1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gil Brandt repoting AJ Smith sighting in Michigan

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Stan_The_Man_12, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Michigan (March 14)
    There were 31 teams in attendance -- Denver being the only team not present -- including Lions head coach Rod Marinelli and Chargers GM A.J. Smith. Ten prospects took part, including OT Jake Long, WR Mario Manningham and QB Chad Henne.

» WR Mario Manningham (5-11 3/8, 183): Ran a 4.44 and a 4.38 in the 40, had a 35-inch vertical jump, ran a 4.38 short shuttle and kept his numbers from the combine for everything else.

» OT Jake Long (6-7, 315): Kept his numbers from the combine and only ran position drills, but had a great workout.

» RB Mike Hart (5-9, 209): Had a 32-inch vertical jump, ran a 4.33 short shuttle, a 6.91 cone drill and kept his numbers from the combine for everything else. He had a good workout and caught the ball well.

» QB Chad Henne (6-2 7/8, 228): Only ran position drills and kept his numbers from the combine for everything else.

» DE Shawn Crable (6-4 3/4, 244): Ran position drills both as a defensive end and a linebacker and kept his numbers from the combine for everything else.

» WR Adrian Arrington (6-3, 202): Ran a 4.55 and a 4.58 in the 40, had a 36-inch vertical jump and ran position drills. He did not run at the combine.

» DB Jamar Adams (6-2 1/8, 211): Ran position drills and kept his numbers from the combine for everything else.

» OL Adam Kraus (6-5 ½, 292): Ran a 5.35 and a 5.40 in the 40, a 4.79 short shuttle, a 7.65 cone drill, had a 26 ½-inch vertical jump, an 8'2" long jump and ran position drills.

From NFL.com

When he goes out and personally checks things out I think AJ is looking at some one.

Stan :rivers17:

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    dammit!!

why didn't he call me!!

I could of met him in Detroit, take the tunnel to Windsor for some great

huh, cigars!! yeah, cigars!!! thats it!!

:lol::lol:

EDIT:

PS.

Long will be long gone, if Hart is there at 27 maybe if AJ makes a rb his top priority, Manningham gets drafted pretty high, can't see any of the other guys going on the first day.

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

3. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

I flew in and out of Detroit Metro once. What a lovely battlefield surrounds it.

4. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

dude, that was the nice part of town!!!

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

:lol::lol::lol:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Don't see anyone on that list who'd interest the Chargers (minus Long and that;s not a possibility)

6. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    How do you know? They could be looking at Crable, Adams or even Hart. Hart isnt fast but he is a football player so you never know. With mostly late round picks i doubt he is there in case Long falls to us.

AJ didnt fly to Michigan for a vacation, thats for sure. Who does that? :lol:

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The only guy is see is Jamar Adams in late rounds or FA. The top one's will be gone or or reaches on the first day.

8. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Mike Hart is a steal i think he might go in the Middle of the 3rd round,Speaking of steals watch out for Thomas Brown from the bulldogs I think he goes late 4th early 5th

9. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    If he is still there it would be a decent pick. We have our compensatories coming and we could trade out of the first, if someone gets the hots for a guy who fell a little far into the lower first round.

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Well if AJ wants to move up he's in the right place. Matt Millan is a fugging idiot. We could probably swap #1's and a wr say Floyd. Millan would wet himself at the chance at grabbing another wide receiver!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I watched a lot of Michigan football, Hart is a player, no question.

:tup:

12. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    The lions are foolish for not getting rid of Millen and bringing in Bill Parcells

13. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    There are other RB's id rather have than Hart. Hart is a gamer but he lacks a burst and id rather have Tashard Choice( to name one) much more than Hart. Hart should fall a lot due to his 4.67 40

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    One mock that I saw (can't remember which one now) had us taking Mario Manningham at 27. I don't see it, but this fuels the notion a bit.

15. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

Strange as it sounds I can see AJ drafting a WR [among many other posibilities] if he stays at no. 1, but like in 2003, I can also see him drop back, Manningham did not have a strong combine, it was actually quite ****** work out, so his stock might be dropping a bit, to what degree? not sure.

Another posibility could be Crable, AJ loves edge rushers, can never have enough of them. Kill the QB of the other team and the other team is dead in the water. AJ lives by this mantra!

16. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    He's also been clocked at 4.55, same as Choice, although Choice also has some faster times. Choice has a burst, but Hart appears to be able to maneuver in traffic better. Choice reminds me of an old AFL guy named Charlie Tolar, who spent his off season putting out oil field fires with the guy John Wayne played in Hell Fighters. Hart has been a tad injury prone, but the problem is that unless we get a decent comp pick, Choice will be gone. My Dark Horse choice for the second day is Marcus Thomas, runs hard and has good hands. After the top three or four backs, they all have flaws. Most of the rest are gamers, though. If AJ trades down out of the first round and picks up a couple of first day choices then we have some more options. Maybe it's just me, but other that the cream of the crop in the top three, I'm underwhelmed at the RB's this year. There's the cream and then their seems to be a cattle call or a pile of cantaloupes at the store. AJ is gonna have to smell'em and give'em 'em a squeeze or get a good look at the cow paddies.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    We are too well stocked at WR which has been noted on numerous other threads. I don't see us taking a WR or even looking at one til maybe late second day. And yeah we could be looking at Hart which would make sense but we don't even necessarily need outside LBs because of the emergence of Jyles Tucker with Marques Harris

18. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Harris might be one of the people I dangle to get us more first day picks unless someone will give us a 2 and a 3 for our one. The teams that might do that are the one's drafting high in those rounds. Could be though, that guys are getting too afraid of being made to look like rubes by AJ to do anything substantial with us.

19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    If Eric Parker can't net us a third or something substantial like that then I don't understand how Marques HArris could get us something. I keep believing that it'll be a draft day trade and it'll be Atlanta for two reasons
    1) Supposedly they are much higher on Glenn Dorsey then on Matt Ryan, Peter King's article gives strength that rumor I heard
    2) If #1 is true, then i imagine they want first dibs on the 'second tier QBs' and since we are pretty close to the bottom of the first and willing to trade out of the first, they could swap two seconds for our first. They get to pick first out of a group of Brohm, Henne, Flacco before teams like Chicago, maybe Carolina, Miami and others get a chance to pick

20. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Parker's on my mind as well, but no one we're willing to trade with is going to get us what we need in more choices unless we trade out of the first round to get into the next two high up. Trading with anyone to get low round 2nd and 3rd round picks would be unproductive if we gave up our first and with that, either Parker or Harris might do the trick. I'm one of those wierdo Parker fans. I don't want to see him go anywhere unless we can do a trade with the #1 that'll get us those two picks. We're better off staying pat if we can't get anyone to bite, since we do have comp picks coming.

21. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Atlanta has so many holes after releasing guys like Crumpler, i dont see where they would trade up and not just use the 3 2nd rounders they have. Thats some pretty good picks to have in this draft that is loaded with good 2nd day CB's, and a QB like Flacco and DL. They need some OL real bad too.

Picking high in the 2nd is an ideal place to get a QB if they want one. No need to trade up for Henne or Flacco imo.

If we trade down, that is nice i guess but Atlanta is horrible so it wouldnt surprise me if they kept all their picks, but who knows. Draft day brings the unexpected a lot.

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    BJ, I saw your custom line "Told you so, Rivers is super".

You are right. You told me so time and time again during the Brees/Rivers wars. He is a very good QB and has played well for us.

23. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38
    AJ and Co. have a fine eye for talent, and always seem to give some FA's some legit shots at making the roster, while AJ was at Michigan I can imagine this guy might have been one of the players he might have been looking at:

We lost Nick Roach last year to the Bear off-the practice squad, it's possible Graham could be a priority FA or late rounder to help out in special teams.

MLB, Chris Graham, Michigan
    Strengths: Graham is a tough, athletic, active linebacker. He's an intelligent defender who understands assignments and reads the action well. He has great range and athleticism. He takes good angles in pursuit and wraps up the ballcarrier. He's always willing to get involved in a play.

Weaknesses: He lacks ideal height and tends to get lost in the shuffle. He over-pursues and will miss tackles. He doesn't have good ball skills and isn't a playmaker.

Overview: Graham contributed immediately when he arrived at Michigan and saw significant time as a freshman. He played in all 12 games on special teams and saw action at linebacker in two games. He played in all 12 games as a sophomore, started four games at middle linebacker and totaled 42 tackles. As a junior, Graham missed two games due to injury, but played in 10 games and started four games at middle linebacker, but his production dropped to 25 tackles. But this past year was Graham's finest. He was the starting weakside linebacker in all 12 games and amassed 90 tackles, seven for a loss and a sack. Graham didn't receive an invitation to the Scouting Combine, but at Michigan's Pro Day he showed scouts in attendance that he's a legitimate prospect. The 5-foot-11, 232 pounds Graham ran a 4.58 in the 40-yard dash and showed off his athleticism with a 31-inch vertical. Graham also put his strength on display as he lifted 225 pounds 37 times.

Draft Projection: Seventh Round-Free Agent

24. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    We absolutely do not need another ILB