1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Good break down of our offseason status - Chargers prepared for 2010 offseason

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Mar 5, 2010.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    as of today --

http://www.chargers.com/news/press-releases/article-1/Chargers-prepared-for-2010-offseason/bc2bba90-6032-4a22-abf9-3df7398fe5c4

The Chargers made the necessary roster decisions in preparation for the official start of the 2010 offseason which begins at 9 pm PT Thursday.

The Chargers made the necessary roster decisions in preparation for the official start of the 2010 offseason which begins at 9 pm PT Thursday.

Among the decisions was the release of 12-year veteran defensive tackle Jamal Williams.

“This is a difficult time of year and the most difficult part of our job,” said General Manager A.J. Smith. “Jamal has been an anchor of our defense for 12 seasons. He’s battled courageously at one of the most punishing positions on the field, and I respect him immensely.”

The team also released veteran running back Michael Bennett, leaving the roster thin at the running back position.

“We have a plan for the offseason,” said Smith. “It’s a long offseason and we’ll have many options. We’re confident we’ll be able to add strong depth at all positions, including running back.”

Key decisions that needed to be made include what to do with the 21 player contracts that are due to expire at 9 pm Thursday. That includes seven Unrestricted free agents (UFA), 12 Restricted free agents (RFA) and two Exclusive Rights free agents (ERFA). Teams must make a contract offer (“tender”) to maintain negotiating rights to their Restricted and Exclusive Rights free agents, and the Chargers “tendered” all except three of the 14 players.

Restricted free agents, including wide receivers Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd, tackle Marcus McNeill, linebacker Shawne Merriman and running back Darren Sproles, may sign an offer sheet with another team. However the Chargers have the right to match the offer or be compensated with draft picks based on the size of the tender. All five of these players were tendered with the maximum tender. If one of those players signs an offer from another team and the Chargers choose to not match the offer, San Diego will receive that team’s first and third-round choices in this year’s draft.

“Our intentions are to have all of our tendered players back,” said Smith. “We feel good about these players and continuity is important to us.”

The Chargers have agreed on a two-year contract with DT Antonio Garay, who would have become a Restricted free agent.

As the term suggests, the Chargers hold exclusive negotiating rights to Exclusive Rights free agents linebacker Antwan Applewhite and fullback Mike Tolbert.

The Chargers hold no negotiating rights to their seven Unrestricted free agents: DE Alfonso Boone, TE Brandon Manumaleuna, C-G Dennis Norman, WR Kassim Osgood, T Jon Runyan, DT Ian Scott and TE Kris Wilson. The seven players are free to sign with any team without compensation to the Chargers. Of the seven, Norman, Osgood and Runyan definitely will not be returning.

The team will be looking at all options to add depth to its roster this offseason. The league’s free agent signing period begins at 9 pm PT. The Chargers, as one of the final eight playoff teams, can sign only one UFA with a first-year salary of $5.807 million or more. The team may sign additional UFAs at that salary range only after losing one at a comparable salary. It may sign an unlimited number of players with a first-year salary of up to $3.862 million. Teams that were in the Final Four (conference championship games) can only sign a UFA after losing a UFA, and they can only sign as many as they lost and only at comparable salaries.

In addition to free agency, the draft will be a major focus. Currently San Diego has the 28th choice in each of the draft’s seven rounds, except for the sixth round. The Chargers traded its sixth-round choice to the Houston Texans for defensive end Travis Johnson, a former first-round choice.

Now that more than six weeks have passed since the team’s last game, the Chargers also have a good feel for the health of their current roster, which will aid them in their future decisions. All of the players requiring surgery this offseason have either had their surgery or surgery is scheduled for the very near future.

“We feel all of our players returning from injury are on schedule and will be ready to participate fully in Training Camp in late July, and likely by Mini Camp in May,” said Smith.

Surgery update Injury Rehab Time (from date of surgery)
    LB Kevin Burnett Neck 3-5 months
    DE Luis Castillo Shoulder complete
    DE Jacques Cesaire Elbow, Knee complete
    C Nick Hardwick Shoulder complete
    DE Vaughn Martin Ankle 12 weeks
    G Scott Mruczkowski Elbow 2-4 weeks
    WR Legedu Naanee Foot 12 weeks
    P Mike Scifres Bilateral hernia 6-12 weeks
    S C.J. Spillman Shoulder 3-4 months
    G Louis Vasquez Knee 6-8 weeks

Below is the contract status for all Chargers as of March 4, including the size of the tender that each RFA was offered. The year indicates the last year of the player’s contract.

