1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Give it a Chance

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by tboltzcali, Feb 19, 2007.

1. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Its going to be interesting having a coach that doesnt run run run run pass run run pass. Lets give it a chance and maybe it works. I didnt like the fact that they were cosidering Norv. I wanted Ryan as HC, but if you think about it, having a offensive mind here will help this offense move and maybe we score more points.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    thank you! SomEONE GETS IT!

3. Flowsomuch

Flowsomuch BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, but the Chargers scoring points isn't the problem.

Marty > Norv.

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    So does this mean Norv is the new OC. And token head coach. And does shelmon go back to running backs coach. I'm fine with Norv as just the OC of the chargers.

I'm more worried about cottrell as DC. I've read mixed reviews of his career. Hope a year off has made him better.

5. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I'm done *****ing. What's done is done. Now I am a Norv Turner backer and fan. Let's get behind this guy and root for our team.

:limp_wristed_clap:

• Like Like x 1
  6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    tboltz I totally appreciate the sentiment so on that note I'll think of something positive to say...

I must give Norv a little credit... in 1999 he took a dysfunctional, but overly talented redskins team to the playoffs (and they actually won a playoff game).

I can not recall specific incidences of Norv making truely dreadful gametime decisions (though his lack of enthusiasm on the sidelines makes me want to hook a car battery up to his sac).

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Score more points? Didn't they lead the NFL at that last year?

I'd give anything a chance, i'm too much of a fan not to, but I don't like the hire at all.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I thought Turner has already had his chances in the HC position?

He was terrible.

I just cannot explain why AJ of all people would hire a career loser as a HC.

I thought performance over a period of time was important to him.

Apparently not with his first HC hiring.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    We have no choice but to support this decision. But I have a couple of questions.

1. Is Shelmon out, and will Norv be calling the plays on offense?
    2. Does AJ's man love for Ted Cotrell run so deep that he would hire Norv above a Rex Ryan?

I pray that Norv will be the one to take us to our 1st Championship, and that he gets the same respect from our players that Marty did.

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Not that I'm agreeing with the hire BUT...

Turner did work for two of the WORST and most meddlesome owners in all of sports: Dan Snyder and Uncle Al Davis.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928

1. Shelton will probably be retained but he's not going to be calling as much fo the plays as he would've if a Rex Ryan was hired
    2. I doubt that personally. I have nothing to back that up and I wanted Rex Ryan very badly to be our HC but I've nothing to prove what you said.

12. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Hay at least we know we won't be getting flagged for 15 yards for a coach marching halfway from the sideline to the center of the field screaming at the very best officiating crew in the game at a crucial 'juncture' in a playoff game :icon_shrug:

13. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    We led the NFL in scoring but we obviously didnt outscore the Pats in the playoffs. Hopefully this will change this year.

14. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I realize that but didn't Norv do the impossible....

He actually made the Raiders worse as time went on?

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    You have to make the playoffs before you can score in them.

Hopefully Norv can take the Chargers there.

16. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    When was the last time norv was in charge of a great offense? 1993?

When he was with the redskins, only once did they have a good offense. When he came here, our offense was very average and he ran LT into a wall all season long. He then went to miami where once again he did nothing but run Ricky Williams into the ground. He then goes to the raiders, what did he do there again? And last year the 49ers offense was very average and all he did was run gore all day long

So if you dont expect Run-Run-Run, youre crazy

17. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I look at it like this: If we had hired Norv as HC after we got rid of Riley we wouldn't have been all that disappointed. Norv's rep as a bad HC was solidified by two bad seasons with the Raiders, but can we all at least agree that no head-coach would have won with the sorry cast of geritol-swilling has-beens that Norv inherited there?

Take away Norv's two seasons with the Turds, and take away his first two season rebuilding in Washington, and he's 4 games above .500 as a HC. I know that's not exactly awe-inspiring, but when you look at the talent on those Redskins teams--especially the lack of defense--it's not all that bad.

He has the talent here so maybe he can get it done. I'm like TK--I'm done complaining. It does no good to ***** about it now. I'm definitely a BIG Norv-backer from this day and into the indefinite future.

18. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Hmm last I checked Clarence Shelmon is our OC :icon_shrug: I guess Shelmon will just sit in the locker room while the game is going on, cash his paychecks and let Norv do all the work for him

19. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    When was the last time he had really good talent on offense? (And please don't say with the '05 Raiders. In hind-sight that might be the most overrated cast of skill-players in the history of sports.)

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Marty was fired for trying to hire his boys. Now, it seems AJ has done the same. Disappointed would be understating how negatively I feel about this move. But I think AJ has done enough to earn the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully, AJ proves us all wrong again.

21. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Proves you wrong :yes:

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Yup, I have to agree as i settle into the wait and see patern.

23. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Since we're in 'rebuilding' process with Norv as head coach, we might as well lock up Turner and trade LT :kisskiss:

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    At least AJ's boy (Cotrell) is more qualified.

25. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Some positives on Turner coming here. He has as good if not better an offense to work with than he did during his Dallas days. Plus he won't have a mummified owner like Al Davis breathing down his neck, asking him to doing this with the offense (ie. vertical passing game all the time) that they can't do. I can see our offense taking it up a notch with Norv.

Defense is where the question marks lie. Will they continue to blossom under Ted Cotrell's 3-4 defense. Finally, the last positive is that we won't have to hear that the GM and HC hating on each other every week.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I feel liek we all need to stand in a circle holding hands singing...

"All we are sayyyyyyyy ing, is give this coaching staff a chance..."

I am a bit gloomy thinking of the staff we ended the season with and this one. But they need to be given the benifit of the doubt. But if they cant win the west, and make it deep in the playoffs with this team, then as EC would say, phuq em!

27. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Come on gays lets not forget we are going to have 5 day one picks in the draft this year probably, if not 6. We really deserve two 3rd round comp picks for the Breezer and then a 1st for MT? 112333 AJ will get at least 3 pro bowlers in there :abq2:

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    And we have a coach to lead them that has one post season appearance for 9 seasons of head coaching to show for it.

Sorry, not uber enthusiastic at this moment. Sorry.

AJ got rid of his "Caoching Roadblock" and got his guys. So if we dont make the playoffs next season, AJ and his boys need to be shown the door.

29. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    AJ deserves 2 seasons to prove himself now that all his guys are in place but I will tell you that in the upcoming press conference you will hear Spanos drooling over Turner's nutsack. This was as much Spanos' decision as it was AJ's.