1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gilly

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Sep 21, 2015.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Anyone just see Gilchrist drop a pick against luck? Did that look as familiar to you as it did to me?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Haha, just said the same thing!

• Like Like x 1
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yep, saw that.

4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Oh BTW, if you're panicking about our Bolts, just watch the Colts, you'll feel better.

5. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Gilly Int! :roflmao:

6. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    Awkward

7. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Common denominator: weak offensive line!

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I don't think a big enough deal is being made about how badly Chris Watt is playing right now. One or two negative plays per week is...manageable...but I'm not sure we can suffer this much longer. Interior pressure is killing our running game and passing attack.

And Hairston just looks lost. Once again there were plays this week where he actually stood around and did nothing, looking for someone to block while Gordon ran through his zone and was immediately tackled by a linebacker.

Both look like men learning new positions. I think it's time to just suck it up and put Watt at RG, and Robinson at Center.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    A line is just as good as its weakest link and our C is playing like :poop: Hariston is an average utility OL player and although he didn't fill in admirably for an injured Fluker, he was not the weakest link.

What is more worrisome (pun not intended) is that the Colts actually do have a better defensive front 3 than we have in Lissemore and Reyes! Maybe Lissemore will be better if Reyes wasn't so :poop:

10. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Yah then he shuts me up with a nice pick on the sideline lol. Love that kid, his hands drove me crazy though.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Blind Squirrel
    Nut

12. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    Gilchrist is listed as the starting FS for the Jets. He also signed a 4 year, $22M deal with the Jets. The contract is pretty cheap this year, but his base salary jumps up to $5M next year. Anyone want to pay Gilchrist that? Not me.

That said, from what I saw of the game last night (which was only about 30 minutes or so), he looked pretty good out there.

From what I have seen, it is obvious that Wilson is a downgrade from Gilchrist, especially in terms of his nonexistent pass coverage.

I think the Jets are playing Gilchrist in his best position (FS), but Gilchrist was never going to start over Weddle and he really could only be used as a passing down SS because he lacks the physicality needed to excel at the SS position.

Of course, if we don't re-sign/extend Weddle, we are going to need a FS. There is no way that I want Stuckey to be the starting FS.

If Addae could develop in terms of his pass coverage ability, I think he could become an every down SS. But the other thing is that he needs to stay healthy. IMO, Addae would make a great #2 SS if we could ever get our hands on a true #1 SS.

After this season, I would invite Wilson to join another team.

13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Draft Sua Cravens and solve safety problem. I think Mager is here for Weddle's job.

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    BEEF first my friend, BEEF.

We'll see how things change as the season goes on, but right now both lines are playing terrible football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Who's the impact player coming out? Liuget is the only Dline player worth keeping and since Shaun Philips play declined we haven't had pass rusher that is anything more than an injury concern.

16. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    I like Cravens' size, but I am not sure if he possesses the hip fluidity to be effective as a strong safety in pass coverage at the next level. I am not saying he lacks that ability, just that I do not know. It will be interesting to see what his measurables are at the combine.

You may be right about Mager, but my preference would be to bring back Weddle if possible. I think Mager could benefit from another year or two as an understudy, having not even had the benefit of big time college football experience much less significant NFL experience.

Generally, though, I agree with matilack that both lines need help. Unfortunately, the two players that it would be great to have, Robert Nkemdiche (3-4 DE, 4-3 DT) and Ronnie Stanley (OT), will be long gone before we pick unless our season completely falls apart.

17. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    The biggest mystery to me still is as to why Ryan Carrethers inexplicably has not suited up in our first two games! :confused:

We can fantasize all we want about next year's draft but we will have to do with what we have in the cards for this year! The Center, Chris Watt has been awful on the OL making the OL even more suspect than what it was, plus Lissemore being just an average rotational player (against the run) and Reyes being just sub par, does not help our run D much. Unless these two issues are fixed this year, get used to seeing topsy turvy see-saw Chargers game and have your Pepcid AC very close by!

18. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    I feel as though Jets featured a pretty stout defensive line. They punished Colts for trying to run anything up the middle. I agree with the BEEF, I want more BEEF before anything else for the chargers. A powerful Dline can makeup for weaker pass coverage simply due to pressure.

A weak dline and strong pass coverage...if you give a QB enough time, he'll always find his man. Doesn't matter who you have them covering.

19. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    Naked Pictures' presence on the roster plus his being inactive two weeks in a row at $187,500.00 per week remains the biggest mystery to me.

Carrethers being inactive for the first two weeks of the season is a strong second place mystery to me, though, and by far the most disappointing mystery.

Carrethers is the only player capable of significantly shoring up the run defense on the DL for us this year. Not only do I not understand why he is inactive, I do not understand why he is not starting for us.

Our next best run defender (sadly) is Lissemore. My starting DL would be Lissemore-Carrethers-Liuget with the full expectation that neither Carrethers nor Lissemore will contribute anything of value in terms of the pass rush. On passing downs, I would use Philon and Liuget in a 4-3 and only rotate Reyes in on "3rd down and no chance in heck of a running play" to give Philon and Liuget rest. I would rotate Mathews in regularly in passing situations to give rest to Liuget or Philon as well. I would keep the starting DL on the field in all running situations and on first and 10, including first and 10 in passing formations to avoid runs out of a spread offensive alignment.

I would cut Naked Pictures and Unrein without any reservation/hesitation if a roster spot is needed during the year.

And then, next year, I would (finally) address the problem in a serious way (meaning drafting/signing something with greater than 5th round to UDFA value).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Crusher, I agree with most of what you have stated. I think that Donald Duck Brown will be dispensed of shortly after AG returns (I'll be flabbergasted if he does not) I suspect that he has been retained on the roster as an insurance policy if (gawd forbid) one of our RBs goes down early. I disagree with the facetious d*ck pics conspiracy theories ;)

We are already a "hybrid" 3-4 so why not experiment with the above scenario and my guess is that it will be so as the season progresses and as the rookies get more experienced in terms of NFL speed games.

21. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    I agree, but why wait... Either Nekkid Pics or Unrein need to be cut to add Tyrell back in the fold as a potential deep threat and if nothing else a gunner or warm body that is on the 53 that cant get poached... And the other can be cut for when Gates returns. I guess A. Phillips is also in line for a Roster cut if Addae is healthy. But Tyrell needs to get back on the 53 and Carrethers needs to be suiting up on Sundays (if not starting). And somewhere in the fold, the 11th highest paid RB in the entire league needs to be off the squad. Whether as trade bait or just cut.