Under contract through 2015
    Philip Rivers

Through 2014
    Luis Castillo

Through 2013
    Larry English

Through 2012
    Kris Dielman
    Kevin Ellison
    Tyronne Greene
    Brandon Hughes
    Quentin Jammer
    Nate Kaeding
    Vaughn Martin
    Shaun Phillips
    Jyles Tucker
    Louis Vasquez

Through 2011
    David Binn
    Antoine Cason
    Buster Davis
    Steve Gregory
    Nick Hardwick
    Jacob Hester
    Mike Scifres

Through 2010
    Gary Banks
    Ryon Bingham
    Kevin Burnett
    Jacques Cesaire
    Stephen Cooper
    Antonio Cromartie
    Brandyn Dombrowski
    Antonio Gates
    James Holt
    Scott Mruczkowski
    Legedu Naanee
    Ogemdi Nwagbuo
    Paul Oliver
    Brandon Siler
    Billy Volek
    Eric Weddle

Exclusive Rights Free Agents*
    LB Antwan Applewhite ($470k)
    FB Mike Tolbert ($470k)

Restricted Free Agents**
    T Jeromey Clary … second-round tender ($1.684 million)
    LB Tim Dobbins … fifth-round tender ($1.176 million)
    WR Malcom Floyd … first & third-round tender ($3.168 million)
    C Eric Ghiaciuc … not tendered
    LB Marques Harris … not tendered
    WR Vincent Jackson … first & third-round tender ($3.268 million)
    DE Travis Johnson … first-round tender ($1.226 million)
    T Marcus McNeill … first & third-round tender ($3.168 million)
    LB Shawne Merriman … first & third-round tender ($3.269 million)
    RB Darren Sproles … first & third-round tender ($7.283 million)
    LB Dontarrious Thomas … not tendered
    QB Charlie Whitehurst … third-round tender ($1.176 million)

Unrestricted Free Agents***
    DE Alfonso Boone
    TE Brandon Manumaleuna
    C-G Dennis Norman
    WR Kassim Osgood
    T Jon Runyan
    DT Ian Scott
    TE Kris Wilson

* Exclusive Rights Free Agent (EFA) – A veteran player with two or less accrued seasons.

** Restricted Free Agent (RFA) – A veteran player that has 3-5 accrued seasons may sign an “offer sheet” with another team, but his original team has the option to match the offer (if it has sent the player a qualifying offer by today). If the original team decides not to match the offer, they can be compensated with draft picks from the other team. The new club has until April 15 to sign a RFA to an offer sheet. A RFA may sign only one offer sheet and the original club then has seven days to match the offer.
    *** Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA) – A player with six or more accrued seasons whose contract has expired. He is free to sign with any club, with no compensation owed to his old club, through July 22 (or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later). At that point, his rights revert to his old club if it made a "tender" offer (110 percent of last year's salary) to him by June 1. His old club then has until the Tuesday after the 10th week of the season (November 16) to sign him. If he does not sign by November 16, he must sit out the season. If no tender is offered by June 1, the player can be signed by any club at any time throughout the season.

2. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    So what is up with Osgood? I thought I heard that a couple of teams were definitely interested and that one of them promised him a starting WR job. I would think that as bad as he wants to be a WR that he would jump at the first chance he got in hopes that if he waited then that team would go in a different direction.
    Same thing with LT. You hear talk about some of the older RB's available, of which one already signed with a team (Taylor) and another is looking to be signed back on with the team that cut him (Thomas/Jets). I would have thought that some chatter would have been going on in regards to the best running back over the past 8-9 years visiting some teams.

3. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    The sad thing about Osgood is that if no team does sign him as a starting WR, he has essentially tweeted his way out of town.

Karma's a *****, am I right, Cromartie? :)

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    KO is a Jag as of 5 mins ago.

Good luck to him.

5. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Best of luck KO,

and thanks for waking me up DublinBolt!

6. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    In that system, he may need it :lol:.

But in all seriousness, I am glad that he finally gets the chance to prove himself--he has been patient for years, although I wish he exited San Diego with more class.

7. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Good luck to him. Everyone has known just how unhappy he was to not be given the chance and atleast he gets the chance to live out his dream. To me he has been nothing but class here and a great teammate.

Go luck Kassim! :icon_toast::popcorn:

8. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    I agree.

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I don't really care about Kasiim's tweeting.

He may act like a ***** on the internets but he still brought it on gameday.

That's more than can be said for Cromartie.

All that aside, since he insists on being a starting WR I'm not trying to suggest we should have done what it takes to keep him, but he will be missed on special teams nevertheless.

10. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    The whole tweeting thing.....same here, I could care less. That is what EVERYONE who is up on technology does. It's funny how fans want to hear what is going on with players and read forums like this and go to teasm websites to get the littlest of tidbits about a player. Yet when a player puts his business out there......fans revolt and want to get rid of them. :icon_huh:
    I don't think we will miss Osgood as many think. I'm sure we will find (existing on the team already) to be that gunner to get down field and down those balls inside the 10. I mean, you can only have one guy dedicated to do that. Know that he is gone we will find another to step up.

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm glad for him. He finally gets to make to decent money. Considering their roster, the Jags have no choice but to give him a decent shot.