1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Going out on a limb...We are having a REALLY good draft!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    The more I look into who we have picked up and the overall needs we are addressing in complimenting an already talented roster, I'm impressed with what we're getting. Here is my quick overview of our draft so far.

Round 1. Larry English, OLB- When his name came up, I think it was disappointing to most Chargers fans....The more I heard about some of the things we are toying with scheme wise (Think NY Giants phenomenal pass rush rotation)....combined with seeing what an obvious beastly pass rusher this guy is...I'm excited. He is naturally gifted and is a hard solid tackler...something this defense has been seriously missing. After getting beyond the initial overreaction of this pick being designed as a replacement for Merriman...It makes sense to me. We NEED a lot more pressure on the QB and it will take more than just Shawne. Merriman's return brings our pass rush from poor to respectable. This guy added to our stable of pass rushers gives us the potential to be good if not great.

Round 3. Luis Vasquez, OG- This is probably the pick I'm most excited about right now. Two things immediately jump out. His freakish size at 338lbs....and his nickname "Nasty". I love it. We have had a bunch of soft *****es on the right side of the line for far too long. I have been screaming for a mauler for a long time and I think he will start for us at either RG or RT.

Round 4. Vaughn Martin, DT- Love this gamble. Totally raw physical specimen from Canada who has obviously intrigued a lot of scouts and teams...We have been worried about a long-term solution to aging Jamal for some time...and this guy may be it after some work is put in from our staff at this level. You can't teach the raw size and power that this guy possesses...He's built like Albert Haynesworth. It sounds like the guy has the ability to play some DE in a 3/4 also. He is a project that will take some time but worth the investment for the huge upside.

Round 4. Tyronne Green, OG- More BEEF. I've been wanting a draft like this forever. Never the sexy picks..but we needed to start addressing the OLine before rounds 6 and 7 when we are just taking scraps after all the prime sirloin is off the table.

Round 4. Gartrell Johnson, RB- We didn't need a superstar here. He looks very impressive to me on film and I think he's going to make this team as our power back / change of pace / insurance for injury.

Round 5. Brandon Hughes, CB- Likely a BPA pick. He is fast as hell and will probably be helpful on ST as a gunner.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Great post; I agree!! :icon_toast: :tup: :bolt:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I think this draft will surprise people, i like the picks the more I understand and read about them and frankly those are teh picks that end up being big surprises (Michael Turner, Darren Sproles, Antonio Gates, Nick Hardwick, Vincent Jackson)

4. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I also think it's pretty telling that some of the picks most of us would have been ecstatic with at #16....Maualuga in particular....were significantly overrated by the non-professional draft geeks...Kiper, etc. The scouts and GMs know better than anyone (well...maybe not the Raiders scouts or Al Davis) what to look for to see how a player projects at the NFL level. Maualuga was obviously FAR from a sure thing as even a good NFL MLB...much less a star....I also heard that there were concerns about his shoddy tackling, which we definitely don't need.

• Like Like x 1
  5. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    i am totally with you, im stoked, what was our problems last year..

1. pass rush
    2. stopping the run
    3. offensive power running game

what do we do?

1.go get a monster pass rusher
    2.go get a monster DT/DE
    3.go get what we all been talking about for 3 years BEEEEEEFFF!!! and then we go out and get a POWER RUNNER!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I don't think it will be too long before we start seeing results from this group. The intensity is going to turn up in TC. Also, we still may not be done in FA. We are traditionally late players.

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Some people are saying that we are having a good draft and are b****ing about the people who think we are not having a good draft. I have to say that I am not impressed with it. Just remember there is a 50-50 chance that you are right. We will not know for a few years so just stop thinking that you are right. :icon_tease:

8. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    then again nothing really impressing you anyway lol

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    copy-paste?

anyway, fixed it for you

10. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    I Agree...

11. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    True :lol:

12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    By me posting that it is a bad draft is the same as you posting that is a good draft. I am not complaining about you *****ing about how good you think it is. :lol:

13. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    ahhahah:tup:

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    this is the draft that injects some much needed "**** you" into the lines and team - players who are pissed off and bring the pain

15. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    This is one of the smartest posts I have ever read from you. Nice one!

16. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Anyone want to do a draft review article for the front page of the site?

17. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    True, but you saying that we are "bit**ing" would be the same as you "bit**ing" about us "bit**ing" :icon_tease:

anyways, hope you're eventually wrong :tup:

18. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Beef. Check

Pass rush. Check

Safety. Check

Power back. Check

They definitely addressed our needs, who gives a **** if some think the wrong people in those needs were taken, we got what we needed, let's seeif the talent evaluators did their homework.

If we had not tackled major areas od concern I could see why fans would be upset, that's not the case here.

19. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Love our 6th rounder also. Check out this little tidbit on Ellison from the East West Shrine game.

01/13/2009 - East-West Shrine Monday practice: USC safety Kevin Ellison mixed it up throughout the practice; he'll probably start a fight before the week's over. On one sideline he shoved TCU's Aaron Brown out of bounds like it was the fourth quarter, then he popped a back in the hole on the next play with a little more physicality than was necessary in this initial practice. Given his high, stiff backpedal during drills earlier in the day, Ellison needed to make scouts remember he's a beast in the box. These practices aren't exactly the best way to judge linebackers or safeties, however, as they don't get a chance to show their full physicality and tackling abilities. Over the next couple of days, the hitting will get more intense and we'll see who brings their "A" game. - Chad Reuter, The SportsXchange, NFL Draft Scout

Seems to me that the emphasis on this draft has been PHYSICAL, PHYSICAL, PHYSICAL.....no more finnesse team garbage.

Ellison's bio and these stories remind me of another late round safety drafted by us in 1998 :tup:

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It's a bit different. The positive comments I've seen are from people who actually took the time to research the players we picked before reacting, whereas you posted, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" a nanosecond after each pick was announced. Just because we didn't draft the guys you wanted doesn't mean it was a bad draft.

21. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    don't you mean 94? (I assume you mean Rodney) :icon_shrug:

22. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    It's a great draft for the simple reason that we adressed area's where we are weak. Weather the players pan out or not is now up to them and the coaches. I like the fact Rivera has so much to teach and mentor now. A mistake would have been going after "the best" players and not good tallent that we need. Depth is key.

23. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I really like the looks of this draft.

Larry English is a pass rushing monster
    Louis Vasquez is a huge guard
    Vaughn Martin could surprise people and be a monster. Plus how can I not support a fellow Canadian(who was born in Jamaica :lol:)
    Tyronne Green brings the beef as well
    Gartrell Johnson, meh
    Brandon Hughes looks like he can ball
    Kevin Ellison just looks a nasty mother ****er who wants to tear off some heads.

24. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    You wouldn't want to mess with this chargers draft class. Theres some very tough tough dudes in this year chargers draft.

WE got tougher. Which is what we needed to do.

25. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

Oops...Yep....Damn that was a long time ago. I got the Chargers Superbowl twisted with the Padres World Series appearance. I knew Hot Rod was drafted the year we went to the SB and was on the team.

26. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Great gamble in round 7 also on Demetrius Byrd. One of the fastest WR in the draft this year and very similar to Buster. Hopefully he recovers from the accident well.

27. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Nice thing for the chargers to do it. It should help give byrd some incentive to get well.

28. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Here's the proof!

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    The draft was all about toughness and adding, as I keep mentioning, a helping of "nastiness and **** you" to a team that had been called soft and finesse for two years. That is well needed. And this draft can also be seen as looking to 2010 with English (for Merriman/Phillips) and Martin (Jamal) and even Hughes (Gordon/Oliver/Cromartie)

30. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    two of the nicknames picked up today were "Vicious" and "Nasty"

seems like AJ and the boys are tryin' to make a point...