1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Goff fuggin' SUCKS

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Dielman, Hardwick and Goff collectively had the WORST game an offensive line interior has had for the Chargers since 2003. It was a pathetic example of line play.

This isn't a new thing, as Marty even commented a couple times over the last few weeks about the OL not winning battles. During the SF game, I kept the bino's on the OL quite a bit, and watched Lekerkkerkkerkeker a bunch. Twice, IMO Leckerk..... saved Goff's *** by making plays. Once he chipped a DL that Goff whiffed on, and once he made the under move to get a DE on a stunt that appeared like it should have been a switch (but Goff didn't switch).

This KC game, Goff absolutely got worked, especially in the first half. No push at all in the running game. Weak pass blocking, and bad middle blitz pickups.

I guess I need to go through the game to find the play so I can be specific and others can view it, but on one of the pass deflections the Chiefs got on Rivers, CBS showed a replay of the guy that did it.

He didn't rush hard, but settled near the line. He was double teamed by Hardwick and Goff, but directly in front of Goff. Goff seemed to "coast" on that play, seeing the DT wasn't rushing hard. The DT put up his arms to block the pass, and at the last second, Goff finally did something and gave him a double hand punch into the shoulder pads.

This is an example of the "little things" that make a difference in games. Goff should have buried that guy earlier on the play, so Rivers would have had a throwing lane. Also, when the DT first started to put up his hands, he should have given him the hand punch - but LOWER. Every offensive lineman from high school on up knows that if you "gut punch" a DL, he will automatically LOWER his hands and help prevent pass deflections.

Clean up the little things, and get another nasty and physical guard to replace the journeyman at RG.

Try Alphabet at RG. He can't be any worse than that piece of ****, Mike Goff.

• Like Like x 1
  2. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Shammy I have to agree with ya on this only because I do not tape any games and go on my first viewing, but something definitely ain't right. Some here can make fun of fast food Fonoti, but ya know something.....the man cleared lanes!
    Unfortunately, this may be the passing of the torch...from LT to Rivers, which in the long run will help LT out. But the way things are going, I hate to see the latter years of LT show as him struggling. AJ will address the line as he did the defense, I just hope LT is around to see what he started finish on top!!!:icon_toast:

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Simple fact is that there is a reason that LT has resorted to tip-toeing to the line instead of hitting the hole like he has in the past. The line as a whole stinks. Goff is too slow to ever get into the second level and do some real damage, and LT is the main recipient of his suckiness. I am fed up with it. Goff would make a great backup, but as a starter he's a joke.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Goff...????

Hell Olivea and Hardwick should be back ups.

From our Center to the whole right side of our O-line sucks asss.

McNeill and Dielman are the only two worth a fuc. And now maybe Oben !?!?!?!?

I will keep saying this until we get better beef because it is what it is ... fuggly. :tdown:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880
    Dielman I'm losing faith in because his technique really hasn't been improving. The desire and heart's there but it isn't matched. Hardwick I haven't liked. Goff is outta here at the end of the year so thats that
    Olivea will move inside to guard in all likeliness (maybe LG, i think he'd be good there) and we'll rebuild the right side.

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Fuc Olivea....I am not sure is can handle guard the more I watch him.

7. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    you think lekekekrekrekrekrker would make a better guard or someting? We still have huge holes to address next draft, will there be any good o-line FA's next year?

8. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    ahahha LEKEKEREKREKEKEKEKKEKEKRERERRERERERRE

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I wondered when you were gonna chime in...y'all haven't lived til you watch a game with Shammie!!:icon_eek: :icon_mrgreen: :lol:

10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I agree. Something needs done with the interior lineman. I think were stuck with hardwick so that leaves improving the guard spots.

All I know is ohio state and michigan have the best lineman in college.

11. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Shammy...

Did you ever know that you're my hero?

The answer is this dude right here. Being a Boston College superfan I know him very well. He is the REAL DEAL and he's barely 6'1... very unique for a guard and plays to the QB's advantage as regards seeing throwing lanes and also in terms of leverage... I love guards with squatty builds and they are rare (leisure endorses his bubble). This dude is Luis Castillo as an olineman. Never loses his balance, never gets blown back and knows who to pick up. As of this moment he is a better guard than Goff.

