1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

GM doesn't expect much in free agency

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    February 28, 2007 <!--- BODYTEXT --->Possessing a stocked and talented roster, needing only to fill a few holes and pad his depth chart, and always a knee-deep swimmer in free-agency waters anyway, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith plans on being mostly a spectator this weekend.

He uses terms such as “reactionary” when assessing how he will proceed in the free-agency period that opens at 9 p.m. (PST) tomorrow.

“I've got to wait and see what's out there,” Smith said.
    The reality is he knows what is out there but is waiting to see which players sign in the opening days. He also must see whether guard Kris Dielman and/or backup linebacker Carlos Polk leave. Both are expected to field offers from other teams.
    There remains the possibility the Chargers make one more run at Dielman. However, the sides have not spoken in two months, and it does not look promising. Smith does not think the other guards available are as good as Dielman, so it is unlikely he will pay big money for a player such as the Bengals' Eric Steinbach.
    Regardless of what happens with Dielman, Smith is almost certainly going to sign an offensive lineman or two for depth.
    The other starting spot at which the Chargers have a hole is strong safety, as Terrence Kiel will be released following his off-the-field problems in 2006. But it is more likely the Chargers draft a safety and also give Bhawoh Jue and Clinton Hart a shot at replacing Kiel.
    Should Polk depart via free agency, fans would mostly yawn. Not Smith.
    “To me it would be huge,” Smith said. “I hope it will work out.”
    After Polk missed the 2004 and '05 seasons with injuries, the Chargers re-signed him before last season and Smith said recently that “was one of the most enjoyable moves I've ever made.”
    Smith appreciates Polk for his competitiveness, hard hits on special teams and ability to fill in at linebacker, as he did last season when Shawne Merriman was suspended.
    On to Dallas

Secondary coach Brian Stewart has finally been released from his contract and is set to become the Dallas Cowboys' defensive coordinator.

After working out defensive backs at the Combine yesterday, dressed in Chargers gear, Stewart was told by head coach Norv Turner he was being let go. Stewart had asked out of his contract in order to work under new Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips. Stewart, the Chargers' secondary coach the past three seasons, is being replaced by Bill Bradley and Kevin Ross.Mailers

The Chargers will send out letters today notifying about 10 season-ticket account holders they have had their accounts canceled for repeatedly running afoul of security and/or other fans.

“We're not going to put up with the behavior,” Chargers Chief Operating Officer Jim Steeg said.
    While that is likely good news to the majority of fans, another letter, sent last week, was not so well received by some fans.
    That notice told fans the team has done away with the lower field obstructed view designation for the seats in the first eight rows behind the bench, making the price of those seats uniform with the rest of the lower bowl ($81), up from the previous price of $40.
    Two-way street

Linebacker Shaun Phillips' new contract illustrates how the Chargers have gotten so many young players locked up long-term.

Phillips received a $7 million signing bonus and is due a $3 million roster bonus this month. His salary for 2007 is $1 million. He gets another roster bonus of $3 million next offseason and an '08 salary of $2.4 million.
    Including the $100,000 workout bonus he gets each offseason, that's a virtually guaranteed $16.6 million in his first two years, an immense amount for a player who has been a starter for just one season. On the other hand, should Phillips continue to perform as he did in 2005 and '06, his contract would be a bargain for the Chargers.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070228-9999-1s28chargers.html

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I was hoping that he signs one wide receiver, and or one safety, and or one O-lineman in free agency...:tup:

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    No big surprise there. Except I don't understand why AJ is so high on C. Polk. I know he contributes on special teams, but I'm defiantly amongst the fans that will yawn if he walks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Fan favorite
    Good special teams player
    fills in ok in a pinch

good backup

we're all pretty well aware that AJ doesn't do much in FA but I imagine he'd sign 2-3 players or so, mostly depth

5. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    There is really only 3 guys I want:

A.Thomas
    L.Briggs
    N.Clements

But I know AJ won't sign them

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I never thought AJ was going to dive head first into FA, so there is no surprise there. I will be surprised if he re-signs Dielman though, They haven't talked for 2 months?????.:bolt2:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Look for Derrick Dockery, Ken Hamlin, Kevin Kaeshvarian and Jordan Babineaux to be among the targets

8. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Any targets for LB? I know J Porter might be gone in Pitt.

9. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Thomas will cost way too much it is said he is wanting like 18 million in signing bonus, Kaesvaharn is a scrub we wont go there, Hamlin is old we wont go there! If we want someone with experience we will have to spend alot of money, I personally would like nate clements but his asking price will be high....Plus we never really make a big splash in FA anyway! We usually are making trades to cut payroll, like the Sammy Davis trade and we cut Woods a week later!

10. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

Is Babineaux the guy that just killed his girlfriend's dog?

11. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I hope we can grab a LB in FA.

12. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Old? He's 26 or 27.

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Hearing someone thinking 26 is old makes me at 23 feel old :no: :no: :tdown: :tdown:

14. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Porter would be a back up here and I can't see him and his ego accepting that.:no:

15. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715

Hell how do you think it makes those of us who are 40 feel.:icon_evil: