1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Going into week 8 and the Chargers season is just about over.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I recall the summer that the Chargers announced the hiring of Norv Turner. I was extremely upset. I looked at his record as a head coach and slapped my forehead. I looked at what I knew of his ability to motivate players and kicked the dog. I made a lot of conclusions based on my extremely limited knowledge and shook my fist to the heavens… I was an unhappy Chargers camper.

However, once training camp started, I vowed to support the Head Coach of my team and I did that for 3 years. Now I have to say that is over. I watched games throughout those three years, and thought that the team could have been better prepared, but they still played football to a level that made me know they could compete at the upper levels.

This season though, through seven games the Chargers sit at 2-5, and their play has shattered any confidence I had in this team’s ability to compete at a level needed to win games and move into the playoffs. This season has seen just about every melt down on special teams a person can imagine.

Now some will argue that Norv Turner, is focused on the offense, not the Special Teams. I myself have leveled that very argument. But allow me to suggest that after the third time a game’s loss was laid at the feet of the special teams that the Head Coach becomes responsible.

Norv Turner is not the offensive coordinator. That is his focus, his back ground and what made him famous… This I understand. But his job it to be the HEAD COACH of the San Diego Chargers, to have control of the entire team. The buck has to stop somewhere and it stops at Coach Turner.

There have been miscues on the offense that have led me to believe that this team, especially on offense has lost confidence in their ability to score on any team. Last season if the Chargers had the ball last, they were going to win. This season, four of the five losses, the Chargers had the ball last and failed to get the win, or the tie to extend the game.

That my friends is a very frightening thought for me, that the arguably most feared offense of last season is now the cowardly lions of the AFC West… That is Norv’s back yard right there. Teams are not surprised by what we are doing. They are able to see the run before the ball is hiked, and they while respecting the Chargers on offense are not frightened by it.

Now, the game against the new England Patriots saw 4 turnovers in less than 15 minutes. The Chargers have in seven games exceeded their turnover total of last season. They are not protecting the ball, and they are lacking ball awareness.

The two events that occurred against the Patriots that made me jump off the Norv Turner band wagon was the fact that two turnovers were because the players completely gave up the ball. One happened when young Wide Receiver Richard Goodman, fresh off the practice squad got up from receiving the ball, leaving it on the ground. The problem was he was not touched down. He gave up the ball, he lacked the awareness that this was not college, and the ball was live.

The next was when Quarterback Philip Rivers passed the ball laterally to Fullback Jacob Hester. Hester was more interested in showing frustration at his missing the pass than covering the ball, which the Patriots picked up and ran towards the end zone.

Those two costly turnovers that solidified for me that these young men are not being properly prepared to go out and play football.

Is it that there is too much a ‘Club Daygo’ atmosphere at Chargers Park? Is it that there is too little acceptance of accountability? Or is it that the team that could compete against any team just last season has lost all testicular fortitude and talent during the off season? Who is to say, but myself, as a fan of the Chargers will no longer sit and say ‘Norv will get things fixed!’ because I no longer believe that to be the case.

What really burns my buttocks about all of this is the Defense is playing to a level that we SHOULD be able to beat all the teams we lost to. If it were not for the offense and special teams being is such a generous mood and giving points away to the opposition left and right we would have beaten them because we are watching one of the better defensive units in the NFL playing in Chargers uniforms right now.

Their efforts are wasted, and players like Shaun Philips needs to start knocking heads in the locker room and tell the other 2/3 of the team that it is unacceptable to give games away. Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera is the only coach right now on the team that I have any confidence in. I believe the Chargers could get 8 wins this season, only because of the defense.

The rest of the team is playing some of the poorest football I have seen since the Ryan Leaf era. The Chargers need to right the ship alright, and that may require setting Norv and several other coaches adrift in a life boat and chugging along without them. While they are at it, several under-achieving players, and players who lack awareness of the ball or ability to protect the ball should be set afloat as well.

It is time to get the ‘Club Daygo’ atmosphere out of Chargers Park. Make players, Coaches, and the front office accountable for the play of the Chargers.

Anything less is unacceptable.

That is my opinion, what is yours?

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I was also sad the day that Norv was hired. I did not think that he was that much of an improvement over Marty. I was also no Marty fan.
    I was in full Rex Ryan mode. Looking back on it now maybe that is what we needed. A coach that could kick these players in the butt.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Can you say.....

Chicken Little ?

4. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

AND WHO IS KING CHICKEN LITTLE ?

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That would be you Trumpy. Week in, week out you are the consistent Chicken Little. Props to you CL... Props to you.

6. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    What was the main reason Norv was hired (all joking aside). Was it for his offensive genious or was it for his ability to teach and bring along young QB's? If it was for his ability with young QB's then his job is done. And anything that has to do with the offense at this point, I could care less who/if we get (if Norvie is ever let go) Rivers controls this offense and if he doesn't I'm sure he has the ability to ala Payton Manning. And again....no loss if Norv is gone.

One thing I do know, whne you work as a team and your in trouble you expect to look at your leader and not see a lost look or confusion. Can the Charger players say they do?

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    At least I never said the season was over.

I said we would go no where and we were in serious trouble.

Now fans are starting to believe and freaking listen.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You always say the season is over. Then you will tell everyone to "Wake the F up" like you are some grand football mind...

Can you refute anything I posted? Anything?

If not the STFU and step off.

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I have NEVER said this.....EVER.

However, you will find an old post and alter it to suit you.

I saw this coming in the PRE-freaking season. The same excuse cards were used. It is "pre-season." The ignorant accept that phrase as mantra.

I call it the way I see it.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So in other words no you cant refute anything I wrote, and you are just trying to swing you little tally whacker around so people think you are something big...

OK captain bravado.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

To be fair T, Conc never said the season was over. He said it's just about over

12. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I remember the day Norv was hired. I had a terrible feeling he would destroy this team. My worst fears have come true. Norv needs to go...

13. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    I know I've rubbed it in Matty's face a little bit lately, but I have to say, I understand the frustration most Charger fans are feeling right now. Probably the worst feeling in football is realizing that a team you have come to love, that has come so close to greatness on multiple occasions, is regressing...due to age, injury or just poor play (or all of the above).

Taking a huge step back is always frustrating, because it feels like a lost season, and it also feels like you have to go into the dreaded "rebuilding mode" like my Chiefs have suffered through for three years (and are in fact still going though).

But...on the bright side...I do not think, even if San Diego tanks it the rest of the season, that the process will be quite as painful in San Diego as it has been here in the heartland, mainly because, I think you still have a core group of players who are in their prime (we seemed to lose EVERYONE in the span of 2 years). You also have (no matter how whiny I think he is), a legitimate franchise quarterback. Few teams in the league can say that.

However, I do not believe the line that so many people say, "The Chargers are so much more talented than other teams. Why are they losing?" First of all, there has never been a narrower gap between the haves and have nots when it comes to talent than there is now in the NFL. EVERY team has talent. You can't ever rely simply on that for wins like teams could in the days before free agency.

To me, Dallas and San Diego are almost mirror-images of each other - talented teams of which much was expected which are both performing well under those expectations. I believe teams like that can often benefit much more (or...I should say, much faster) from a coaching change than teams requiring a full top to bottom rebuild (as long as the core of the team buys in to the new administration's way of doing things).

So personally, I think Norv has to go. I was never impressed with him, but I think it is clear now that he has completely lost this team. The good news is though, that the door of opportunity has not slammed totally shut on the Chargers like it has for some teams. Sure, it may be unlikely for them to make a run this year, but I don't doubt that the Bolts will reload quickly and be quite dangerous next year and beyond (if not earlier).

And before anyone thinks any of this comes from any kind of high horse...I am the FIRST to tell you...any horse I am riding is a Shetland pony at best right now lol.

My Chiefs are STILL rebuilding. They are making good strides, but are by NO means a great team. We're still working on just being a GOOD team. We are the benificiaries of a down year for the Chargers and a weak schedule, but we will TAKE it, and hopefully grow in the process to the point where we can realistically WIN the games against the best teams in the league instead of just playing them close.

14. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Debatable. Goodman said that he thought that the Safety touched him down. Whether or not any of us want to believ him is another question. And Hester said he believe that he was infront of Rivers. So to say they gave up on the ball.......depends on who you want to believe.

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    In the past several gameday threads, Concs "it is over" is in there BUT I am too lazy to look for it to use it as ammo.

Conc knows it and will not refute it so the thread title is semantics to cover his chicken little-ness which runs to the core.

Ouch.

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I thought that maybe the defenders foot grazed his back. I had to see the replay a few times and we did not get the perfect camera shot to see if the defenders toe did graze Goodman. He gets a pass on that one and the benefit of this fans doubt.

17. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    The one angle I saw it look like he missed him by quite a bit. But every Patriot around him knew he wasn't touched because the second that ball came out they were after it. Based on his quick reaction to try and jump back on it I would assume the Pats were yelling to get it.

18. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    I think the frustration is from the fact that you don't see the well-coached teams "giving up" on ANY balls. They play to the echo of the whistle...and sometimes beyond. The thing that struck me was that the moment the ball was left on the ground by Goodman, every single Patriot in the area scrambled for it. They didn't think. They reacted as if it were second nature - as if their coach MADE it that way.

That's not talent. That's good coaching and fundamental play. When you match that WITH good talent, that's a winning team.

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

20. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I don't really care that much at this point. They are lazy and sloppy. That's not going to get fixed until the Chargers are exposed for the frauds they are. So, I figure if they can rally to finish 3-13, then maybe these fools will understand getting slapped across their smug faces and take notice for next year. Maybe not, but reality can be a cruel bitch.

Also, I have no answers or anything.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I had not heard either say anything. I dont get the post game stuff here in Puerto Rico. I was going by what I saw on the field. Hester just stood there, then after a moment realized he should cover the ball.

Regardless, YOU PLAY TO THE WHISTLE. This is the third time I can recall this being an issue this season. That is coaching.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Laughable coming from you Tony. You flip flop more than a landed fish. Everyone knows it so stop the false bravado.

So let me throw down the gauntlet Tony. You show me where you disagree with what I posted. Give detailed rebuttle to it, and we can discuss that.

Lets see what you have.

23. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    This is something MANY people predicted happening. I was booted off two Chargers message boards and even banned from this one for speaking the truth.

These homers added to the problem by never keeping horrible decisions in check. They accepted anything and everything the brand fed them and pushed it onto the fans via the message boards. HOW IN THE WORLD ARE YOU CONFUSED AS TO HOW WE GOT THIS BAD?

If it wasnt sad, it would just be funny. Surprised??? LOL. We've been predicting this for YEARS!

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You were not banned here for speaking the truth. You were banned here for fighting, leveling insults and being a general pain in the ***.

25. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Scratch the insult part - you didnt do crap to other members who insulted me. Scratch the fighting part, again, you only care one way.

I'll take the pain in the *** part as the part where I was right and you hated hearing it. In fact, saying anything short of "you were 100% right" is pretty much an insult to your own reality. You know better.

26. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    I am not sure this is entirely accurate. I mean, if simply disagreeing with the claim that the Chargers were/are the best team in the NFL is/was enough to get one banned, I'd have been banned after week one.

27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I can't get over all the in-fighting round here, I guess it comes with the team losing and generally looking like shite.

I was incredibly disappointed with the hiring of Norv. Not that there were any other outstanding candidates interviewed at the time. I mean Rex Ryan was the best of them, that sums it up. The Spanos' settled. They went with AJ's lapdog and look where we are. I totally go along with what most are saying about how poorly prepared we seem to be. Contrast that with the Patriots. U think man for man they are a vastly superior team. Not a chance. Instead you have no name guys all over the place looking like real football players, hustling all the time. Yesterday was a perfect example of a well drilled well coached team playing a bunch of 'laissez faire' bums. Many tell us Hester is a 'football player', what was he doing stopping then before a whistle?. I'm not 100% down on him but I'm close.

I still believe we have the makings of a real contender here. I'd make a few changes for sure e.g. put Green back in at RG, have Siler play more than Coop, get Gregory back in there when he's given the OK, have Goodman return kicks (like Trumpie he gets a pass from me, he made the catch the only time he was targeted). I won't even get started on the coaching.

28. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Then Goodman gained 25 yards on a catch and run, tripped to the grass at the end of his first NFL reception without being touched down, got up and left the ball lying in front of him.

Seemingly realizing his error after starting back to the huddle, he reached back to grab the ball. Patriots safety James Sanders already had it.

“Catching that ball in front of the safety, the way he rolled over me, I thought he touched me,” Goodman said. “. . . We talk all week about protecting the ball. So the last thing I would do is catch the ball and let the ball go. I’ll be the first to say it’s my bad. After catching the ball, down or not down, I need to catch the ball and toss it to the ref."

I know I say the Hester comment somewhere but can't find it.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah, when I first saw the play I was screaming in the hotel "YOU ARE NOT DOWN!" because the defender jumped right over him.

My point, is even if they think it is a dead ball, they should play and protect the ball to the whistle.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah it can get ugly around here after losses. You are right we (me esspecially) tend to fight first and ask questions later. I will try and work on that.

I am not sure if AJ was the only one pushing for Norv. I think the Spanoses wanted him more. He had previously worked for the organization and they knew what they were getting personality wise. Just my guess.

They could, but I am so dishartened by what I see. I at this point cant see them bouncing back, not with this lack of focus. It hurts me to say that too.