[​IMG]

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup.

Put Lekerkerker's *** at RG and Oben at RT and bench Goff and Olivea.

13. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    can someone put up some videos on the o-line.

nice thread shammy...

14. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

I was glad you came over, and I hope we get to do it again soon !!!

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yup, real soon, Bro!!:tup: :icon_toast:

16. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    someone needs to kick goff in the nuts for playing like a scrub yesterday

17. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I've been on the Goff as a backup guard and moving Olivea to replace him at the RG spot for months now. I feel Cory Lekkerkerker would be a better RT than Olivea, and Olivea a better RG than Goff.

Either that, or spend our first 3 picks on OL in 2007.

18. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Honest ...... right now I'd put Lekk in at RT, move Olivea to RG, and sit fuggin' Goff on the damn bench.

19. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    fine with me:tup:

20. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Move Olivea to guard and that nukes our chances to successfully execute like 20% of our running plays. Forget about anything which requires Olivea to move... dude is slow as molasses and can't throw a block on the move. The only offensive lineman we have who is great blocking laterally is McNeill with Hardwick possessing some skill as well. Goff Olivea and Dielman are too damn obese to chop block like Hardwick can and stand too upright to block like McNeill can. If you don't want to bend your knees at least bend your damn waist and don't run right into a defender like you're running towards a bus stop to catch a bus.

21. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

I'm on everybody's list, but they all have different titles !!!

Seriously, we need the right side of the OL fixed. Olivea would make a damn good OG, if they can find a stud OT for that side.

Hardwick needs to add another 20 lbs. The supposed 20 lbs he added this offseason made him look thinner. Dielman hasn't really plastered anyone since the preseason.

But Goff is the main target of my rant. He gives SD nothing in the pulling game, and makes only 10-15% of his downfield blocks. One play vs. SF probably would have gone for a TD if he hadn't fallen down when he got past the LOS. He's a journeyman who is absolutely SUCKING right now.

Goff has risen to Ankle Biter status in my eyes. Both are fuggin' horrible.

22. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Then have LT and Turner run to the left all the time, the way Larry Johnson and Shaun Alexander have been running left 75% of the time last year and most of this year.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880
    after we get another first for turner one first will go to Kyle Young at RG and the other to Justin Blaylock at RT

24. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I don't endorse Oben as a RT.

Oben's game is about finesse and technique. He never was a very good drive blocker, and below average at getting out into the 2nd level and finishing blocks. Oben's strength was as a pass blocker on the blind side. Add in more limitations from his foot injury, and SD wouldn't be upgrading at all by playing him anywhere on the OL.

If he's activated, it's to serve as an emergency OT backup.

25. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I don't agree. I'd rate our starting OL for 2nd level (screens, sweeps, etc) blocking as follows:

1. Dielman
    2. Hardwick
    3. Olivea
    4. McNeill
    5. Goof

Dielman and Hardwick get high marks from me on their athleticism in getting to the 2nd level and for finishing their blocks. Olivea isn't too far behind them, but not at their level. McNeill can clear space right in front of him, but isn't real good at finishing a block while on the move. Goff RARELY can finish a 2nd level block.

26. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    SAnta's shopping list for next off season. So find at least one improvement starter for the o-line possibly two. Plus a very good inside linebacker and possibly an outside linebacker.

And maybe a better saftey.

Its possible. With a little luck.

27. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Shammy your wisdom sends chills down my spine :icon_eek:

:icon_bow:

Did you see some guys suggesting Oben be moved to guard? LOL..

BTW ANT I am not a fan of Kyle Young especially at RG nor am I a fan of Justin Blalock especially at RT (better suited as a guard IMO). We want a RT in this draft we go right for Jake Long if he declares :tup:

Keep your eye on OT Joe Staley from my beloved CMU Chippewas. He is 6'5 300 pounds and runs a 4.8

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    RT is not as demanding as LT and Oben locked it down. We are assuming his foot is not 100% and that may not be the case. He may be 100% and even at 90% he is better than Olivea...way better.

O-Line is all about technique and leverage and where a savvy vet knows how to get it done.

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    We need a O-tackle, guard, center and a nose tackle and a defensive tackle