1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

GM for a day

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Cheapseats, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    The Chargers have a lot of decisions to make in the next few weeks that will affect the franchise for years to come...not to mention lining up for another playoff run.

If you were the GM, how would you handle free agency and the draft? Who gets paid? Who gets traded? Who gets picked up and who gets cut? (just players...not coaches, save that for another thread please)

Let's work on the assumption that LT will be released, not traded. It is probably going to be an "uncapped year" which should make it a little easier to re-sign some of our players.

Have at it people! Let's see what the Bolt Talk Front Office comes up with

2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Vincent Jackson must be re signed at all costs, ALL COSTS.
    Cro needs to be released or traded. Most believe he's worth trading if we give up a second rounder with him. In which case, getting a proven back-up running back sounds like a good option. Tashard Choice would be on top of that list.
    Merriman hasn't proven himself yet to me. He may lead the team in pressures but that is not enough IMO to justify making him a highly paid defensive superstar. Let's face it: that is going to be one hell of a contract.
    Who else is up? Is McNeil? I would think he won't take much to keep and he's a great part of the rotation along the offensive line.
    Draft a RB, draft a good RB. I wanted LeSean McCoy last year and I think there's a few options like that in this year's draft with Dwyer, Mathews, and C.J. Spiller.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Tag Vincent Jackson at the highest level possible and try to work out a long term deal
    Tag Malcolm Floyd with a first round RFA tag - if someone wants to trade a first for him, let them
    Tag Sproles w/Second Rounder - he's wildly talented but I think we could gain something by moving him
    Tag McNeil and Merriman first rounder, try working out long term deals. More likely with the former then the latter. Hopefully though we can get something good
    Trade Cromartie ideally for a second to whomever will take him. Gotta get rid of him
    Work on a long term deal with Antonio Cromartie

A good running back should be a priority but baring that find someone who can be a hard nosed runner like a Chuck Muncie or a Natrone Means. Ironically drafting a slasher + Chester Taylor + Mike Tolbert would suffice to give us a bruising running back combo

4. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    VJack needs to be signed long term, he may be the best WR in football.

Floyd also needs to be signed, I like his hands and he gets the job done, great focus on the long ball.

McNeil needs to be signed long term, I have toyed with the idea of moving him to RT over the last 2 years so I wouldn't break the bank here but we need him for now.

At RB, I would start over, Let LT walk, and I think Sproles is our best trade bait plus his agent wants him to go for big money, AJ will balk at that, he did last year and there is no way we will pay him $7.2 mill to stay if we tag him. So we need atleast 2 backs either from the draft or maybe we could get one in a trade.

If the doctors and the FO think Williams has something left then I bring him back. From what I hear he does and I think he can be very valuable in a more limited role which fits in nicely with the rest of the developing players we have on the D-Line.

I would bring back Merriman on a one year deal, he needs to show that he has returned to form. Otherwise it could go either way and AJ does not take risks with key parts of this team EVER. We coud sign him long term now for less and he could fail to return to form or we could wait make sure he is back and it will cost more. We need a dominate OLB for this defense, IT IS A MUST. Plus we get another year to look at English.

A far as Cro goes, I doubt we could get much in return. I would either draft a CB to start which means a first rounder or close, or bring in a vet CB. I would move Cro to nickle where he did much better earlier in his career and his lack of being able to get physical will be less of a problem.

5. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    1. Re-sign Jackson, Sproles, Merriman... well everyone exept Cro.
    2. Trade Cro's *** for a bag of chips or whatever we can get for him. Hopefully a 2nd rounder.
    3. Draft Ryan Matthews, Terrance Cody, Myron Rolle, and LeGarrette Blount. Draft some more really big boys in the later rounds.
    4. If there's no cap, keep LT as a backup for his final season.
    5. Sign Julius Peppers and find the biggest, baddest fullback in the NFL to block for us.
    6. Give the City of San Diego an ultimatum to either get a stadium deal done soon or have the Chargers move to Los Angeles Stadium when it opens for the 2013 season.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Re-sign: Jackson.
    Re-sign: McNeil.
    Re-sign: Floyd.
    Try to re-sign Sproles for a reasonable deal.
    Trade: Merriman to Cardinals for 1st round pick.
    Trade: Cromartie to Lions for 2nd round pick.
    Draft: 1st round - Dan Williams and Ryan Mathews.
    Draft: 2nd round- Patrick Robinson and Jason Worilds
    Draft: 3rd round- Jared Veldheer
    Draft: ......best players AJ can find from here.

Only issue I have is what the hell we're going to do with Sproles. If he wants too much money I can see us attempting to trade him too, but an all rookie backfield gives me concern. If we do trade him it shuffles my draft board too.

7. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Here are a few problems with some of the proposals. Without a new CBA, we won't be able to sign any FAs unless we lose FAs of equal or greater value so you can scratch Julius Peppers off the list right away.

Then there's Sproles, if we tag him with the RFA tag we're still paying him big bucks ($7 mil?), so I'm not sure that's a likely solution. It may be all (extension) or nothing (let him go) with Sproles.

As far as the rest:
    Re-sign Jackson, McNeil, Floyd and try to convince Osgood to stay. If we aren't able to agree to extensions to the 1st 3 then tender then with the highest tender.

Tender Merriman with a 1st round tender, doubt anyone will offer a 1st if they do that's fine, if not Merriman gets a chance to prove himself.

Look into trading Cromartie, unlike a lot of people I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 2nd or a quality player (RB).

I'd also look into trading Phillips and possibly Cooper, at least I'd put them on the market and see what kind of offers I get. If there's anything enticing I take it.

As far as the draft, depends on the trades and FA, but I'd go Oline, Dline, ILB and RB. RB in the 1st only if we can't hang onto Sproles. If we can I'd wait until the 2nd or 3rd, possibly later if no one good is available (wouldn't reach for one).

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    1) Cut Kaeding.
    2) Get a kicker.
    3) Sign VJ.
    4) Trade Merriman.
    5) Trade Cro.
    6) Thanks LT but bye.
    7) Sign Sproles.
    8) Pick up a RB FA, trade, or Draft.