1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

God to hold press conference today at noon

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Showmeyourbolt, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Thanks to joelbolt at Chargers.com for the heads up.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    guess we'll find out who's been released and the like

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    This was a great PC last year... AJ is such a straight shooter no BS, this is the most informative 20-30 mins all year. cannot wait. :yes:

How many times will he say 'we're going in a different direction'?. I say 4 times. :lol:

4. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

My question is has Moses started up Chargers mountain yet? Has he seen the burning bush, which happens to burn powder blue and gold! Ha!

Stan :rivers17:

5. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

I am just hoping he will say..."It is what it is"

Stan :rivers17:

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    I see Acee has reported McCree is gone already.......

Not a big surprise but now it is here, 'we're going in a different direction'. :tup:

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Word is Jesus will in fact be attending the press conference.

8. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Chargers release free safety McCree

Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

10:53 a.m. February 28, 2008

The Chargers have released free safety Marlon McCree.

The long-anticipated move comes as free agency is set to begin at 9:01 p.m. today.

McCree, 30, started every game at free safety the past two seasons after signing as a free agent from Carolina in 2006. It became apparent midseason that rookie Eric Weddle would take over the starting job in 2008, and that is when McCree's departure became all but a formality. The team will announce the move at a noon press conference, in which general manager A.J. Smith discusses the Chargers' offseason plans.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    Does anyone know a radio station that has AJ's PC audio live?. :icon_shrug:

My feed via chargers.com is crap... :no:

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Mine's dogshiit too. I'm gonna listen to the archived version later

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    Glad I'm not the only one. jeeeeeeeeez. I did hear him say we're going in another direction about the kicker Rayner, ha ha.

12. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    This feed sucks. AJ said that they're going in a different direction, but then the feed craps out before I can hear who it is. You would think that they could get some live media from the event....

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    Olivea cut, wow.

14. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    From the blog:

It had been rumored that the Chargers would release a couple veterans before free agency starts, and A.J. Smith confirmed that at his press conference.

Fullback Lorenzo Neal, safety Marlon McCree and tackle Shane Olivea were informed of their release Thursday morning.

--------

The Bolts have six Exclusive Rights Free Agents. Offensive tackle Jeromey Clary, wide receiver Malcom Floyd, cornerback Cletis Gordon, safety Steve Gregory and defensive tackle Brandon McKinney will be offered tenders, meaning that they do not have the opportunity to negotiate with other clubs.

Running back Tyronne Gross is an exclusive rights free agent but will not be tendered.

-------

As typical in the weeks immediately following the NFL season, several Chargers underwent operations to repair injuries suffered during the season. Eight players have already undergone surgeries.

That group includes defensive tackle Ryon Bingham (shoulder, 4-6 week recovery); Clary (shoulder, 3-4 months); tight end Antonio Gates (toe, 4-6 months); guard Mike Goff (knees, 4-6 weeks); Pinnock (knee, 4-6 months); quarterback Philip Rivers (knee, 4-6 months); linebacker Brandon Siler (shoulder, 4-6 weeks); and center Cory Withrow (knee, 2-4 weeks).

Others who will have operations but have not yet scheduled them include tackle Marcus McNeill (shoulder), linebacker Shawne Merriman (knee) and defensive tackle Jamal Williams (knees).

15. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    Sounds like AJ told a reporter to F off, then the feed dropped out again.....

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Lol God's powers
    So Neal and Olivea were just outright cut, wow

17. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

Yep, that means that we're definitely getting lineman in the draft or free agency. We don't have much depth there right now.

18. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    Chargers Blog:

A.J. said that the Chargers will likely be observers and not participators during the opening few days of free agency. This is a good roster, and there aren't any plans to make a big move in free agency.

19. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    Some more stuff from the blog:

Draft is wide open

A.J. said he won't consider drafting a kicker, punter or tight end. Every other position is an option. This draft is about replenishing some depth.

"We're loaded with players that we like," Smith said.

----------

The Chargers are resigned to the fact that Drayton Florence and Michael Turner will move on with "big money" contracts.

A.J. is more optimistic about Billy Volek. Billy will test the market but could come back if the right situation doesn't come along elsewhere. If not, the Chargers are comfortable with having Charlie Whitehurst as their number two.

----------

A.J. said that Lorenzo, Shane and Marlon requested their release. The Chargers tried to trade Lorenzo last week but weren't able to.

In particular, A.J. said he had a great phone conversation with Lorenzo this morning. He thanked him for all he's done and wished him well.

-----

The last entry really intrigued me. Essentially these three players requested their release, I'm assuming because they were going to lose their starating jobs, or had already lost them. If you don't want to compete for a roster spot, then you don't belong on the team. This isn't the Marty Schottenheimer Chargers that let veterans keep starting jobs just because they were veterans.

20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    Apparently AJ blew up at one of the questioners, anyone catch this?... Wonder will it be edited out of the version we're gonna get on the site later?...

• Like Like x 1
  21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I think AJ needs to never pick another safety in free agency ever again (draft, the jury's out).

And that last quote's kinda weird; Mcree and Neal shouldn't really apply in that. Olivea definitely didn't take his job seriously, but I imagine Mcree did it was just that Weddle wasn't ready to go and Neal's the best at what he does

The slap was needed for some but not for guys like Neal

22. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    definately need an OT now (or 2)...

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And OG ..... & DL ...... maybe a safety.

24. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    And what depth do we have at safety?
    2nd yr man Weddle and the worst player on our entire roster in Clinton Hart?

I think AJ will sign a safety or take a shot at Kenny Phillips if he falls far enough.

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't know. If Mcree is gone, that's what we need IMO.
    Weddle is great but he's only going into his second year.
    Hart has his moments but is not a starter IMO.
    I think we need a guy who's been around as a starter to mentor Weddle and can be an impact with Hart to help out.

26. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I wanted Ken Hamlin. Stupid Cowboys.