1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Girls are liking techy toys over jewels and shoes?????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carrie1219, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060801/tc_usatoday/studywomenliketechtoysmorethanshoes

Study: Women like tech toys more than shoes By Edward C. Baig, USA TODAY
    Tue Aug 1, 11:04 AM ET

NEW YORK - Is a plasma TV a girl's new best friend?

An Oxygen Network survey released Tuesday found that more than three out of four women said they'd choose the TV over a diamond solitaire necklace. Women preferred a top-of-the-line cellphone to designer shoes by a similar margin. And a little white iPod narrowly trumped a little black dress.

These are among the results of the Girls Gone Wired survey by market researcher TRU for Oxygen. TRU surveyed 1,400 women and 700 men 15 to 49 years old to compare tech attitudes among the sexes.

The findings suggest advertisers need to address a broad audience and not talk down to women. Advertisers are best served communicating lifestyle benefits of tech products by showing what's useful about them, rather than focusing on specifications, Oxygen says.

"There have been some missed opportunities to market consumer electronics to women," says Steve Koenig, senior manager of industry analysis for the Consumer Electronics Association, whose research reveals only subtle differences between the sexes in their attitudes toward technology.

In the Oxygen survey, 59% of women agreed with the statement "Women are much more tech savvy than they give themselves credit for." Among the men, just 38% agreed.

"Men and women are equally competent in the technology arena," says Oxygen CEO Geraldine Laybourne.

Katie Richardson, 25, a project manager for an elevator company in Chicago, says family members come to her for help setting up iTunes or fixing a digital camera. "I love figuring out all the different functions," she says.

Still, just 35% of women agreed that "most of the time people rely on me for technology help," vs. 54% of men.

However tech-savvy they are, women are typically the decision makers when it comes to buying.

"From every piece of data we've seen, by and large, household budgets are controlled by women," says Randy Komisar, a partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, a prominent venture-capital investment firm. But they are "far more oriented toward solutions rather than tools."

Kristen McDonnell, CEO of LimeLife, a producer of mobile content for women 15 to 35, agrees. "Women are power users of the Internet now in terms of MySpace pages, e-commerce and photo sharing."

New York City College of Technology radiology student Shavonn Tatum, 26, is passionate about gadgets. "I love technology and can't wait to graduate so I can buy things I really want," she says.

2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    This just in: leisure likes blow up dolls over prostitutes and concubines.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buttmunch

Buttmunch New Member

Ratings:
    +108
    :lol:

I was about to write, L likes jewelry over Plasma TV's so long as you're talking about anal beads!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    No, L likes 13 inch Toshibas with with foiled rabbit ears...:tup: :tup:

I must be old school. I like jewels over Plasma TVs.. although I like Plasma TVs too........ BUT... do like cool cell phones over shoes and would take a small white IPod over a little black dress as I already have too many of them. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

I think Chispa might take the shoes... :icon_wink: :lol:

5. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    He told me that they don't "talk back", are low maintenance, and take up almost no room in his closet.

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851

Chispa, if you actually have that pair of shoes or one very similar, you are a freaky sexy babe! :icon_eek:

Sluggy likey! :icon_mrgreen:

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Sluggo, have you ever met a female you didn't like? :lol: :icon_mrgreen:

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Uh..... yeah, in 5th grade. :lol:

9. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182
    :icon_mrgreen: Gotta pic? :yes:

• Like Like x 2
  10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Definitely. Don't tease us like that Chispa without pictures of you wearing them.... :icon_wink:

• Like Like x 1
  11. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Oh. Well if you are modest and shy, just pictures of you wearing them, from the waist down.... :icon_mrgreen: :icon_wink:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    chispa is very attractive in real life. Definitely NOT a plain jane.

Take it from one who has seen her pics. :tup:

13. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    If I could pick an actress that chispa reminds me of, it would probably be this one:

[​IMG]

Right down to the small breasts! :icon_razz:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Well, Angie could have done a better job of picking out her bra color :lol:

Chispa is slim like Angie too... Yup, if chispa looks like any actress, it would be her.

15. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    ANgie Harmon's a hottie! :icon_eek:

Too bad Harmon married Jason Sehorn of the New York Giants NFL team. :icon_evil:

16. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    :icon_rofl: "Carrie" is a common shoe name.... Remember Carrie from "Sex In the City" had tons of shoes....:icon_wink:

I'll take those shoes. Could use the heighth. Now if I could just walk right in heels that high... :icon_shrug: :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  17. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I got a new techy toy and am so excited...a good new scanner/printer/fax that I like alot...my 13 year old daughter just set it up...:icon_eek:

I am scanning old pics of when I was little and when my parents were growing up.

You can download your digital camera memory card straight to this printer/scanner too. And it's fast.

No shoes can beat this. Sometimes I get irritated I wont be able to see the new technology in 100 years...

Plasma > jewelry any day...I lost a diamond ring down the sink anyway...

• Like Like x 1
  18. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    this past July I gave my girlfriend a 1 carat Ruby pendant necklace and she liked it but she said afterwards that she wanted an Ipod Video type for her birthday instead of the necklace and the necklace was $150 more than the Ipod so was I wrong for the necklace? Should I have given her the Ipod? I am confussed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Her and my self have been together for 3 great years and the other thing is that she already has an Ipod that is for music only not for videos so she wanted the video Ipod to go with her music Ipod. I hope that it can answer some questions. Still confussed.

• Like Like x 1
  20. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    She is to me very beautiful and also I thought that the necklace would last much longer than an Ipod would. So I was going for longevity & beauty aspect with all my love to my eyes than esthetics of a mini box of an Ipod which is to me would not symbolize longevity & beauty, no offense to Ipods and Ipod users.

21. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    That was a very nice thoughtful gift you gave her. You were not in the wrong IMO. I would be very happy to get such a gift. Maybe next time a gift certificate to Best Buy would do better. Less thought, but it would make her more happy.

• Like Like x 1