1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

GM Strategies

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, May 15, 2009.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...The one thing I've noticed about AJ, that at times infuriates me, is his inability to get much in return for some of the big name free agents that he deems not finanicially sound investments. He just lets them walk and settles for compensatory picks. With all these decisions coming up involving Merriman, Gates, Cro, etc...I sure hope he at least considers inviting some trade talk, if any of them are not in his long-term plans. There will be many suitors, willing to deal some quality picks, if he's unable to sign or chooses not to sign some of these guys. Maybe he's just hard to barter with..who knows? I just wish he'd get something decent in return for a change :icon_shrug:

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    AJ does invite trade talks. He did with Brees, Turner, just about everyone. There are many reasons he may not pull the trigger on a trade.

The compensation isnt where he wants it to be.
    The player offered isnt in a position he wants.
    The contract of the other player is too big.
    The picks offered isnt what he wants..

There can be a lot of things. I read somewhere that one of the offers for MT had an exchange of picks. So we give the team MT, get a pick and swap another?

So far AJ has taken good care of the Chargers. I think that teams are cautious of dealing with AJ because he will get the best deal for the Chargers... GMs dont want to have egg on their faces after an AJ deal. Thats my opinion...

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I've been pissed too that we seem to get little for guys that have become superstars as Chargers.

However, overall, I think AJ has done a great job. I'll take the perennial playoff spot over a few nice trades though, anyday.

4. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Fair enough but in my opinion he shut down trade talks concerning Turner, far too early. Green Bay wanted him badly, finally settling on drafting Brandon Jackson from Nebraska and later trading with the Giants for Ryan Grant. He actually pulled Turner off the table the day before the draft. Why not wait until teams go into panic mode on draft day :icon_shrug: That's the reason why the Eagles and Patriots clean up at other teams expenses. AJ himself got caught up in the draft day panic when he gave up too much for Hester.

I agree with you that AJ, for the most part, has taken good care of the Bolts. There does seem to be a subborness in some cases though, that has come back to bite him. What do you think most teams would give Atlanta for Turner right about now?

5. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I know what you mean, but one thing you have to keep in mind is that not only do we get the comp pick, but we also get one more year of service from that player. And while we didn't end up using Turner all that much his last year here, if LT had gotten hurt two years ago like he did last year, I don't think anyone would complain about keeping Turner around.

That said, AJ reminds me of a very tight conservative poker player. He will limp into a hand when he has to, not push anything and then go huge when the flop turns in his favor (think Rivers/Eli, Chambers, Keenan McCardel)

I really do think that (at least in the case of Merriman) he is waiting to see what happens with the CBA. If it doesn't get extended AJ will have a ton of leverage in getting a long term deal done. If the CBA does get extended, he will have the option of franchising Merriman.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    totally agree. Especially when we see the NE's & Philly's stock up on draft picks via trades

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I hear what you're saying, and AJ has made some mistakes in his tenure as GM for us, but all you have to do (if you're old enough) is go back to the Bobby Betheard days and you'll realize AJ has done a remarkable job all things considered. We can talk all day about his f'ups, but he's done more positive things for this organization than any Charger GM before him imo.

8. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    somthing that isn't always recognized by us is the financial ramifications of trading for more. AJ let's people like Turner walk in part because he'll go from a low paid player (1st contract) to trading for a known name who's cost will be higher and thus the impact to the salary cap is higher and f's up his plan of jack'in the cash within.

9. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I'm not 100% sure of what you're saying here, but if you're saying that the contract from a well-known player is higher and that might be the reason why he hasn't done that, well then he doesn't have to trade for a player. I'm willing to bet he could have gotten more than a 4th rounder for MT.

10. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    i'm not a 100% sure either.
    i just think there is a lot of financial calculus that goes on behind the scenes. maybe they don't want to have to pay a higher draft 'cause they think they can get a similar caliber player in the lower rounds.

11. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    A lot of these guys are in the final year of their contract, so we don't have a lot of leverage and the other teams will wait until a player is released and then work a deal. The other thing that plays into the situation is that we have groomed a lot of talent to provide depth and we don't have a lot of people to use as trade bait. (...and the ones we do have, nobody else wants either!) It would be cool to have a ton of draft picks, but the truth is very few would capture a roster spot.

AJ also doesn't go for the Dan Snyder philosophy...throwing a wheelbarrow of cash at a "big name" free agent who is just going to take up space and breathe our air (..think Marcellus Wiley, aka "dat dud" and David Boston...there's a lot of money down the toilet!) Our talent evaluators are among the best in the league and we build through the draft, with AJ picking up the occasional under valued second stringer at a bargain price to fill a specific need...like Burnett for example.

We have a lot of potentially huge contracts coming up over the next 12 months and I expect the front office will be able to re-sign most of them.

I will withhold judgement on Hester for another two seasons, either he will pan out for us and make AJ look like a genius..or he will be selling meat out of the back of a truck or something and people will be calling it a "bonehead pick". Unlike the Bobby Beathard years, our "Stud to Dud" ratio has been pretty good since AJ took over for Butler.

Bottom line: Bring home a Lombardi trophy or two and all is forgiven!

Go Chargers!!!
    :flag:

12. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Good analysis mate :tup:
    I look at the difference betweenthe Bolts and the PAds and see different philosophies.
    The Pads don't do drafting well and as a result dredge the bins for castoffs - something they've been relatively successful with over the years.
    AJ's is the draft model which is also relatively successful and seems to offer the best chance of sustainability and winning it all.
    Extemely simplistic analysis of a complex subject, but I like the cut of AJ's gib and am prepared to back his judgement (until we lose a couple on the trot next season anyway!!!)

13. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Actually I go back far before Beathard...try Conrad Hilton. Again, all I'm saying is that AJ could have and still can, in the future, get more for prized upcoming free agents than just settling for compensatory draft picks. Green Bay offered at least a first but the Burner's free-agent tender was two firsts. No one is going to touch that but AJ could have taken the first and whatever else the Packers were dangling. If nothing else, why get stubborn and pull him off the table the night before the draft. He could have been open to trades throughout the draft and made his decision based on how the draft unfolded. We've all seen the panic and draft day desparation moves by teams. Why not try and cash in on that for a change. I've seen two pro bowl players (Brees and Turner) garner a third and a fourth in compensatory picks. In ridiculous contrast, trading Hershel Walker completely rebuilt the Cowboys. Nothing that idiotic would likely transpire again obviously but where would those 1990's Cowboys have been without that trade?

I'm not judging AJ's overall performance as a GM, especially compared to a dunce like Bobby Beathard. He's done a nice job overall but AJ himself has been questioning his performance...so it has at least some flaws. As for the f'ups as you put it...aren't we supposed to learn from our mistakes or f'ups?

14. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    The GM has not been born that hasn't made mistakes. If it was easy anyone could do it and every team would finish 8-8.
    I believe that he made the 2 decisions you mention based on good enough logic.
    Turner was insurance for a Superbowl bid. If it had panned out, no-one would complain. If he'd traded him before the season started and LT had got injured in week 1 then AJ would have been chased out of town.
    The real question is whether MT should have been made the "man" and LT traded - again, who the hell would have advocated that?!

Brees could have been handled slightly differently - but essentially, Rivers was AJ's man (he's been proved right) and that was no secret. Other than a messy situation, I don't see how the Chargers could have handled it differently.