1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Glasstillo is back!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Apr 4, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Per acee

2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Terms? He's an average player when he's healthy. Maybe playing him something like 300 snaps over the season will make him suck/break less often.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Apparently $1m, which couold give him another $1m bonus based on playing time.

I was kinda sad when we cut him to be honest, but I understodd the financial situation and that saving money was important, so to now be able to re-up him at only $1m I feel great about this.

I feel like our D missed him last year, and we just got an important part of it back. This should help the whole line.

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    1 mil for a player of his caliber is a steal if he stays healthy. He's not a playmaker, and he's not elite by any stretch, but as a low-cost member of a rotation he's definitely going to be better than anyone else we could've gotten for depth, except for Tommie Harris, but he isn't likely to be playing ball this season, or ever.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Considering the backup to Liuget is an old Cesaire, bringing back Castillo at the minimum makes sense.

Frankly, as bad as Liuget was, splitting time with Castillo wouldn't be the worst thing.

6. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276

Our "D" was missing a lot last year. Maybe it was all because Castillo got hurt in game #1... but I don't think so! I think it suffered from "Bad Drafitis"... the same stuff we've been suffering from for the past three seasons!

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Our D was missing depth. This move helps us get Castillo playing for a price that matches his average, but not awful production. He never became an impact player, but at this price we should be elated to get 300 quality snaps from him.

8. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    wtf? the dude is an injury waiting to happen? God, it must be nice to get paid to do nothing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    if he gets injured he'll get injured while earning vet minimum, and probably won't be expected to make a major contribution in terms of snaps. It's not like in the past where we had something rediculous like 7-8 mil tied up in this dude and we're hamstrung on defense because our primary DE was gone. His injury last season allowed Liuget and VM to get a lot of quality snaps. I was stoked when he was injured, it was good for the team in the long-run.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    How often has he not been healthy? Have you looked at the actuall #s?

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Only 2 years has he played all 16 regular season games....... he's had a few injury issues. Even when he's played, he's been at less then full strength a number of times. Not Buster or English kind of injury problems, but he's had his share all the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Few player have played a full 16 game season. What percentage did he miss?

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    For a million bucks, it's a solid move. Provides some depth at the position for basically nothing

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Last year?.......... about 90%. ;)

In 7 seasons, he's missed 30, out of a possible total of 112 regular season games.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Which is what 26%? And that took missing a whole season with a broken leg to achieve.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    If you say so......... math was never my strong suit. ;)

17. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    I know, right? Because football players only work one day a week and only during the regular season.

18. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    Lol at saying Castillo is an injury waiting to happen. He was healthy for all of the last 2 years before this injury, and a freak leg break and all the sudden he's "glasstillo" again. Bones Grow back stronger than they were before, this wont be an issue and when healthy, Castillo is a solid starter in this league. He's in a perfect situation with us...

19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    It's ~26.8%. I can't find his snaps played stats anywhere. He played in 3/4 of all games since his rookie year, but I know he's spent a significant amount of time on the sideline during a lot of games in which he has played as well. I think 2010 was his best year in terms of snapcount (900 something).

Anyway, the main issue that most people had with Castillo wasn't that he didn't play enough since getting his extension, but that he has been a very average player since 2006. He's a good starter, but wholly unspectacular player, and you usually expect for something more than that when you draft a guy in the 1st and then give him a 40 million dollar extension.

Also, I think it's fair to talk about a player who misses 26% of their games due to injury. We're talking about Gates's injury situation and in his career he's played in 91.67% of all possible games.

20. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Pffffft !!! :tdown:

Well, at least it sells a few more season tickets, so that should keep the brass happy. :rolleyes:

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So you are comparing a lineman to a Tight End? OK. Further go look at how many snaps ANY lineman plays in a game. They do not play all the snaps. The point I am making is people have been calling Castillo Glasstillo since he got here. If people want to lemming up and follow along, so be it. However we have other non-talked about players who have spent more time on the bench.

Also to act like getting a broken leg in the trenches of the line is some sort of weakness is just plain stupidity. Along the same lines of suggesting that a tight end and a lineman have the same wear and tear. But hey, if it make you happy roll with it.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Actually I like this move, with a real QB outside rushing threat it should help improve the D-line and Castillo will be there to help out. Now just to find that guy and please no more Merriman's.

23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I believe the "Glasstillo" moniker picked up Steam after/during the 2007 season, when for the 2nd year in a row he missed 6 games, and parts of a few more. The label wasn't really helped by his missing part of the next 2 seasons as well. I never suggested that a tight end and a lineman have the same wear and tear, ever. We do indeed have other non-talked about players who have spent more time on the bench, but I don't believe that any of them had a 40 million dollar contract, now did they?

I love your contrarianism. It fills me up with sunshine and bliss.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  24. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Castillo is never gonna be a spark plug for the defense. He is never gonna get to the passer often. But, the dude regularly eats up two blocks and holds his edge. He make it easier on Garay and Thomas in the middle, he makes it easier on Shaun and Barnes on the sides. Garay missed this dude last year. We are much better with him then without him. For 1 million, its a steal. Also means it will be harder for AJ to reach on a DE in the first and he can go with the best OLB\O-Lineman available.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
  26. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    For a million dollars, it is a good calculated risk. Also, I am fine giving him the bonus if he plays well during the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I'd bet that doesn't include the times he left in the middle of the game either. Thats another 5 or 6 games at least that he didn't complete.

I'm fine with the signing though, Castillo is a vet, he came cheap, and I assume his snaps will be cut down. He's a solid player when healthy.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Glad I can brighten your day.

29. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Castillo has earned the moniker at this point. Besides missing out on games, what really did him in are the games he played through injuries. Those injuries, even if they didn't take him off the field for long, limited his play and impact.

I like the guy, and I definitely like the deal he has now. I'm glad he's back on the team. But he's never lived up to his potential and IMO that's mostly been due to nagging injuries. Like M80, he has either bad luck or just isn't as durable as other players. Which is a shame but it is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Is that you, AJ? ;)