1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Golden Eagle Qb Proud To Wear #17

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AthensPhilipRiversFan, Dec 10, 2006.

1. AthensPhilipRiversFan

AthensPhilipRiversFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +331
    http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvillet...170.xml&coll=1
    By MARK McCARTER
    (SEE LINK FOR COMPLETE ARTICLE)

Ezell follows Rivers' course to conclusion
    Athens QB who also wears No. 17 does star proud

BIRMINGHAM - The pregame message sent to San Diego, to the former No. 17 from Athens High, brought a response with an explanation. The Chargers are on a roll. The network boys were in town. Philip Rivers was slammed with some other media duties. Well ... that and Friday was his 25th birthday.

"No problem," began a second message to the West Coast. Then, for some levity, "Tell him the new No. 17 is a heck of a lot faster than the old No. 17. And he doesn't look nearly as funny throwing the ball."

We can tell him one other thing: The new No. 17 has a state championship.

Rob Ezell, the Golden Eagles' senior quarterback, led Athens to a 10-7 win over top-ranked Eufaula Friday night at Legion Field for the AHSAA Class 5A title.

Rivers, the scalding-hot young quarterback for the San Diego Chargers, found his Athens teams eliminated in the quarterfinals in each of his last two years. He still keeps tabs on Athens, and other area teams, and he e-mailed the Golden Eagles before their semifinal win over Johnson.

That both Rivers and Ezell wear No. 17 is more than coincidence. It was Ezell's choice.

"I wore 7 when I was in seventh grade, but a guy playing ahead of me had 7 so I knew I wasn't going to be able to wear it," Ezell said after compiling 217 yards of total offense in the win to earn MVP honors.

"I thought what other number would I want to wear. I thought, 'Philip wore 17. I think I really want to wear that number.' People say that puts extra pressure on you, but it represents all I want to be."

He has known Rivers since Philip umpired Ezell's Little League baseball games. Rob's dad, Garner, was the Athens High coach for nine years before becoming athletic director and assistant principal. He was succeeded as coach in 1996 by Steve Rivers, Philip's dad.

Both No. 17s put up crazy numbers. Rivers left N.C. State as the No. 2 passer in NCAA history. He passed for 2,023 yards as a senior, with 15 TDs. Ezell passed for 9,149 yards in his Athens career.

Ezell takes the same deep squat, like a man on a milking stool, as he goes behind the center. He even sounds a little like Rivers in his cadence.

In those days, Ezell was hanging around the football team and "got to know a lot of the players," he said.

"I just always noticed how (Rivers) carried himself, like you'd expect a winner to. You never saw him with any rough crowds. He was always clean-cut. You never saw him disrespect anybody.

"You don't think it'd make that big of a difference," Ezell continued. "But when you're a little kid and you see that, it makes a big impact."

• Like Like x 1
  2. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    17 and 21 are the best numbers to earn !

3. AthensPhilipRiversFan

Ratings:
    +331

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!:bolt: :bolt: :bolt:

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    56 and 93 and 76 aren't bad as well:yes:

5. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    He should be proud to wear a #17 jersey:icon_party:

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,456
    Big Phily Style is our BOY!!!!

7. AthensPhilipRiversFan

Ratings:
    +331
    :helm3: life is GOOD right now...fer sure!

8. AthensPhilipRiversFan

Ratings:
    +331
    Athens Golden Eagles State Champs Photos

if anyone is interested in seeing pictures from the Athens Golden Eagle playoff run and State Championship win....I'm gonna be putting together an online photo album. just lemme know and I'd luv to share the pics with ya.
    Just some good old fashioned high school football fun!!

Teresa

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172

Yes, ma'am!! :yes: :tup:

10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890

May we get some of those pics Ma'am please!!??

It will be appreciated.:yes: :tup: