking at this game as very good practice for the rest of the season. Got to stop the giants running game. And score points via our offense and win. Good practice. We can win every game. Just got to quit giving other teams huge opportunites to get easy scores. Geez. Were the nicest team in the world when it comes to keeping games close. Geez.:yes:

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551

I ****ing hate this guy. :icon_evil:

8. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362

I ****ing hate this guy. :icon_evil:[/QUOTE]

LOL...I hear ya!:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  9. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I like our chances on the road vs the Giants more than playing the Eagles at home.

10. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I say we take them both down... :abq2:

11. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    I HATE ELI! WIN AT ALL COST! RUB HIS SISSY LITTLE WHINEY FACE INTO THE GROUND!:trout:

• Like Like x 2
  12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    What Holy Bolt said....:yes:

13. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers' defining time

By Kevin Acee
    November 3, 2009

SAN DIEGO – There are certain games that give direction to a season, define a team, make a career.

The Chargers are going to the Big Apple – actually New Jersey, but a big stage nonetheless – to play one of those games.
    And no one can dispute it.
    Defensive end Luis Castillo, not quite halfway through what has so far been his best NFL season, has been reticent to say much of substance since the start of training camp. He's just trying to make it through a year healthy, helping a team that struggled to a 2-3 start before winning two straight. One of the most engaging and well-spoken Chargers since he came to San Diego in 2005, Castillo has been utterly and purposefully boring.
    But he did not hesitate nor hold back when the importance of this Sunday's game at the New York Giants was brought up.
    “This is a heavyweight fight,” Castillo said. “We've been in the same position against a great team that's been struggling a bit. We had a chance to go in there and make a statement, and we didn't do it. We haven't done well with those. This is a game we need to step up.”
    Castillo was referring specifically to San Diego's Oct. 4 loss at Pittsburgh, where the Chargers faced a team on a two-game losing streak and got embarrassed on national TV. But he also alluded to recent history of not coming up big in big games.
    The Chargers are 0-3 against teams with winning records this season and 10-16 against such teams since 2007. On the road since '07, they are 3-11 against winning teams. (By way of comparison, the Steelers are 12-10 against winning teams since 2007, 4-6 away from home.)
    While the Giants have lost three straight to fall to 5-3, they remain, in perception at least, among the elite teams in the NFL. They have the league's third-ranked defense and fifth-ranked offense in yards per game. They are the league's top big-play offense. They are at home.
    “It will be a heck of a challenge,” LaDainian Tomlinson said. “These guys are Super Bowl champs from a couple years ago. I think it's a different type of team. This is a team that can run the ball effectively, can throw the ball. They get after the quarterback. They can stop the run. Playing at their house, losing three straight, it's going to be a tough game.”
    The Chargers have backed away from the edge, even regained some confidence with their victories over Kansas City and Oakland the past two weeks. They have maintained that a win is a win, that every NFL team is worthy of respect, that every game is difficult to win.
    Maybe so, but then there are games like this.
    “Every week is a treat playing in the NFL and playing an NFL game, but these are the kind of games, the reason why you play,” Philip Rivers said. “You get to go right in the thick of all the action (on) the East Coast, being in New York and playing a team that won the championship two years ago and is very capable and thought of highly this year. Tough place to go on the road and a game that will say a lot about us.
    “I think we've put two together that many expected us to win, as did we, but you still got to go do it, and now this one here would be the toughest challenge we've had in the past three weeks.”
    It will also begin a three-week stretch in which the Chargers will go on to host the Philadelphia Eagles (5-2) and play at AFC West leader Denver (6-1).
    The past two weeks have lessened the calls from the outside for drastic change and if not quelled a locker room revolt then at least quieted some internal grumbling.
    But what do the Chargers really know about themselves having beaten two of the teams that could well vie for the top pick in next April's draft?
    Sunday will give more clarity to the conundrum of how good the Chargers really are.
    “It's a measuring stick because of where we are right now – to be 4-3 and battling our way and taking it one game at a time,” Tomlinson said. “It's a good measuring stick. This is a team that has been good for a long time, so we're going to see where we stand.”
    While the Chargers spoke of getting some of their “swagger” back the past two weeks, and they certainly have had key components play well, a victory along the New York/New Jersey border would be more reason to believe than beating two AFC West weaklings.
    “It's a big game for us,” linebacker Stephen Cooper said. “It (can) get us over the hump, getting us concentrating on our strength, not worrying about who we're playing, going into a game confident, knowing we're one of the best teams in the league.”
    Roster move
    The Chargers Tuesday signed rookie linebacker James Holt from the practice squad. Holt (6-2, 223) played at Kansas.

14. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    HELL YEAH!!! :tup:

15. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    WE JUST NEED TO WIN BY 1 POINT THATS IT 1 POINT

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Absolutely. :icon_twisted:

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    "I think whoever scores the most points, will win the game." - John Madden.:tup:.........oh, and "BOOM!"

18. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The next three weeks will define our season. It's time to take our game up a notch starting with a bloody beat down of the gnats.

Oh and ps....

Hey Sheli...................

[​IMG]

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554

I ****ing hate this guy. :icon_evil:[/QUOTE]

You gotta love blind hatred. Is there anything Norv could say or do that would not elicit that reaction?

• Like Like x 1
  20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    You gotta love blind hatred. Is there anything Norv could say or do that would not elicit that reaction?[/QUOTE]

NO!:icon_evil:

:lol:

21. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    You gotta love blind hatred. Is there anything Norv could say or do that would not elicit that reaction?[/QUOTE]

I have to say, it was a pretty stupid statement from Norv!

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I have to say, it was a pretty stupid statement from Norv![/QUOTE]

What would you expect from a head coach that carries a clip board?

On the other hand... if we can't kick a team when they're down, we absolutely suck!!!

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We sink or swim the next two games. We have to win these games, but making Eli choke on mouths full of lawn will be a pleasure. I am just happy that we have punked the Raiduhs again. I'll sleep better, win or lose.

24. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370

I have to say, it was a pretty stupid statement from Norv![/QUOTE]

Why?

25. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    Why?[/QUOTE]
    I will re-post the qoute for your reading pleasure.

“We are growing and we’re getting better,” Turner said. “We’re getting some guys going. We’ll have a great week of practice and we’re looking forward to going back and playing. The look on our guys’ faces before the game, the energy we have before the game, and there’s a sense of confidence in terms of where we’re at. We’ve got a real challenge this week and we’ll go practice and prepare for it.”

There is no substance to this comment. "We're getting guys going." WOW...IT is a about Freaking time!

"We will have a great week of practice". GIVE ME A BREAK!

"looking forward to going back and playing." What the hell does that mean?

The rest of the statement is just worst...I want to hear about execution...not how he or the player feel! The touchy feely leadership thing ain't going to work...IMHO

26. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117

Norv is not a great motivator, or speech giver. This is nothing new. He's conservative in what he says, and what he does on the field.

27. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Hope they are! Philip, LaDainian and Vincent have to prove it.

Remember the game when Eli game to Qualcomm 4 years ago

The team was hyped to show who's the best QB.

28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Bellichick is that way too during conferences, but at least he's humerous if only unintentionally. And his team goes into every game prepared.

29. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Very true. AND he wears that damn "Homeless Hoodie"! :lol:

[​IMG]

However I do give him props for hangin out with this chick....

[​IMG]

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Wonder what those cost him? :lol: