1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Give Heath Ledger an Oscar

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChargerRay, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23956851-5001021,00.html

FILM critics are calling for the late Heath Ledger to receive an Oscar for his 'unforgettable' portrayal of The Joker in new Batman film, The Dark Knight.

The first reviews of the new film in Britain's The Sun newspaper and Rolling Stone magazine praise Ledger's performance, calling it the role of his career.

Rolling Stone reviewer Peter Travers said Ledger "is mad-crazy-blazing brilliant as the Joker".

"If there's a movement to get him the first posthumous Oscar since Peter Finch won for 1976's Network, sign me up.

The Sun said, "Heath steals the movie".

"This film is about one man, and that's Heath Ledger.

"His electrifying performance as The Joker serves up the most menacing, villainous appearance on screen since Hannibal Lecter.

"Ledger has upped the ante for much loved and revered Hollywood villains, and whether or not he wins an Academy Award, his performance will be forever remembered in celluloid history."

The Sun went on to say there were eerie moments in the film, "like when The Joker talks about death, particularly the image of this clown faced actor wielding a gun and pointing it at himself".

This was the last film Ledger completed before his death in January. He was part-way through filming Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus when he died.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I still don't know whether or not if Ledger gets the Oscar if it truly is for his performance or because he commit suicide

3. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Ok, I am just putting this out there, why would we or should I say the
    academy put anybody up for an oscar who took their own life isn't that like praising him for his own stupidity? As well as he is DEAD he can't appreciate it any way . Also, if he was as truly as good of an actor as people think isn't the real tragedy here the fact that he went to soon in life with so much to live for? I think he was just another example of someone being to emo and not seeking help. Again why give out an oscar for being stupid? :tdown:

4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Just from the previews, Heath Ledger looks to have done a great job as the Joker. It may be an Oscar worthy performance. We'll have to wait for the film to find out. If the performace is worthy, I have no problem with him getting an Oscar.

5. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155

I think an Oscar should only be given based on the performance. If it is Oscar worthy give it to him, if not don't.

He being dead should be no factor in the decision.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    ITA.:tup:

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    He did NOT commit suicide.

He died from an accidental overdose of sleeping pills.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    disagree but whatever floats your boat

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Read this:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/06/heath.ledger/index.html

IMO, he just mixed the wrong pills together.

:icon_shrug:

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The crux of the biscuit. If his acting warrants the award, he deserves it.

11. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    If his acting warrants it..... okay, but not out of sympathy. But historically speaking the academy has never given out a oscar for any of the actors or actresses in any of the batman movies so why would they start now? Unless they do it out of sympathy. I still think Jack N. was the best on screen joker and he never got one either.:icon_huh: