1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Give up a 2nd for Jacob Hester??? Huh?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Enormo, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Chargers move up to the third round to pick up Jacob Hester. Give up a second round next year.

Does anyone get this???

2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    Hester is going to do a lot for us.

#1 Special teams lunatic
    #2 Great north-south backup runner
    #3 Excellent receiver out of the backfield who can do some damage on flats, screens.
    #4 Great goal-line running ability
    #5 Will give confidence in Norv to go for it on 4th and short situations.
    #6 Can line up at multiple positions and cause matchup problems
    #7 Can help in max protection backfield

I like the pick.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    It was actually a 2 and a 5 in 09...to the Cheating Patriots of all teams, could they hand them instead to Miami who will choose another stiff college QB like Chad Henne.

Chad Henne or Chris Chambers...who would you rather have????

Stan :rivers17:

Note - UPDATE. The scroll for the NFL Network reported the Chargers gave up 2 and 5th round picks in 09 for Hester, that is wrong the 5th round pick is this years no. 5 = no. 160.

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    If the player is who you really want then you try and get him. And thats what the chargers did. It is a bit upsetting that it was to the pats for 2nd rounder though. He'll be our number 2 back for a couple years.

Just need a good backup o-tackle now to seal the deal for this year.

5. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

Yeah I though about him being more like Moose Johnston but smaller!

6. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21

Like any move or pick in the draft, it will take time to evaluate and grade the move.

Given AJ's track record of great picks, I will give him a flyer and wait and see.

7. Helmutt

Helmutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PRJczt7YZF4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PRJczt7YZF4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Remind you of anyone?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

Exactly, It's not like this is [I can't believe we have to remind people still to this day!] NOT Bobby Beathard making the selections, AJ is not perfect, he will make some picks that don't work out, but not for lack of research on the player and preparation.

Speaking of which, I noticed 2 traits on both Cason and Hester that seem to be typical of AJ players...of course not every single one but most.

Character and Production.

More often than not these are huge traits that AJ is constantly bringing to the team. Talent, hey he gambled on Cromartie and we all know he started a handful of games only his soph year. With the right player he will take a gamble but for the most part AJ does his due diligence.

As for the draft picks the 2nd rounder if all goes according to plan next year will be the 64th pick overall. Get it.

Hester was the 69th pick this year. AJ threw in a no. 5. We have right now 2 additional 4th rounders because of Florence and Turner that depending on how Turner and Florence shine in the 08 season could be upgraded to 3rd rounders by the NFL, sure they are the compensatory variety but hey they are 3rd rounders. coupled with our own. And who knows we could be trading out of round no. 1 next year and get a 2nd and a 3rd.

AJ is open to anything. Besides 09 is too far away to contemplate.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    A SECOND ROUNDER NEXT YEAR AGAIN?
    Come on AJ wtf?

10. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    yah I get it, there couldn't have been a more perfect pick for our offense and a 2nd round next year? who cares we will be at the bottom of the 1st round and will try to trade out into the 2nd and 3rd like this year a 2nd round pick for a team like ours is like a 3rd round pick cause we will be way down on the draft, hopefully #32!!!

11. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    2nd round next year is the equivalent of a 3rd rounder this year.

Chargers get 6th pick in the 3rd (69) - 245 points

Patriots get 25th pick in the 5th (160) - 28.4 points
    2nd rounder next year (let's project with Chargers' current position this year, and value it a round less since it is next year or the 27th pick in the 3rd round) - 136 points

It would seem based on the draft chart that the Chargers got GREAT value... i know that AJ says he doesn't use the chart, but to ease minds of some of the people that think we gave up too much, I beg to differ. Even the 27th pick of the 2nd round would be 310 points on the draft chart. Not really that much difference between 27th pick of the 2nd and the 6th pick in the 3rd that we got this year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Great post. People crying about it have never watched him play, and aren't taking into consideration what the actual compensation was.
    This kid is the perfect compliment to our RB stable. :abq2:

13. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    Jacob Hester Is A SOLID RB....

Personally...I Like This Pick ALot....He's Definitely A Good Replacement For Michael Turner.....AJ Knows What He's Doin....

:cool:

14. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38
    Side note.

NFL Net just annouced that the raider just traded away Fabian Washington to Baltimore for a 4th rounder. Looks like Al is admiting he made another draft mistake. Washington was a former 1st round pick. Hehehe Hahaha!

Michael Huff is next.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    I just question the intelligence in trading our second rounder next year for him, that's all. especially for a backup running back when there will be and are some good ones on hte market

16. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Until AJ strings together unsuccessful drafts, and the Chargers as an organization spiral downwards, I think he has earned the benefit of the doubt. The Chargers pride themselves on building through the draft and that philosophy has not changed.

17. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    I agree w/ Ant in that I hate giving up high round picks for the next year it brings back too many bad memories. I do however have faith in AJ and will try not to stress myself out about it

18. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Guys, we are going to be picking around 30ish next year. That makes our second around 60ish+. We picked him at 69. That's pretty close to a wash imho.

Are you all THAT upset about losing a 5th rounder for a player that is going to be an intregal part of our offense for years to come? Remember too that we get compensatory picks next year for Turner and Florence. AJ knows what he's doing. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

19. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I love this pick! I can't wait to watch that stupid *** pass to the fullback actually work...

20. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Hester is a WARRIOR. :yes: He makes everyone around him better.

Yeah it sucks giving up a high draft pick next year in order to get a high pick this year. :lol: Just like Loweezy mentioned, we gave up a pick that will be most likely at the bottom of the 2nd round to get a pick at the top of the 3rd round. Our 2nd round pick next year should be in the 56-64 range and we took Hester with the 69th pick. We get him on the roster for the entire 2008 season. Toss in a 5th to get it done. I'm great with that. Throw in the fact that we should get two quality picks as compensation for Florence and Turner, the 2009 draft looks like one 1st rounder and potentially three 3rd rounders. So even without a 2nd rounder we will be plenty busy.

Top needs this draft:
    Depth in the secondary- Check
    Depth behind LT- Check
    Offensive line help - 5th, 6th, or 7th
    Defensive line help - 5th, 6th, or 7th

To answer Ant's question, if LT were to go down I would be more than comfortable with Hester, Sproles, and Pinnock.

21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,648
    I don't even see it as a question of it (god forbid) LT goes down, I just see it as handing to our big rivals a second next year for a guy that probably would've been there down at 5th round and if not there are still running backs both on (Alexander, Jones) and soon to be (Rhodes, Lamont Jordan) on the market that could fit the bill better

22. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Yes, I do. AJ and Nix got their man. Nobody should question AJ and Nix after what they've done for the past few years. You'll see why Hester was picked. Remember AJ, Nix and his scouts have SO much more info than we do. Just look at all the late round picks that are still on our roster. I don't question AJ, I just sit back, relax and smile. :)

23. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    EC, you mean picking 32nd next year right? :yes:

[​IMG]

24. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    You can't move up for free. We had three needs-O Line depth (#1 for me), new corner and back up RB. So far we have two out of three and good players for each. Draft choices are for filling holes. In truth, we don't actually have any at the moment, just potential ones. AJ has put himself in a position to use the second day for nothing but O Linemen.

25. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Ant doesn't like the move. It's official. It's a great pick. :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  26. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    To trade up that high in the 3rd of course we had to give up a future 2nd. You may not agree with who we picked there but the trade up was good value.

As far as trading to the Pats, um who cares? We're improving ourselves and that's what matters. You can also look at it as us taking away a pick from the Pats this season and preventing them from improving this season. It really just depends on how you want to look at it. It's not like we traded next year's draft for him.

27. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,648
    ha ha ha :trout: :trout: :trout:

28. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    I watched LSU a few times this past season. Dude is a football player.

Love the pick. :abq2:

Peeps *****ed and whined about the Weddle trade up costing too much, but when you do the draft geek math, it was not that big a diff and Weddle paid huge dividends last year.

The math in this one works out as well.

I see this guy more as a RB backup instead of LoNeal clone. We have Pinnok for that role.

"We draft football players". --AJ Smith

29. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Money in the bank. :tup:

:icon_tease:

30. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word