1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gonzo about to be Gonzo

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by Ride The Lightning, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,628
    Just heard on Xtra 1360 that the Pads are working on a deal to get rid of Adrian Gonzales.

WTF? Ludicrious.

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    Every player has a price tag. There better be 2 or 3 big name early 20's hot prospects coming to us in this deal.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    my prediction

[​IMG]

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,628
    This is one of the reason why I LOATHE the Padres: ALWAYS trading away the best players for prospects. How about KEEP your badass players and BUILD AROUND THEM and possibly compete for a WS title, hmmm?

I still can't believe they let Peavy go. Retarded.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    What do you care? You're a Dodgers fan.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,641
    there's been rumors and reports but nothing that i could point to as a deal or approaching a deal. So I'd cool it a little before gloating about doom and gloom

7. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Dodger fan has his own problems to deal with.

LA Dodger Fans Worry About Owner's Divorce:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120024740

Within this article, there is this:

"Post-divorce(the Moores'), the Padres' payroll was slashed and expensive players, like pitcher Jake Peavy, a Cy Young Award winner an incontestable star, were traded for cheaper players to save money."

The Padres have a winky-dink payroll that got smaller after the divorce.

The Dodgers had a ginormous payroll. Who knows whats going to happen to it. :icon_eek:

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I hate discussions over rumors because people inevitably start *****ing and moaning about the front office doing something that hasn't even been done (perhaps yet).

Furthermore, while I think it's in their best interest to keep Adrian, trading him wouldn't completely be doom and gloom if they got a big enough deal in return.

I'll wait to see if Adrian is traded and if Adrian is traded I'll analyze the return and if it's not the King's ransom that I'd expect I'll start *****ing.

Until then, rumors are just rumors and there's no point in getting hot and bothered over them just because Randy Smith traded Fred McGriff, Roberto Alomar, and Gary Sheffield away a couple decades ago and a divorced owner (sound familiar Dodgers fans?) forced the GM's hand into dumping Peavy's salary this year. (Clayton Richards hasn't looked too bad, but I want Aaron Poreda to be lights out before I think that deal is ok)

Moorad is slowly taking over and has indicated payroll won't be as low this year so it isn't set in stone that Adrian is leaving.

9. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    What he said. Plus, while the Padres now know what they have to work with, in terms of money post-divorce, the Dodgers dont know because the McCourt's battle for the Dodgers has just begun...:popcorn:

10. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    If you get good talent in return it can be a good thing. That's the Marlins' model and they've won 2 WS. So it can't be an awful plan, but the key is getting good talent in return for the guys you trade. Easier said than done, but it can be done.

11. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Just once, I wish the Padres had an owner that wasn't afraid to "buy" a World Series title, like the Steinbrenners do.

Say what you will about the Yankees and their freewheeling, but paying top dollar for talent has gotten them 7 World Series appearances in the last 12 years, and 5 titles.

Yes, maybe San Diego isn't as large a viewing audience or following as New York, but I see it as a chicken-and-egg, "win it and they will come" type of scenario.

Start getting into the postseason regularly, as well as World Series appearances, and the fanbase will grow.

The Padres don't even really need to spend the $190 million that the Yankees do annually.

Just double the current amount, and they'll still be just $90 million or less than half the Yankees payroll.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    San Diego can sell out every game and they still wouldn't make half as much money as the Yankees do.

The Yankees bring in the majority of their profits through tv deals...TV deals that the Padres wouldn't get even if they won 110 games every year and 5 World Series in 10 seasons.

Businesses are generally not in the business of losing money and if the Padres tried to "buy" a World Series Yankees style they'd go bankrupt.

We don't want the Padres to follow the Yankees style (I also feel the need to point out that it took them a decade for their splurging strategy to work)

We need the Padres to follow the Marlins' path, who have won two World Series.

Although, I'm more interested in their strategy that won them the 2nd one, because the first one (which was a Yankees-lite strategy) lead to years of ineptitude after the owner had to fire sale the next year.

Because there's no guarantee they win the World Series if they go on a spending spree I'd much rather them NOT set themselves up for an inevitable fire sale the following season....which leads to more people complaining about them always trading their best players.

13. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    How much does a ticket cost for a Padres game?

They might be able to cover the payroll with the proper ticket price.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    The stadium would be barren if they rose ticket prices to the level that would be needed to cover a Yankees-level payroll...and then they wouldn't be able to cover the payroll because nobody would be going to the games.

The Yankees pay more for three players than most teams have on their entire payroll.

I'm not saying the Padres can't build a winning team, I'm just saying they can't do so the way you're proposing.

They need to build a much better farm system and be smarter in trades.

It's a simple fact of life in the baseball economy.

Until baseball installs a salary cap there is no possible way a team such as the Padres can compete with a team like the Yankees in free agency.